Commercial Check Ride

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Did you get your cross country assignment as homework prior to your test? Or did you get the destination during the oral?

Normally prior, as normally you’d be planning that stuff prior in real life.

I got mine prior to the checkride.

I'm having to fly 170 miles (one way) as the local CFI's like this DPE. He did give me his weight for W&B ( I have it plugged on for the check ride) but no mention of a x-ctry FP. Maybe since I'm coming 170 miles he plans to question that plan? Maybe I should seek clarification.

I'm having to fly 170 miles (one way) as the local CFI's like this DPE. He did give me his weight for W&B ( I have it plugged on for the check ride) but no mention of a x-ctry FP. Maybe since I'm coming 170 miles he plans to question that plan? Maybe I should seek clarification.

Give him a call and ask him where you’re going

If it was the real world and you were flying him somewhere, would you want to plan it before meeting at the airport?

Give him a call and ask him where you’re going

If it was the real world and you were flying him somewhere, would you want to plan it before meeting at the airport?
I want to do the way 'He wants'. Personally, I would do it prior

Do you get to use ipad or do they want to see paper flight log?
Good question. I did reach out and have my destination. Sitting here wondering the same thing. I can use FF and print that plan out, I also have an old fashioned paper log

Those ASA paper logs take me forever to complete. I made one for my ppl checkride then it got IFRed out. I guess it was good practice.

Back when I did my commercial, the PTS required planning a cross country near max range of the airplane in an hour. Other than international flights, that's generally more time than it's taken in real life. Get off my lawn! ;)

Seriously, from what I've been told, giving the applicant any part of the oral (including flight planning) prior to qualifying the applicant (verifying logbooks and 8710) is a no-no...but apparently it's of enough economic benefit to the examiner that the Feds look the other way on it.

Edit: 569 miles, paper logs, sectional charts, north to south. Get off my lawn again! :p

Last edited:
Prior and I used IPad. The entire oral was based on the trip

I want to do the way 'He wants'. Personally, I would do it prior

If I was a DPE and I didn’t give information a pilot would need, like destination or weight, even if I wanted the pilot to do it on the sport, it would still be a good look for the pilot to call and ask, as that is what I’d expect him to do in a professional capacity

If I was a DPE and I didn’t give information a pilot would need, like destination or weight, even if I wanted the pilot to do it on the sport, it would still be a good look for the pilot to call and ask, as that is what I’d expect him to do in a professional capacity
I agree. I received my destination and started thinking about diversions in the area.

I cannot remember... actually I don’t recal doing any cross country planning for my CP.
I do remember iPads did not exist at the time.

Got mine prior to the checkride back when I used a manual E6B wheel. He picked one leg at random and verified it with his E6B. There was also a scenario with that cross country picking up and dropping off passengers and cargo at certain stops with some empty legs. I walked him through the trip and also explained what could be done under part 91 vs part 135 which preempted his questions about that subject.

Very recently. Planed and discussed everything on iPad, printed nav-log from Foreflight. The printed part only came handy in the plane. Reprinted it as we were about to go flying to correct for winds. Was near perfect on my pilotage. My DPE did not care how you did it, just that you did it and could explain how you did it.

The planned flight was about 180nm, the go/no go weather decision was based on if we could fly 100 miles. We actually flew about 40 miles on the route before diverting.

Back