How not to fly an instrument approach to mins

In the video of his ridiculous bank and dive to 33, did anybody else think he was also dangerously close to the high building before the airport, or am I just being a wussy?
At lot closer than I would want to be. I wouldn't have gotten that close to O.co either, though

All joking aside, since this thread has a pretty serious background. I don't know if Jerry reads PoA, but...

Jerry, if you read this: Many have said, here on PoA and on other forums, that we want to help improve what we feel strongly is a situation with high risk of an accident. To add to this, here is my offer: if you agree to take a few hours of ground and flight instruction, I will personally pay for your instructor's time. You can contact me here on PoA, through a personal message on BeechTalk, or on reddit (u/Martin_Pauly) and we'll work out the details.

I'm not the world's greatest pilot, either. Does that offer stand for me, too?

Hmmm. If I post videos of flying into clouds maybe he'll pay for my IR. ;)

I wish I could extend that offer to everyone. Regular training is the absolute best thing we can do to make our flying safer and less accident-prone. It works for the airlines, and it will work for us if we just apply it.

I'm not the worlds greatest pilot either. And knowing that I'm not the world greatest pilot is key to improving. Looking at Jerry, what worries me more than how he flies is his apparent lack of self-assessment of his skills and risk exposure. He really doesn't seem to know what's going to kill him. It's really sad, because with a more open mindset to recurrent training and continuous improvement, he could probably be a very skilled and safe pilot.

I wish I could extend that offer to everyone. Regular training is the absolute best thing we can do to make our flying safer and less accident-prone. It works for the airlines, and it will work for us if we just apply it.

Thanks for nothin'!
(I am just jealous because you get to fly with Doug Rosendahl.)

Looking at Jerry, what worries me more than how he flies is his apparent lack of self-assessment of his skills and risk exposure. He really doesn't seem to know what's going to kill him. It's really sad, because with a more open mindset to recurrent training and continuous improvement, he could probably be a very skilled and safe pilot.

From what I've seen, some people just don't have what it takes to be good. Others see no problems with what they do until they have a near-death experience or get scared of enforcement action.

The problem with threat of enforcement action is that the person usually doesn't realize that he or she has a problem - it's more that they focus on not getting caught. So it may have the desired effect, but not the desired outcome of a mental change.

The problem with near-death experience is usually people like that only get near enough to scare them once, and by then it's too late.

A guy I instructed once is now dead because he lacked the ability to make good decisions. After numerous warnings from other pilots and enforcement actions to see he needed to change. He took his wife and some friends with him when he crashed.

I commend your offer - but Jerry needs more than a few hours of instruction. He needs an attitude change, and a mentor.

Believe it or not, the stuff on his YT channel now is pretty tame compared to the link I posted earlier. In one, he was no more than 100 ft over a housing area. I actually found it on google earth, got the elevation and compared it to his easily visible altimeter. Within hours of my post, he took it off his channel along with a few others.

His rebuttal to our critique is always that his mistakes are minor and that there’s nothing wrong with flying on the edge. His overconfidence stems from his whopping 2,700 hrs that he’s accumulated over 30 years of flying.

Listen, we all make mistakes in our flying. No doubt. The shear number of errors that I see and his wanton disregard for the regs, is what worries me. Then, to go and record it and put it on the internet??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ted
Believe it or not, the stuff on his YT channel now is pretty tame compared to the link I posted earlier. In one, he was no more than 100 ft over a housing area. I actually found it on google earth, got the elevation and compared it to his easily visible altimeter. Within hours of my post, he took it off his channel along with a few others.

His rebuttal to our critique is always that his mistakes are minor and that there’s nothing wrong with flying on the edge. His overconfidence stems from his whopping 2,700 hrs that he’s accumulated over 30 years of flying.

Listen, we all make mistakes in our flying. No doubt. The shear number of errors that I see and his wanton disregard for the regs, is what worries me. Then, to go and record it and put it on the internet??? :rolleyes:
Imagine how many like him aren’t posting videos on the internet.

I ordered my T-shirt last night. I can't take credit for any of the creative work - others here and on BeechTalk did that. Still, I thought it would be cool to actually have this shirt!

View attachment 72103
OMG. How do you sign up to get one of those. I imagine that is something you really could get ****ed about!!!

Doesn't everyone want to be an internet hero?

:yeahthat:

Meh. Check this one out.

OMG. Why make a 180 low slow with flaps out like that? You stall a wing and you are a twisting metal fireball.
What’s crazy is he seems to pull this off with relative ease.
What about that necessitated that kind of landing?!?
I get why ppl think he is all Boss as this crap can really impress someone who has never held a yoke as PIC. I makes me shutter.

When he upgrades to a turbine twin he’ll be better right?!! :eek:o_O
YT comments seem to support his flying "style."

endolphin
6 months ago
Your landing on 33 is so impressive!!

Brad Gray
2 months ago
Jerry, I've prob watched 20 of your videos over the last couple days. You're so good on the radio and as a pilot with only 300 hrs. .... it's been very helpful to listen to you. Great videos... and wow so many armchair pilots!

John Collins
6 months ago
Great bush landing on 33! Makes me want to go fishing.

UAL1kFlyer
6 months ago
Outstanding.

Brian L.
6 months ago
Jerry, as an IFR pilot, I have to say this is still the best Youtube flying channel around. Just watching these videos is a great way for any prospective instrument pilot to learn about the real world of flying in the system.... ;)

Doesn't everyone want to be an internet hero?

No kidding. What’s funny is, I’ve seen pics and vids posted by pilots on FB who are unknowingly doing something wrong / against regs. Just the other day I saw a cockpit pic of an EMS pilot doing something in violation of the flight manual that I’m sure he had no idea about.

That’s why I’ve completely removed all my work pics from FB. Just no way sanitizing everything, so I decide to just not post. Unfortunately, in my profession every scene LZ almost always has someone on the ground filming me, so I’m constantly under a microscope. :(

Reactions: Ted
YT comments seem to support his flying "style."

endolphin
6 months ago
Your landing on 33 is so impressive!!

Brad Gray
2 months ago
Jerry, I've prob watched 20 of your videos over the last couple days. You're so good on the radio and as a pilot with only 300 hrs. .... it's been very helpful to listen to you. Great videos... and wow so many armchair pilots!

John Collins
6 months ago
Great bush landing on 33! Makes me want to go fishing.

UAL1kFlyer
6 months ago
Outstanding.

Brian L.
6 months ago
Jerry, as an IFR pilot, I have to say this is still the best Youtube flying channel around. Just watching these videos is a great way for any prospective instrument pilot to learn about the real world of flying in the system.... ;)

He's also using a comment bot. A significant amount of the replies are bot accounts where the comments are populated by the creator. Generally a huge faux pas on YT, but it is a thriving business none the less. The trick is with the comment bots is to have grammar that is not similar to the creator's posts/replies. That is an extra add-on, and this particular "creator" hasn't upgraded the comment bot bot. It is easy to report these accounts on YT, and they vanish quick.

He's also using a comment bot. A significant amount of the replies are bot accounts where the comments are populated by the creator. Generally a huge faux pas on YT, but it is a thriving business none the less. The trick is with the comment bots is to have grammar that is not similar to the creator's posts/replies. That is an extra add-on, and this particular "creator" hasn't upgraded the comment bot bot. It is easy to report these accounts on YT, and they vanish quick.

Ok, it if it is true that he is using a comment bot to inflate his own ego, that suggests a whole other level of psychiatric issues.

So, how can you tell which ones come from a bot, and how do you report them?

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 1.53.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.03.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.03.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 2.05.00 PM.png
So, how can you tell which ones come from a bot, and how do you report them?
Here's how I think I can spot a comment bot. I may be wrong, but I'm seeing the effects. If I see a comment that is posted the same day the video is put up, by a generic avatar with a boring name (Sam Winters, Alanzo Smith, Ken Grothburger, dls93, or the like), and a quick comment that has no depth - but looks obviously like "Great vid! keep em comming" "best video yet, I love your angles" and the like over and over, then I click on the name. The youtube account will obviously be a total ghost of an account. Just a name. No activity, no liked videos, no comments, no nuthin'. Yes, I know we can turn off what other can see on our profile, but look: If someone is going to keep their account private and totally locked up, they are not going to only comment on this dude's video.

Here are some suspected bots, and I have called them out on it. If I am wrong, I apologize. If both comments are deleted, well, if it quacks like a duck...

The screenshots are of the most recent video, I think. We will see what happens. It will be interesting to see if I am wrong. And, I hope I am!

View attachment 72150 View attachment 72151 View attachment 72152 View attachment 72153
Here's how I think I can spot a comment bot. I may be wrong, but I'm seeing the effects. If I see a comment that is posted the same day the video is put up, by a generic avatar with a boring name (Sam Winters, Alanzo Smith, Ken Grothburger, dls93, or the like), and a quick comment that has no depth - but looks obviously like "Great vid! keep em comming" "best video yet, I love your angles" and the like over and over, then I click on the name. The youtube account will obviously be a total ghost of an account. Just a name. No activity, no liked videos, no comments, no nuthin'. Yes, I know we can turn off what other can see on our profile, but look: If someone is going to keep their account private and totally locked up, they are not going to only comment on this dude's video.

Here are some suspected bots, and I have called them out on it. If I am wrong, I apologize. If both comments are deleted, well, if it quacks like a duck...

The screenshots are of the most recent video, I think. We will see what happens. It will be interesting to see if I am wrong. And, I hope I am!
Okay, so how do I set up a bot to reply to my POA posts and tell me what an awesome pilot I am. I need to counteract the comments from those that have actually seen me fly. :)

Um....Av Shiloh is a real person. I know him personally, and have his number in my phone. I should tell him hes a bot. Has a sweet ass Comanche. My brother also has a YouTube account and is never posted a video so I guess he's a bot also?

you have proof of this? sounds like a typical unsubstantiated internet post that a lot of people end up believing. you know, like most of the cr ap we read here. he also has like 8k subscribers, did he make those up too?

this is an awesome post. you are a great pilot! keep up the good work!

giphy.gif

View attachment 72150 View attachment 72151 View attachment 72152 View attachment 72153

Keep up the good work, Eric! Don’t let the armchair internet experts discourage you!

Um....Av Shiloh is a real person. I know him personally, and have his number in my phone. I should tell him hes a bot. Has a sweet ass Comanche. My brother also has a YouTube account and is never posted a video so I guess he's a bot also?
I apologise for the assumption to Mr. Shiloh. Sorry for the mistake. His profile looks like it would be suspect as do the others. I didn't mean to suggest this particular account was a bot, as I directly implied the others to be.

Last edited:

How do we know you’re not a bot, how do I know POA isn’t all bots...actually that would explain some of the post counts some of you have.

Tom

It will be interesting to see if I am wrong. And, I hope I am!

I hope you're not wrong. If there's that many pilots who think this guy is good, well, more people than him are gonna die. :( I sincerely hope that MOST of those positive comments are fake!

But, you're wrong in at least one case. Av Shiloh is a real person, he's even a member here though I don't think he's been around in a long time. He owns a jet panel that's installed in a Turbo Comanche. :rofl:

av-shiloh-panel-jpg.22372

Back