Apparently Fiji started the GPS revolution

That article is full of crap. Celestial nav and dead reckoning are NOT the same thing.

It doesn't say they are the same thing. There's a little word in the article used that's called a conjunction.

Your post is full of crap. Maybe you should just go back to bragging and showing off about how awesome your place is in North Carolina.

All because of “and” :)

It doesn't say they are the same thing. There's a little word in the article used that's called a conjunction.

Your post is full of crap. Maybe you should just go back to bragging and showing off about how awesome your place is in North Carolina.
Wow. Seems as much of an over reaction as his post.

Their water comes in fancy plastic bottles with which they have been trying to make additional islands in the middle of the ocean. Progress so far...

Now *THAT* is a message in a bottle!

Attachments

• C340F24B-DA42-49C2-85D3-52273394B5F0.jpeg
    C340F24B-DA42-49C2-85D3-52273394B5F0.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 37
Their water comes in fancy plastic bottles with which they have been trying to make additional islands in the middle of the ocean.

Well, Fiji water really is that good. I sampled a lot of different brands based on what was available wherever I stopped when I was a professional driver... Most of them were "Meh" but Fiji is somehow more refreshing. My wife told me I was full of crap until she tried it... Of course, I'm still full of crap about all other subjects, but on this one she admits I was right. ;)

That article is full of crap. Celestial nav and dead reckoning are NOT the same thing.

You missed the "and" - The article never said they were the same thing - but you skipped over complaining about this?

"Since the 1940s, pilots had followed routes determined by land-based ‘beacons’, either in the form of radio signals or visual markers. It was an imperfect system. In Fiji, for example, only five control towers were equipped with a radio beacon, meaning that in 80% of the country’s huge airspace, pilots had no radar to rely on."

Aaargh!

Spent 11 days in Fiji last December, very friendly, hospitable people. The country of 300 islands.

Weather is no longer the hindrance it once was. “Before, the tendency was to return [to the originating airport] when you hit bad weather,” Tabakaucoro said. “GPS ensured you’d get to the destination.” Even in a storm. Even with terrible visibility.
Before GPS, aircraft were required to fly with enough fuel for a return trip in the event of being unable to land at their destination. After GPS made such a precaution unnecessary, they were able to lose that extra load. ......that the increased fuel efficiency meant that the GPS receivers in Fiji paid for themselves in just three months.

Weather in Fiji is routinely very good, no need to shoot approaches great majority of the time, so I find the above quite interesting.

By the way, on the way from the airport we saw a fenced empty lot with a big sign - a site of future aviation academy.

Last edited:
Back