accelerated CFII recommendation?

canigida

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
canigida
hey folks, sorry if this is a has been covered previously, but can anyone recommend based on their experience a school or freelancer that can crank out a double-I add-on in a few days (5 or so) of hard effort?I am looking for some place on the east coast preferably since I'm in Va., but willing to travel (Florida, etc.)

I'm pretty solid on the ground portion, I'd like to avoid a place where they sit me in the room reading the AIM and FARs for ten days since I think I'm strong in the regs. My instrument flying has never been awesome so I'm looking for a place to knock the rust off . I'd prefer a place that has actually churned out a CFII before (several local schools claim they offer a CFII but when you ask them, they haven't really recommended anyone as a CFII lately and you get an instructor with less experience than me).

So if there is a "mill" that you went to that gave a good service, has an instructor that has done this before and is pretty effective at it, has DPE they routinely work with so they know what to cover, and has a gouge to get me to the checkride in a week, that's what I'm looking for your recommendation on

thanks!

Depending on how current you are teaching and flying ifr, this is going to take you somewhere between 3-15hours. Self study as much as you can

Are you looking for a CFII add-on or is this your initial?

I went to Livingston Aviation in Waterloo, IA (KALO) for my initial CFI (Matt is there now @flyingcheesehead). It was a great experience and I think they have a 2 day add-on for CFII or a 10 day CFI/CFII program.

I’m on the road now, but can send more details next week, if you’d like.

I went to Livingston Aviation in Waterloo, IA (KALO) for my initial CFI (Matt is there now @flyingcheesehead). It was a great experience and I think they have a 2 day add-on for CFII or a 10 day CFI/CFII program.

I’m on the road now, but can send more details next week, if you’d like.

The problem with Livingston is that they're too popular. I just emailed them about the 10-day Commercial/CFI program, and the first availability is in September...

The problem with Livingston is that they're too popular. I just emailed them about the 10-day Commercial/CFI program, and the first availability is in September...

Yep, they’re definitely booked up. But maybe ask them if you can get on a waiting list in case someone cancels?

hey folks, sorry if this is a has been covered previously, but can anyone recommend based on their experience a school or freelancer that can crank out a double-I add-on in a few days (5 or so) of hard effort?I am looking for some place on the east coast preferably since I'm in Va., but willing to travel (Florida, etc.)

I'm pretty solid on the ground portion, I'd like to avoid a place where they sit me in the room reading the AIM and FARs for ten days since I think I'm strong in the regs. My instrument flying has never been awesome so I'm looking for a place to knock the rust off . I'd prefer a place that has actually churned out a CFII before (several local schools claim they offer a CFII but when you ask them, they haven't really recommended anyone as a CFII lately and you get an instructor with less experience than me).

So if there is a "mill" that you went to that gave a good service, has an instructor that has done this before and is pretty effective at it, has DPE they routinely work with so they know what to cover, and has a gouge to get me to the checkride in a week, that's what I'm looking for your recommendation on

thanks!

I'm in VA and just sent someone for a CFII checkride. It is one of the easier checkrides out there. Could you pass an IR checkride tomorrow? Can you do a reasonable job of flying instruments from the right seat? Can you explain IFR rules, procedures, and techniques? Then you can pass a CFII ride.

edit: I'm not saying it won't take preparation, but it doesn't take long.

Last edited:

Do you know what their initial success rate is?

I don’t know what it is anymore, but when I was there in November of 2017, I think it was 80+%. Also, the cost for training includes any retraining required if a checkride is failed (I’m told you’d have to pay the examiner fee again but, luckily, I didn’t need to test that.)

@mattg may have more recent pass rate information, as he just got his CFI with them earlier this week.

Pass rate is good but there is no free ride. You will need to know the material and be able to teach it in order to pass. I earned all my flight instructor certificates there.

Venture North Aviation in Cloquet, MN. I've done two checkrides there (Comm and CFI), headed back for a third next month. CFII is a 5 day program (4 days training, checkride on the 5th day). Very good program.

http://www.venturenorthaviation.com

Back