Engine Monitor

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Thinking about an engine monitor for the Sport, engine is an O-320-E-3D. The Sport is not a fancy high dollar aircraft. I've been flying it for 23+ years and I would be lucky to get $30,000.00 for it at sale. I have maintained the Sport well over the years and the IA's that have signed off my annuals have commented who nice the plane is.

I think an engine monitor would better allow me to keep the power plant happy. Looking for comments/ideas of a reasonably priced monitor.

Thanks
BB

What about the rest of the panel? Is everything else up to date and working great? Updated to ADS-B yet?

I vacillate on this all the time. Most days I just want to switch from single cylinder EGT/CHT to a 4 cylinder and be done. Then I think about going to everything in an EMS and ripping out the remaining round dials. Then I think about switching my eFIS to one with all the EMS functions and be done with it.

Meanwhile...

What about the rest of the panel? Is everything else up to date and working great? Updated to ADS-B yet?
Everything is happy with the panel. I'm putting in a panel mounted intercom at the moment. ADS-B not required were I fly, but it's most likely in the bucket list in the future. Just installed an ACK E-04.

I vacillate on this all the time. Most days I just want to switch from single cylinder EGT/CHT to a 4 cylinder and be done. Then I think about going to everything in an EMS and ripping out the remaining round dials. Then I think about switching my eFIS to one with all the EMS functions and be done with it.

Meanwhile...
What makes me think an engine monitor would be good is the reliability of the 1974 analog engine gauges in the Sport. Fuel gauges and oil temp gauge are not real accurate. I've blocked off the oil cooler this winter and the oil temp shows barely in the green on the gauge. I have a CHT gauge installed but that's it. I figure EGT would allow me to set mixture better and fuel flow would be nice on longer flights.

Nice but looking for something under $2000. Going to replace shock discs before summer that will take 2 weekends and $3500.

Buy a used one, many upgrade to certified versions, you can find 730/830 for sale for less than $2000.

Tom

After having a engine failure, I would highly recommend a monitor, not only are they good for trending the engine and leaning it out just right and diagnosing problems, they also can buy you time between a problem and the engine calling it a day.

Last edited:
Thinking about an engine monitor for the Sport, engine is an O-320-E-3D. The Sport is not a fancy high dollar aircraft. I've been flying it for 23+ years and I would be lucky to get $30,000.00 for it at sale. I have maintained the Sport well over the years and the IA's that have signed off my annuals have commented who nice the plane is.

I think an engine monitor would better allow me to keep the power plant happy. Looking for comments/ideas of a reasonably priced monitor.

Thanks
BB
You've been flying it for 23 years, why change the routine?

With this kind of thinking we should all still be using paper charts and doing VOR approaches instead of that new technology call GPS and EFBs.

Tom

With this kind of thinking we should all still be using paper charts and doing VOR approaches instead of that new technology call GPS and EFBs.

Tom

Except using paper charts and shooting non moving map approaches helps build skills, using a old single point CHT just sucks and aside from costing less have zero benifits.

With this kind of thinking we should all still be using paper charts and doing VOR approaches instead of that new technology call GPS and EFBs.Tom
all that stuff still works. :)

...using a old single point CHT just sucks and aside from costing less have zero benifits.

I think you’re confused by the 2 Toms
The other Tom (-D) thinks he shouldn’t use an EM because he never had one.
I think he should and recommend a use one because of his price limitation.

Tom

I think you’re confused by the 2 Toms
The other Tom (-D) thinks he shouldn’t use an EM because he never had one.
I think he should and recommend a use one because of his price limitation.

Tom

Gotcha

Crazy a mechanic would not see the value in a full CHT/EGT/etc readout.

After having a engine failure, I would highly recommend a monitor, not only are they good for trending the engine and leaning it out just right and diagnosing problems, they also can buy you time between a problem and the engine calling it a day.

That was my thought..

I'm working up to my retirement date. Would like to get the little extra wants in before I go on a fixed income...:rolleyes:

Except using paper charts and shooting non moving map approaches helps build skills, using a old single point CHT just sucks and aside from costing less have zero benifits.

Well I do have a 4 cylinder set up, but that only leads you to wanting more information....:)

That was my thought..

I'm working up to my retirement date. Would like to get the little extra wants in before I go on a fixed income...:rolleyes:

Well I do have a 4 cylinder set up, but that only leads you to wanting more information....:)

If you already have a good CHT/EGT for each jug, that’s kinda the main point of a analyzer.

Personally shy of getting a CGR or something

cgr-oil-arc-newcrop-pattern-1024x1024.png

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/enginemonitors_ei/eicgr30p10-05345.php

to replace all your primaries and tie to GPS and all that Jazz, seems like you already have the important part.

Well that's my point, I've only got CHT for each cylinder....:(

CHTs the most important and what I target my lean and cowl flaps to, though EGT would be nice and make things easier.

Think I’d ether score a nice second hand JPI 700 or the like, or go all in and replace your primaries with a CGR or JPIs square version of the same thing.

On that note what’s up with all these square mini glass gauges? I mean the mass majority of the fleets panels accepts round, guess they didn’t have the same games I had as a kid ;)

special-needs-parenting-square-peg-round-hole.jpg

Like the good Dr. said, how long are you going to run the vehicle ?

If you are giving yourself a retirement present, you don't need the aircraft as an excuse :)

Like the good Dr. said, how long are you going to run the vehicle ?

If you are giving yourself a retirement present, you don't need the aircraft as an excuse :)

A king ranch style leather upholstery job, new paint, etc is all a treat, adding vitals for your ONE engine is a little mode of a safety and economy device.

Always felt much better flying single engine at night, IMC, or over inhospitable terrain with a good engine monitor.

Always felt much better flying single engine at night, IMC, or over inhospitable terrain with a good engine monitor.
I don't fly at night but I defiantly fly over inhospitable terrain. Made a nice flight Juneau to Sitka and back Thursday. The view was spectacular. Short flight about 1 hour, but a lot of fun. Wife had the shrimp basket and just a cheeseburger and fries for me...:D

CHTs the most important and what I target my lean and cowl flaps to, though EGT would be nice and make things easier.

Think I’d ether score a nice second hand JPI 700 or the like, or go all in and replace your primaries with a CGR or JPIs square version of the same thing.

On that note what’s up with all these square mini glass gauges? I mean the mass majority of the fleets panels accepts round, guess they didn’t have the same games I had as a kid
At least the JPI 900 still uses a round mount so there's no cutting needed unless you want it flush mounted. In my case I needed the rectangle the other way from the round part so I sent it back to JPI and they flipped the screen. Now, the 930 and the MVP-50, yea you're cutting stuff there.

I have a JPI 700 sitting in a box along with the probes. Pulled it for an mvp50.

Thanks
BB
I have a JPI 930 that I put in when replacing the engine. Without it I would have already burned up two cylinders from fuel contamination that partially plugged two injectors on subsequent flights. 50 hours on the engine. Insurance company is arguing about when the contamination occurred, with the monitor I can show them the exact minute the injectors plugged. First one was approximately one hour after filling the airplane. The tank I was using was completely empty prior to filling. Factory EGT and CHT gauges are still in the bird and they gave no indication there was an issue. Factory EGT has one sender for the whole system, CHT had a rotary selector and was not set on the cylinders that had injector issues. I am a believer!

Engine monitor? There's no evidence that you need one. Are you most interested in CHTs or EGTs? You can get 4 cylinder instruments for either or both. My experience with adding a monitor was that my operating techniques were validated. After that the monitor is just along for the ride.

Last edited:
Engine monitor? There's no evidence that you need one. Are you most interested in CHTs or EGTs? You can get 4 cylinder instruments for either or both. My experience with adding a monitor was that my operating techniques were validated. After that the monitor is just along for the ride.

You dont think that say, a stuck valve, would change the normal CHT EGT on said jug?

Even if you cant read it, an abnormal reading can give you time to get on the ground as soon as practical, once safe on the ground use resources like a call to a AP, or manuals etc, combined with the monitor and ground runs to narrow down the issue and investigate from there

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/18388-will-an-engine-monitor-alert-to-a-sticky-valve/

I would vote for a simple 4 cyl CHT/EGT gauge at the most for that engine, CHT being most important. I have nothing wrong with old school type leaning, but accurate CHT is nice to know.

I have the CGR-30P for my IO-390, it’s been fine.

As much as I love and rely on my JPI, if I were moving forward progressively with my funds, I would take care of ADS-B before an engine monitor. I fly mostly in the boonies, but once I flew with in/out, I knew I didn’t want to be without it. The in flight weather that is now provided via ADS-B is invaluable at times regardless of where you fly. Don’t leave home without it.

A 4 cyl CHT by Westach is about $350.00. On the high end a 4 cyl EGT-CHT by Aerospace Logic is about $1500.00. Start adding bells and whistles and fancy computer trending functions and you can blow past that in a hurry.

I’ve got a JPI 711 in my Cessna. I had 15 years in that plane prior to the 711. I’m indifferent about monitors in carbureted engines. The one time I’ve seen a significant temp problem I landed and fixed the probe wire. On the other hand, the instrument I had been indifferent about that’s helped me identify subtle engine problems has been my JPI FS450 fuel monitor. That’s a better instrument addition in my opinion.

Yes, a carb engine is not as critical, but there are plenty of the parameters that are just as important for carbed as it is for injected. Knowing oil pressure and exactly how much fuel is onboard come to mind.

A 4 cyl CHT by Westach is about $350.00
That is what I have. I just don't like the probe under the spark plug. I think there is a probe that can be screwed into the head for about $70ea.

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg1.htm

Nice, small, simple, cheap monitor. $1500

And a pretty nice one - But I would suggest upgrading at least to the G2, which is $2,093, to enable data logging. Being able to go back after an "event" and spend a few minutes on the ground to see what happened has saved a lot of $$$ on maintenance. And while it'll cost an extra grand, the G3 adds numerous extra parameters that will help in the analysis (and be visible in the cockpit), which is probably why it's so popular:

function%20chart.jpg

JPI does make good stuff too, but I wouldn't do a non-LCD monitor at this point as those plasma screens are getting harder to fix, and it seems like JPI's x30 (color LCD) monitors are pretty pricy.

Back