OregonAero Portable Seat Cushion reviews sought

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Has anyone tried this?
Looking at the Portable Seat Cushion Base (seat pad only)
Or some alternative that is not $200?
I find many seats a little too hard for the liking of my coccygeal vertebrae!

Last edited:
Those are excellent... I spent quite a bit of time sitting on aircraft seats with very little or even no padding at all, for hours at a time. IMO, definitely worth it.

A friend bought one at OSH to use in his Mooney (seat base only). It's quite firm, and seems to need body heat to conform, but he says it's the most comfortable cushion he's ever owned for long periods in the plane.

I have one. It is firm, but softens as you sit on it and is comfortable. It's really hard on those cold mornings until it softens and conforms, which takes around 5 minutes. I have it under a sheepskin seat cover. The combo is very comfortable.

Had one in my Mooney and loved it. Like others mentioned it is memory foam and is cold a stiff for a few minutes. I've even used the lumbar part on very long commercial flights.

I've got a portable unit. Good quality, no issues.

Ok, sounds like a good product thanks for the feedback.

One last question....outside of the fabric covering (ie, I am thinking mostly aesthetic), how would it be better than a like-sized piece of memory foam to justify the >$100 difference in price?
/cheap-azz pilot-ing

Ok, sounds like a good product thanks for the feedback.

One last question....outside of the fabric covering (ie, I am thinking mostly aesthetic), how would it be better than a like-sized piece of memory foam to justify the >$100 difference in price?
/cheap-azz pilot-ing

I think the seat bottom is a lamination (sandwich) of 2 or 3 different densities of memory foam.

I had two for my cub. Recently got new seat cushions, that fit. Want to get rid of one. Any interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Fixx

https://www.seatfoam.com/

has the many-layered foam. Buy the 18 in square, cut to fix your seat, cover with whatever you'd like. Altho I do have 2 Oregon Aero cushions, 1 in and 2 in I think, they're sitting on the shelf in the hangar. When I had my seats re-done I ordered a chunk from Jim, and had the upholsterer glue the foam into the material then install onto the seat frame. Yes, it's like sitting on a brick in the winter for the first 5 minutes or so. I use the Oregon Aero when I fly in the back of the G8 in CAP. I'm the only one comfortable.

Jim Fixx

https://www.seatfoam.com/

has the many-layered foam. Buy the 18 in square, cut to fix your seat, cover with whatever you'd like. Altho I do have 2 Oregon Aero cushions, 1 in and 2 in I think, they're sitting on the shelf in the hangar. When I had my seats re-done I ordered a chunk from Jim, and had the upholsterer glue the foam into the material then install onto the seat frame. Yes, it's like sitting on a brick in the winter for the first 5 minutes or so. I use the Oregon Aero when I fly in the back of the G8 in CAP. I'm the only one comfortable.

Jim will actually sell you a pre-made, covered cushion. It's nothing fancy, just a square, covered piece of foam (though 2 densities glued together). But it's also way less than Oregon Aero sells for and it's made using the same material (ConforFoam).

Back