Banner Tower Crash Fort Lauderdale

Just when I think news reports can't get any worse...

Article makes it sound like there was no banner

Article makes it sound like there was no banner
There was. In the video it shows the banner. The witness said the banner snagged something and pulled the plane down.

There was. In the video it shows the banner. The witness said the banner snagged something and pulled the plane down.

Hmmm... They also said the hook was open and the banner no longer attached.

Also, the banner caught something on the ground? That plane would have needed to be really low and slow already for that to happen. There's a chance that the engine wasn't producing full power and the guy dropped the banner as he was already going down... Or it could be pilot error, since it sounds like he was pretty new to the job. It's certainly odd that he would turn inland toward a very congested area.

Also, it's interesting that the owner has two separate banner tow companies, and has lost their operating authority more than once before, including the other company right now. Makes ya wonder what the FAA is finding, aside from the obvious (previous crashes).

Something tells me this one isn't gonna look good for GA. :(

Usually the tow release handles are installed on the floor below the pilots left knee. You have to bend forward and reach down with your left hand to pull the handle. If the guy was new, its possible he tried to quickly pull the release when the banner got into the ground and inadvertently banked left into the building as he bent down and reached for the handle.

At the company I used to work for, we went through and installed safety links on all the hook ropes. They were essentially a paperclip type thing made out of 3/16" metal. If the banner ever snagged or hit anything, the clip would bend open and the rope would slide off almost immediately. Way faster than reaching down and pulled the release handle. We used the clips on all our hook ropes but lots of other companies were too cheap to bother with them.

I watched a banner snag a para sail once. Dragged the boat backwards while the plane struggled to stay airborne. Somehow they broke free, the banner never released. It happens quickly.

I watched a banner snag a para sail once. Dragged the boat backwards while the plane struggled to stay airborne. Somehow they broke free, the banner never released. It happens quickly.

Yikes!!

Back