some interior shots (corrosion?)

3 in the green

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
c170b
Aircraft is a 170B that was stripped, repainted in 2013, treated with corrosion x and also some spray-in treatment since. Most of this is all sticky when I touched it. I can't tell if any of this is corrosion though, or how bad it is if it is. What do the PoA'ers think?

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1656.jpg
    IMG_1656.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 225
What Tom said. If they used the heavy duty Corrosion-X, it leaves a darker, sticky coating than the regular Corrosion-X, which is much thinner and lighter in color.

What Tom said. If they used the heavy duty Corrosion-X, it leaves a darker, sticky coating than the regular Corrosion-X, which is much thinner and lighter in color.
The guy who did this mess should have their head caved in for not cleaning first.

The guy who did this mess should have their head caved in for not cleaning first.
Serious question: how do you clean out the inside of the wing without removing the skins?

very slowly with lots of WD40 and rags, swabs, and any thing else you can get in there.

Its a hell of a job.
I've used a vacuum cleaner with various sizes of clear poly tubing as extensions to reach the crazy places. You need three or four hands, with lights and mirrors and the hose, and end up pulling the hose out frequently to remove junk that plugs the tip. It's no fun at all.

or you could simply strip and scrub it inside and out.

Attachments

• DSCN3558.JPG
    DSCN3558.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN3559.JPG
    DSCN3559.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN3560.JPG
    DSCN3560.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN3561.JPG
    DSCN3561.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 111
When i did the annual/pre-buy on my 182 it looked similar inside. It too had corrosion-x applied in the wings. I was relieved when I realized what it was. On a hot summer day it will still weep a little.

Interesting note, the fuselage was zinc chromated. It all green & clean. It appears to have come from the factory like that.

I do 170s a lot, most customers are 170 owners

Aircraft is a 170B that was stripped, repainted in 2013, treated with corrosion x and also some spray-in treatment since. Most of this is all sticky when I touched it. I can't tell if any of this is corrosion though, or how bad it is if it is. What do the PoA'ers think?

It looks pretty ratty to me. I am really particular with my airplanes though.

When i did the annual/pre-buy on my 182 it looked similar inside. It too had corrosion-x applied in the wings. I was relieved when I realized what it was. On a hot summer day it will still weep a little.

Interesting note, the fuselage was zinc chromated. It all green & clean. It appears to have come from the factory like that.
@ Cessna that was a $45 option. If the wings are not, they have been changed.

All those corrosion sprays attract dirt, dust, spiderwebs, insects, and anything else that can find it's way in. They’re advertised as thin film products but most applicators spooge it on thick and the stuff weeps for months. I’ll never do it again.

To clean You could use hot water and a garden hose and let the water wash out what it releases. I need to do the same to the belly of my 180 where hydraulic fluid and grit have left a crusty gooey mess.

All those corrosion sprays attract dirt, dust, spiderwebs, insects, and anything else that can find it's way in. They’re advertised as thin film products but most applicators spooge it on thick and the stuff weeps for months. I’ll never do it again.

To clean You could use hot water and a garden hose and let the water wash out what it releases. I need to do the same to the belly of my 180 where hydraulic fluid and grit have left a crusty gooey mess.

Sprayed water, especially with soap, gets into control cables and pulley bearings. Not good at all. I've cleaned out bellies, but I use varsol, various brushes and an air-powered vacuum liquid extractor. It takes time, and you scrape a lot wherever you can reach. And your arms get scraped up, too.

I would get rid the insulation above the headliner and anywhere else if it still there, looks like some still is, and that area might not have been treated with C-X, I also think that a lot of areas might have been missed, but it does look fairly good inside the wings.

:yeahthat:
Above the headliner, below the carpet, anywhere moisture can get trapped.

:yeahthat:
Above the headliner, below the carpet, anywhere moisture can get trapped.

Unless you are going to do the whole job and clean it to bare metal you might better leave it alone.

they usually look like this.
That is Contact cement, and is removed by Epoxy Stripper. (hell of a mess). or acetone (bigger mess)
this is a case of ,, good enough (is) good enough

Attachments

• DSCN3550.JPG
    DSCN3550.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3551.JPG
    DSCN3551.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 65
I took the wings off our C-172 and after carefully removing the controls & cables (and electrical bits) I washed them internally with hot water and mild soap. It did a fairly good job of removing a lot of the dirt and grease, then follow up with many rags dampened with mineral spirits. However, it's a huge job and better left for a time when you'll be doing a complete repaint of the wings. If you get bored, there are some pics on my "This Old Airplane" facebook page...

Our other option was to have the wings completely reskinned, which was also on my options list. Probably costs about $10k...

Our other option was to have the wings completely reskinned, which was also on my options list. Probably costs about $10k...
You could call Airframe Components and find out, but take a seat first.

Unless you are going to do the whole job and clean it to bare metal you might better leave it alone.

they usually look like this.
That is Contact cement, and is removed by Epoxy Stripper. (hell of a mess). or acetone (bigger mess)
this is a case of ,, good enough (is) good enough

AFAIK, MEK and/or Lacquer thinner on a scotchbrite pad work as well... But bring your fresh air respirator and good PPE to keep you from killing yourself with the fumes.

AFAIK, MEK and/or Lacquer thinner on a scotchbrite pad work as well... But bring your fresh air respirator and good PPE to keep you from killing yourself with the fumes.
Do it outside, with the mask, and far from any ignition sources. Take the battery out of the airplane. And keep the stuff away from any vinyl or plexiglass or other plastics.

Now it is well north of 15k to reskin a 170/172 wing. that's each.

Back