Hand Nibblers

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow
I've been manufacturing some switch panels for a project out of thin aluminum. Square and rectangular holes got to be a PITA, so I borrowed a hand nibbler. The one I borrowed is an 'original' Adel (a familiar name...think clamps) hand nibbler that my mech has had forever.

This unit is only available on the Adel website for about $50. ATS and Spruce have hand nibblers for around $20. The Adel is awesome....does what it's asked clean and neat.

Does anyone have experience with the ATS/Spruce units? Recommendations for/against? I hate to do the buy cheap/buy twice thing, but hesitate to spend $50 on something that will be used seldom if ever. Thanks!

Jim

I have an ATS hand nibbler - it works well enough to open up a hole I can fit a grinder into and to trim out rectangular corners before filing, but it's tough on the grip for anything larger. I've had it for years. ~0.032" max thickness, anything thicker I use a hole saw and grinder/files.

Nauga,
handy

Go to Harbor Freight and pick up their pneumatic nibbler for < $30. I bought one last weekend and looked up their coupons on my phone while in line to check out and got 20% off.

If you are cutting a number of stock size holes, might be worth looking for a chassis punch for that hole....

Got mine at ACE hardware.

on something that will be used seldom if ever.
This is the key part. I have an air nibbler. I've also seen some that mount on a drill but never used one. Once you define "seldom" the $20 vs $50 question will answer itself.

This is the key part. I have an air nibbler. I've also seen some that mount on a drill but never used one. Once you define "seldom" the $20 vs $50 question will answer itself.
Unless, of course, the $20 unit is a fiddly PITA, and the $50 unit gets the job done quickly. My sanity has a value ...

I have a cheesy airnibbler (OK, it was Harbor Freight, but i did get it for less than $20). It works well enough if the stock is thin. The only problem is it's a royal pain if you push it and it jams.

Not interested in air....working this project down the basement. Just needed to cut a half dozen rocker switch holes, etc for the sim panel, and thought I should have my own nibbler....just cause that's how guys are.. :) My concern was spending $20 on a nibbler that didn't work. Sounds like they're working OK for other folks, so will probably do that. Thanks to all!

Jim

Eleventh Commandment: Do Not Buy Cheap Tools

Re "seldom," my experience is that projects and solutions to problems tend to be somewhat limited based on the tools and capabilities that I have. So I never worry about buying for a one-time use; the tool always gets used again and again.

I have some depaneling cutters I sell.

Took longer than I thought for the 'fun with title' to start!!!! LOL!!!! :)

Eleventh Commandment: Do Not Buy Cheap Tools

Re "seldom," my experience is that projects and solutions to problems tend to be somewhat limited based on the tools and capabilities that I have. So I never worry about buying for a one-time use; the tool always gets used again and again.

I'd say it's a tradeoff. Everybody would love to have the best tools that money can buy - but that makes little sense (IMHO) for things that are seldom used. I have an assortment of
inexpensive corded power tools - that work well enough for my applications. I also think that the quality of said inexpensive tools has improved over the years. So I am willing to
buy such things when the need arises (always considering what else is available, any superior capabilities of the high price stuff, and how often I might use it). BTW I have an Adel
Nibbler - and bought it so long ago that there was no competition. It's the kind of a thing that you only need once in a blue moon - but when you need it - you need it!

Dave

View attachment 72299
Anyone else read the thread title and think this first?

We had a guinea pig who tended to nibble your hand, but I didn't think that grown men who like airplanes were going to start a conversation about guinea pigs.

We still have a 15 year old clownfish who bites the %$#* out of your hand if you put it in one part of the tank, Either that, or he/she/it head butts your finger. I wouldn't call it a nibble, though, more of an attack.

Last edited:
I thought maybe This was going to be about OP’s girlfriend...

Girl friend?....boy would THAT peeve my beautiful CFII jet-jockey wife!!! LOL!!!! ...and her description explains why I don't have a girl friend... LOL some more!

Jim

PS- ... and don't tell her I told ya, but she's a hell of a cook, too....LOL out the door!

Back