Failing Bi-Annual review

RonP

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RvP
A bunch of us pilots were discussing bi-annual flight reviews and our experience over the few that we have had. We all felt they are always great refreshers, learning experiences and flushed out areas we had gotten lax in. The question on the table was what happens if you are real bad at the oral and flying skills especially being unsafe. Can the the CFI that performed the bi-annual suspend your flying privileges until you undergo training? Exactly what is the process the CFI can take to ensure you will not be a hazard to yourself and others?

The question on the table was what happens if you are real bad at the oral and flying skills especially being unsafe. Can the the CFI that performed the bi-annual suspend your flying privileges until you undergo training? Exactly what is the process the CFI can take to ensure you will not be a hazard to yourself and others?
The flight review is not a pass or fail type of thing. You train until you’re proficient enough to be signed off.

To answer the question, NO the CFI cannot take any certificate action. If they don’t feel like you’re competent enough, than they simply won’t sign you off until you perform up to par. If you’re not current on your flight review, than you’re not legal to act as PIC.

A bunch of us pilots were discussing bi-annual flight reviews and our experience over the few that we have had. We all felt they are always great refreshers, learning experiences and flushed out areas we had gotten lax in. The question on the table was what happens if you are real bad at the oral and flying skills especially being unsafe. Can the the CFI that performed the bi-annual suspend your flying privileges until you undergo training? Exactly what is the process the CFI can take to ensure you will not be a hazard to yourself and others?

You don’t get signed off, and some training recommendations to get you back up to speed.

Well if he won’t sign your logbook then ur grounded once your old one no longer suffices... Would be my understanding you would have to work with them or another cfi until they felt they could sign ya off...

The CFI cannot suspend your privileges. The instructor can choose not to sign you off if your performance is substandard, and if you don’t perform to some CFI’s or DPE’s satisfaction before your flight review is due, you’ll be unable to act as PIC until you’re up to par and get somebody to sign you off.

If the instructor feels you are extremely unsafe, he can bring it up with the FSDO, just like anyone else.

Now...how many times will people repeat the same answer?
About seven more times. Then there will be be a two or three-day gap where nobody responds to this thread at all and then flyingron will chime in with the same answer already posted.

No, a CFI cannot suspend your certificate, but they can call the FSDO suggesting their intervention if he believed you could not meet the requirements of the certificate held. Such as unable to speak english, suffering from senility, ect.

Last edited:
And if ya can't find an instructor to sign you off, train for something new and pass a checkride. As a CFI, when people panic and get worked up over a flight review, those are exactly the kind of scenarios that cause angst in an instructor's mind. If you knew it was coming up, go read the FAA's guidance for instructors on a flight review and take the time to self-evaluate and get back up to speed and proficiency. Don't wait until the last minute to polish things back up.

About seven more times. Then there will be be a two or three-day gap where nobody responds to this thread at all
Make that a two or three month gap. Sometimes long enough for necropostdom.

Well if he won’t sign your logbook then ur grounded once your old one no longer suffices... Would be my understanding you would have to work with them or another cfi until they felt they could sign ya off...
Yes. You could use any cfi you like but until you get the endorsement you couldn’t fly as PIC after the previous two year endorsement lapsed.

Shortest Flight Review given = 1 Hr. flight & 1 Hr. Ground, the minimum required. Longest Flight Review given = 25+ Hrs. flight & lost count of ground time, before I would sign him off!

Shortest Flight Review given = 1 Hr. flight & 1 Hr. Ground, the minimum required. Longest Flight Review given = 25+ Hrs. flight & lost count of ground time, before I would sign him off!

Shortest flight review received: 1 hr total.

I’ve never received a flight review.

6 month recurrent sort of precludes needing one doesn't it. I actually went from 2002 to 2012 without having one. IR in 04, Comm in 06, ASES in 08, AMEL in 10. At the time I didn't feel like dropping 4k on a AMES, and had to fly with Ted for an hour. Actually all of my flight reviews have had 0 ground time.

The flight review was formerly called a biennial flight review, meaning once every two years; bi-annual means twice per year.

"Flunking" and "not signing off today" are awful dang close to the same thing, if you ask me.

"Flunking" and "not signing off today" are awful dang close to the same thing, if you ask me.
"Flunking" usually involves a termination and a permanent record, like the F on a college transcript when the semester is over, not, "let's keep going until you got it right."

"Flunking" usually involves a termination and a permanent record, like the F on a college transcript when the semester is over, not, "let's keep going until you got it right."
Because the only thing permanent that dragging somebody up to Private Pilot standards just long enough to do the paperwork will provide is an NTSB report and a grave.

Yes, I'm just a little more cynical than usual right now. The word "lawsuit " has been used. ;)

Because the only thing permanent that dragging somebody up to Private Pilot standards just long enough to do the paperwork will provide is an NTSB report and a grave.

Yes, I'm just a little more cynical than usual right now.
Apparently.
The word "lawsuit " has been used. ;)
In this thread, I think only by you. "Dragging" hasn't been either :)

The bigger issue is that a flight review is not a substitute for proficiency.. and in my experience flight reviews are pretty easy and cover just the bare bones of basic airmanship.. so if you're having trouble getting signed off then there are bigger items to worry about

I did a flight review for a guy a few years who hadn’t flown in over 2 years. He wanted me to sign him off even after he got lost coming back from the practice area to the airport.

The big question is if a CFI is not satisfied with my flying during a flight review, can I log the time as pilot in command? Asking for a friend.

Back