FAA ADS-B rebate - NA for multi?

kep5niner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
Upgrading my transponder to comply with the 2020 mandate. According to the FAA’s website, the $500 rebate is only for single-engine aircraft. Is that true, or is that just a minor oversight in the verbiage (wishful thinking, I know....)?

Yup...totally forgot about it until I went to pick the Seneca up this past year. At least I got to take advantage of it on the Lance. Oh well.

Yup...totally forgot about it until I went to pick the Seneca up this past year. At least I got to take advantage of it on the Lance. Oh well.

It's also one rebate per owner, so if you got it on the Lance, picked up another single instead of the Seneca and upgraded it, you still couldn't get the rebate.

FWIW, I fail to see the reasoning why twins were excluded.
It's an incentive program to tip the scales for classes of aircraft that might not otherwise consider an upgrade. I suspect the argument is that the majority of twin aircraft have a very strong need to equip in order to utilize their aircraft. Yes that's true of singles too, but I suspect even moreso for the twin aircraft, which are more likely to fly longer distances and under IFR.

(And yes, I realize that there are twins that are used exclusively for training and never go more than 30nm from their base...)

Just run it OEI during the ADS-B test. :D

It's also one rebate per owner, so if you got it on the Lance, picked up another single instead of the Seneca and upgraded it, you still couldn't get the rebate.

Well damn, didn't even know that! Oh well. I didn't have heartburn over the whole thing since I wanted what I wanted anyhow. Had just forgotten about it. Seems like I knew way more about it when I looked into it the first time around.

Back