Do you know a good ATPL school?

carlapilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
carlapilot
Hi everyone! I've just finished my PPL and I'm looking for a good ATPL school anywhere...mostly in Europe but I would travel and learn actually anywhere in the world, to have experience in an other country. But it's a really hard choice!
I want to avoid low quality cheating schools (who just take your money, without proper training). Please give me some suggestions, how to compare the schools! If you have any personal experience, please let know!
Thank you!

Sounds like you’re looking for a program to build hours, get your Commercial, Instrument, and ATP?

Hi everyone! I've just finished my PPL and I'm looking for a good ATPL school anywhere...mostly in Europe but I would travel and learn actually anywhere in the world, to have experience in an other country. But it's a really hard choice!
I want to avoid low quality cheating schools (who just take your money, without proper training). Please give me some suggestions, how to compare the schools! If you have any personal experience, please let know!
Thank you!
I'm not sure about Europe, but in America I would recommend ATP flight school hands down. One of the cheapest ways to get all your ratings. Since you already have your PPL, all they'll ask for is $71,295 for all FAA fee and pilot supplies included, and you never have to worry about paying another penny for flight training again. I'm going to ATP FC too, I'm currently getting my PPL at a part 91 school. The course is 6 months.
You may want to include housing, that's about $5,000.

As in a school to get your ATP? And your currently only a PPL?

I’d say build some hours, get your IFR and CPL, get a flying job or two, get the experience than get your ATP.

I'm not sure about Europe, but in America I would recommend ATP flight school hands down. One of the cheapest ways to get all your ratings. Since you already have your PPL, all they'll ask for is $71,295 for all FAA fee and pilot supplies included, and you never have to worry about paying another penny for flight training again. I'm going to ATP FC too, I'm currently getting my PPL at a part 91 school. The course is 6 months.
Not sure if you were joking but atp is very expensive.

Agreed. If you are doing ATP right now, the cheapest you can do it is probably about $8500 or so, all in. CTP is about $4-5000 depending on location/company, written normally included in that cost. Training for practical is normally another $4-6000, depending on what/where you do it, and how many flights the training portion takes. The cheaper options will take you up in a light twin for 2-3 flights and then send you to the DPE. If you go with one of the various level D sim lease places, it starts about that little (FTI in Denver as an example), and goes up quite a bit if a type rating is involved. I think on average, folks are spending $10-15k from start to finish. Prior to Colgan, it was closer to $2-3000 according to most folks I know who did it then. So basically an enormous premium now, for basically no return in safety IMHO.

Agreed. If you are doing ATP right now, the cheapest you can do it is probably about $8500 or so, all in. CTP is about $4-5000 depending on location/company, written normally included in that cost. Training for practical is normally another $4-6000, depending on what/where you do it, and how many flights the training portion takes. The cheaper options will take you up in a light twin for 2-3 flights and then send you to the DPE. If you go with one of the various level D sim lease places, it starts about that little (FTI in Denver as an example), and goes up quite a bit if a type rating is involved. I think on average, folks are spending $10-15k from start to finish. Prior to Colgan, it was closer to $2-3000 according to most folks I know who did it then. So basically an enormous premium now, for basically no return in safety IMHO.
Ahh I though he was talking about doing accelerated up to the multi crew license and looking to doing the commercial multi then going right seat at 250hrs. The comment i was replying to recommended atp flight school which is stupid expensive for commercial training. Though looking at both comments now i'm confused lol.

No I'm serious, if you already have a PPL with at least 80 total time. To get all the required ratings and endorsements, and also your CFI/MEI, it's 71,295. With most aviation colleges like Embry Riddle, you can expect to pay $100,000+. That's why I think ATP is the cheapest full time flight school in the US.

No I'm serious, if you already have a PPL with at least 80 total time. To get all the required ratings and endorsements, and also your CFI/MEI, it's 71,295. With most aviation colleges like Embry Riddle, you can expect to pay $100,000+. That's why I think ATP is the cheapest full time flight school in the US.
If you had a ppl with 80 hours you can those ratings for 15000 maybe20k at literally any flight school. For zero to 250 and my cfi and comm multi i spent maybe 25grand. I did it part 61 and small local schools.

If you had a ppl with 80 hours you can those ratings for 15000 maybe20k at literally any flight school. For zero to 250 and my cfi and comm multi i spent maybe 25grand. I did it part 61 and small local schools.

The catch is the full time flight school.

The catch is the full time flight school.
Well I guess. I did the full time accelerated training at a small local flight school. I just put myself on the schedule every day. It was cheaper than any 141 around at the time.

I went from 170hr private pilot to working CFI in less than 3 months.

Edit: after looking I was ~190 hour TT when I started the fast track. Not 170.

Last edited:
Does that $71K get you to ATP (the ticket, not the school)?

Well I guess. I did the full time accelerated training at a small local flight school. I just put myself on the schedule every day. It was cheaper than any 141 around at the time.

I went from 170hr private pilot to working CFI in less than 3 months.

Edit: after looking I was ~190 hour TT when I started the fast track. Not 170.

Yup.

ATP Inc is high end steakhouse prices for a McDonalds meal.

Lots ways to build lots better time for lots less money.

Back