Any Canadians Here...

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
... or anyone who might have the answer to the following:

I am from Canada, currently living in Texas. I started flight training towards my PPL and logged about 20 hours of dual and a couple hours of solo... Then, life happened (loved one became sick) and I will have to go to Canada, probably staying for at least six months. This also means, I can't complete my PPL here in Texas. Here are my questions:

1. Can I transfer U.S. dual received hours towards a Transport Canada (TC) license?

2. If this is possible for a TC Recreational Pilot Permit, I'm actually close to the required hour minimums and I could probably wrap up training within 5-10 hours. If I do and then fly with that permit as PIC, will those hours count towards my solo requirements for the FAA PPL once I get back to the States and finish the FAA license?

If this is not possible, I guess all I can do is get a few throw away lessons while in Canada to maintain skill level and then pick back up once I'm south of the border.

I don't know anything about the Canadian regs, but for "solo" time, as long as you are the sole living human occupant of the airplane, it's solo. And I think as long as it's a single-engine land airplane, it doesn't matter if the number on the side starts with C or N.

In fact, I think that if you can find an instructor up there who has a current US CFI certificate, you could take care of dual requirements as well.

Finally, if you were to finish your Private up there, you don't need to re-do it here... I don't remember exactly how many hoops you have to jump through, but you don't have to completely re-do everything.

How close to the border will you be? If you're in Southwestern ON, you can go to the Buffalo/Detroit areas for training.

For a U.S. license, refer to the requirements in 61.109. Any reference to "training from an authorized flight instructor " refers to an instructor with an appropriate U.S. flight instructor certificate. Any reference to flight time can be in any registered aircraft of that category and class, regardless of the location of the flight or the nationality of registration.

Flight training giving by a Canadian instructor outside of the United States can also be credited towards a U.S. license. The Canadian instructor can not endorse you for the U.S. checkride.

61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:
(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.

(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.

This is interesting. I'll check if Canadian regulations mention something similar.

This is interesting. I'll check if Canadian regulations mention something similar.
CAR Standard 421.26 (9):

(9) Credits for Foreign Applicants

(amended 1999/03/01)

(a) An applicant who holds a Private or higher pilot licence - Aeroplane issued by a contracting state and who does not wish to obtain a licence issued on the basis of the foreign licence, may be considered by the Minister to have met the ground school instruction requirement.

(b) An applicant who holds a Private or higher pilot licence - Aeroplane issued by a contracting state other than Canada and who meets the flight time requirements specified in subsection (4) is considered to have met the experience requirements.
(amended 2000/09/01)
(c) An applicant who does not hold a Private or higher pilot licence - Aeroplane issued by a contracting state may be credited foreign dual and solo aeroplane flight training time and aeroplane ground school time towards the knowledge and experience requirements for the issue of a Private Pilot Licence - Aeroplane, if the applicant provides certification from the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane that all ground and flight training exercises have been satisfactorily reviewed.

Ref. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...-standards-421-1086.htm?WT.mc_id=vl7fd#421_26

Contact Transport Canada: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-personnel-gen-1803.htm

... or anyone who might have the answer to the following:

I am from Canada, currently living in Texas. I started flight training towards my PPL and logged about 20 hours of dual and a couple hours of solo... Then, life happened (loved one became sick) and I will have to go to Canada, probably staying for at least six months. This also means, I can't complete my PPL here in Texas. Here are my questions:

1. Can I transfer U.S. dual received hours towards a Transport Canada (TC) license?

2. If this is possible for a TC Recreational Pilot Permit, I'm actually close to the required hour minimums and I could probably wrap up training within 5-10 hours. If I do and then fly with that permit as PIC, will those hours count towards my solo requirements for the FAA PPL once I get back to the States and finish the FAA license?

If this is not possible, I guess all I can do is get a few throw away lessons while in Canada to maintain skill level and then pick back up once I'm south of the border.

I’d also ask on here, like the POA or Canada.

http://avcanada.ca/

Thank you all. I did reach out to Transport Canada but thus far, no response. They're slow to reply (if they ever do). I also wrote to COPA (the Canadian version of AOPA). They said it's not possible to transfer those hours but apparently they're wrong about that based on the above post.

Solo flight time counts no matter where you fly. It does not have to be in a N-registered airplane. Dual is the only issue, but I really doubt it matters. Most people need well beyond the minimum hours anyway so it may end up being a moot point. Are you really shooting to take the checkride in the minimum 40 hours?

Probably not at the minimum 40 hours (although, if I wasn't grounded in between, I probably could have pulled it off at 40 or close to it). I expect to need around 50 to be ready now.

Back