New preheating strategy

I wish I was half the man that guy is

BTDT,, diesel farm tractors and NY winters, farm kids will try anything,, but it worked.

I have used a rose bud torch to warm up a diesel engine to get it started.

And then the old time bush pilots used to build a fire under the plane's engine and use the engine cover to keep the heat up into the engine to warm it up. A pilot would be considered good if he could use the fire to warm the engine and NOT destroy the engine cover with the fire.

I"m guessing he thinks his insurance carrier is dumber than they really are,
or that isn't his truck.

Moving to Juarez is easier, and possibly safer. (probably not)

Nothing like having to put out a grease fire which burned up rubber hoses and electrical wires because you didn't find a better method of pre-heating.

That is about as dumb a guy in a video as I have ever seen.

That Man should really live in Florida....for any number of reasons.

I have heard ragtime stories of old time truckers doing something similar. I ran 48 states many years ago, but had an ether start, a block heater and a "Hot Box" that fired up a gas heater and circulated hot coolant. Those old diesels could be a bear to start back then in the icy cold. Cat engines had "Glow Plugs" - I heard those were the best.

Those old diesels could be a bear to start back then in the icy cold. Cat engines had "Glow Plugs" - I heard those were the best.

It was really fun to watch someone spray ether into the air cleaner on a diesel with glow plugs....

It was really fun to watch someone spray ether into the air cleaner on a diesel with glow plugs....

Ugh. You're reminding me of a time where my engine was just too damn cold, and wouldn't run on anything but ether. The intakes were at the bottom of the windshield, under the back of the hood. I had to spray some ether (well, ok, "starting fluid"), then crank it, and after it caught, give it another puff every couple of seconds to keep it from dying. Went through nearly two whole cans before it kept running on its own.

Ugh. You're reminding me of a time where my engine was just too damn cold, and wouldn't run on anything but ether. The intakes were at the bottom of the windshield, under the back of the hood. I had to spray some ether (well, ok, "starting fluid"), then crank it, and after it caught, give it another puff every couple of seconds to keep it from dying. Went through nearly two whole cans before it kept running on its own.

BTDT....:lol::lol::lol:

Using fire works. Using charcoal and putting it on a tray under the engine is better though. When you have diesels in extreme cold weather with no source of electricity nearby you learn to improvise.

Using fire works. Using charcoal and putting it on a tray under the engine is better though. When you have diesels in extreme cold weather with no source of electricity nearby you learn to improvise.

Kind of what I was thinking. You want something to produce even steady heat, not intense flames.

Using a fire to heat the sump of diesel tank engines was commonly practiced by the German and Soviet armies during World War II winters. Fire was also used to preheat gasoline powered vehicles.

In those years, multigrade oils didn't exist. When it was -40C, oils and grease became a semisolid, and using fires to preheat engines was the only option. This was a tactical disadvantage, because smoke from the fires gave away the position of armor formations to the enemy.

Back