Got one tiny piece of metal out of my oil filter...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I routinely change my own oil/filter on my O-320 (750 SMOH). Yesterday I changed my oil, and cut open my old filter then ran a magnet over the pleats...I'm sure the magnet was clean before I started, but when I was done, I had one, and only one, tiny round metal flake on the magnet.
I was going to save the metal flake and take a photo, but somehow I dropped it. It was about the diameter of a pin head, and very thin. It was definitely attracted to the magnet (so either iron/steel/or nickel), but it seemed to be gold colored. I use a standard filter cutter, and I don't think the flake came from the filter body itself.
So, am I right to assume that this would just be a loose, random piece, and not necessarily wear or something for concern? I've probably done about 10 oil changes on this particular engine, and this was the first time I've ever picked up something with the magnet from the filter.

I had the same situation, asked my mechanic about it, he said carry on, if it happens next time, we'll start thinking about what to do. I started sending out oil for analysis as well. Five years down the road, no issues. YMMV.

Do you send a grab sample of the oil you drained to one of the known and respected labs?

The one visible iron based particle you found this time might not be telling the full story of what is going on inside the engine. Plus the labs provide details on any trends over time occurring at each sample.

Do you send a grab sample of the oil you drained to one of the known and respected labs?

The one visible iron based particle you found this time might not be telling the full story of what is going on inside the engine. Plus the labs provide details on any trends over time occurring at each sample.
No, I've never done oil analysis.

Any larger chunks will be in the oil screen in the sump. Did you also pull it for inspection?

Any larger chunks will be in the oil screen in the sump. Did you also pull it for inspection?
Nope. Not gonna either. Talked to my mechanic today and he said the same thing Catmandu's mechanic did.

Nope. Not gonna either. Talked to my mechanic today and he said the same thing Catmandu's mechanic did.

So you are not complying with lycoming SB480 that states the suction screen will be cleaned at each oil change interval?

Why do people not follow the manufactures instructions on something as simple as an oil change?

I “believe” lycoming says something about more than 1/4 teaspoonful or metal.

Last edited:
So you are not complying with lycoming SB480 that states the suction screen will be cleaned at each oil change interval?

Why do people not follow the manufactures instructions on something as simple as an oil change?
So you are going to re-word and repeat questions that I’ve already answered? NO IM NOT CLEANING THE SCREEN!
My mechanic checks it at annual. I don’t keep the washer on hand.

So you are going to re-word and repeat questions that I’ve already answered? NO IM NOT CLEANING THE SCREEN!

You can re-use the gasket. It isn't a problem. The real beeyotch is safetying the thing after you've re-assembled it.

My mechanic checks it at annual. I don’t keep the washer on hand.[/QUOTE

Since you apparently do not understand the oil system on a lycoming, let me give you a quick run down, the suction screen is the first step in the filter process. It stops large bits from getting into the pump and the filter. If I found anything in a filter you can bet you rear end im pulling the suction screen and seeing if there was anything it cought before it got to the filter. Five minutes and a dollar gasket, and a bit of safety wire would not stop me from making sure there is nothing bigger floating around its engine. That screen is there for a reason and lycoming says to check it at each oil change for a reason.

Those screens get checked by me every oil change, per the Lycoming SB.

If I found stuff in the filter I'd suggest checking the screen. It's one of the lowest cost maintenance items you can do on your plane. ;)

And if I didn't find anything in the screen and only one fleck of metal in the filter, I'd just keep flying it and continue to keep an eye on it at the subsequent oil changes.

Finding something in your oil filter that concerns you enough to go post on the internet about it, while at the same time refusing to then look in your oil screen, is a really great way to think if you’re looking for your own NTSB report.

You found something in your filter that concerned you. Look in your damn screen before you write the incident off. No mechanic worth his weight in salt would suggest otherwise.

I routinely change my own oil/filter on my O-320 (750 SMOH). Yesterday I changed my oil, and cut open my old filter then ran a magnet over the pleats...I'm sure the magnet was clean before I started, but when I was done, I had one, and only one, tiny round metal flake on the magnet.
I was going to save the metal flake and take a photo, but somehow I dropped it. It was about the diameter of a pin head, and very thin. It was definitely attracted to the magnet (so either iron/steel/or nickel), but it seemed to be gold colored. I use a standard filter cutter, and I don't think the flake came from the filter body itself.
So, am I right to assume that this would just be a loose, random piece, and not necessarily wear or something for concern? I've probably done about 10 oil changes on this particular engine, and this was the first time I've ever picked up something with the magnet from the filter.
Look up the British term. "Swarf" I think you got some.

What is the saying? "You can lead a horse to water ….". I have heard engine overhauls are also on the list.

Buy a supply of extra washers for the screens, and check them. Cheap insurance ;-) Like with many things, consistency in your technique is what will help you spot a trend. A single simple flake means nothing. However, a shiny tooth in the suction screen would mean a lot ;-) Odds are that you are just fine.

Back