BQ1 Pirep

Possum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
Flew into BQ1 yesterday around noon for a nice pulled pork plate. Great food and great atmosphere. No AWOS there so we did a mid-field crossing and looked at the sock. There were planes coming and going while we were there and on average around 10 planes at the restaurant that had flown in for lunch. The airport is a little difficult to see and landing requires some skill with the 35 foot wide by 2600 length runway. I did make a go around on my first approach but landing was uneventful. When we were ready to leave we had two visitors from Ft. Bragg. I am surprised that we didn't have a few planes blown over from the wind from the Chinooks. The Chinooks flew a downwind for runway 31 and landed on the grass next to the runway. My understanding was that there were around 20 soldiers per Chinook. No doubt they enjoyed the food as well. Pik N Pig is highly recommended. http://www.pik-n-pig.com/IMG_3979.PNG Quite an experience. IMG_3981.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3979.PNG
    IMG_3979.PNG
    675.9 KB · Views: 10
When we were ready to leave we had two visitors from Ft. Bragg. I am surprised that we didn't have a few planes blown over from the wind from the Chinooks. The Chinooks flew a downwind for runway 31 and landed on the grass next to the runway. My understanding was that there were around 20 soldiers per Chinook.

Those guys were everywhere yesterday... couple were messing around near KRUQ along with some Guard Apaches. Practicing "High Hover" (I think they called it on the CTAF)

lol yup. added you to the southeast PoA list. if you're unfamiliar, it's a list of folks who have numerous and lengthy discussions about flying places.
Some day we may actually fly some place again :D

Those guys were everywhere yesterday... couple were messing around near KRUQ along with some Guard Apaches. Practicing "High Hover" (I think they called it on the CTAF)

That is how the tactical approach terminates, at a 50 foot hover. The entire enroute and approach is flown hands-off, fully coupled. From there, the digital AFCS can descend to a landing just using your left thumb. No visibility required (in a tactical environment, that is... :p)

Periodically the Osprey's come over (they tend to leave LeJeune in a bunch and all head out to different small airports to practice). They'll usually put it through a variety of approach modes (conventional and vertical).

Bragg is over ran with Marines this week...shooting artillery.

For some reason every time I fly down that way it's a Monday. The restaurant is closed on mondays, sigh.

Back