Coming Soon: Garmin GTX 335

AK737pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I just bit the bullet and put an order in for a Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B out transponder for my 182.

I’ve been researching for a while how I was going to comply; IF I was going to comply. Most of my flying is outside the nearest Class C airspace, Anchorage, so I really don’t need it. What few times I might want to fly into Anchorage, it’ll be to Merrill Field where I can remain outside the C to get there. I’m not sure how long that’ll last- aren’t we supposed to have ADS-B within a certain radius of Class C, or within its actual boundaries?

I see it as an enhancement to safety. Another layer to see and be seen. Spending 99% of my flying behind a TCAS display, I feel naked without traffic information.

I considered the SkyBeacon, (more than $1000 less than any other option), but my Narco transponder and ACK encoder from the Jurassic age will probably need to be replaced in the near future anyway.

I narrowed it down to the Stratus ESG and the Garmin GTX 335. These coupled with my Garmin ADS-B receiver make the total package. Since Appereo won’t deliver to me, an every day average A&P (they’ll only ship the Stratus to an authorized installer), the only other choice was the Garmin.

I’ll install it myself: remove the Narco unit and tray, install the Garmin and GPS antenna. I’ll have my local avionics shop build a wiring harness.

How hard could it possibly be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I narrowed it down to the Stratus ESG and the Garmin GTX 335. These coupled with my Garmin ADS-B receiver make the total package. Since Appereo won’t deliver to me, an every day average A&P (they’ll only ship the Stratus to an authorized installer), the only other choice was the Garmin.

Ummm... say hello to my friend, Mr. Avidyne AXP340, and his close cousin, Mr. Trig TT31.

I chose the AXP340, pricing was excellent, A&P install.

I just installed a GTX335, very happy with it. Did you order the version with the built-in (well, attached) encoder? If not, I'd strongly consider it.

Ummm... say hello to my friend, Mr. Avidyne AXP340, and his close cousin, Mr. Trig TT31.

Good options, but they don’t have their own WAAS GPS source. Would you be able to just connect a GPS antenna? or do you need a WAAS unit installed?

I just installed a GTX335, very happy with it. Did you order the version with the built-in (well, attached) encoder? If not, I'd strongly consider it.

Yes. Garmin is running a special right now, transponder, GPS antenna, encoder, and a USB charger for right around $3000.

Hey Brad... I am working on my GTX335 installation. Quick question: what contact crimping tool did you use? My unit came with the contacts, but I can't find a reference to the correct crimping tool and there are many variations of these tools out there... Thanks!

Good options, but they don’t have their own WAAS GPS source. Would you be able to just connect a GPS antenna? or do you need a WAAS unit installed?

Nope. Connected to my GPS (IFD440). That'd make it less use to you, if you don't already have a WAAS source.

Any event, the Garmin is a great choice - don't know anyone who is less than satisfied.

Yes. Garmin is running a special right now, transponder, GPS antenna, encoder, and a USB charger for right around $3000.

Very good value!

The crimper the B and C sells for $45 will do the job. I used a similar one for a 430 w install. No problems.
Bought my GTX 335 from Spruce with their special and a free pre made cable. What a mistake, not only did they wire it wrong but also filled all the empty holes with pins without wires.
Those high density pins are almost impossible to remove.
If you have a shop or friend with the tool, take them the pins and let them crimp them for you.

Get the Steinair crimper. The one from Amazon won't crimp properly; making the pins very difficult to remove. Stein modifies theirs to crimp at the correct location.

Hey Brad... I am working on my GTX335 installation. Quick question: what contact crimping tool did you use? My unit came with the contacts, but I can't find a reference to the correct crimping tool and there are many variations of these tools out there... Thanks!

upload_2019-2-8_11-17-47.png

The GTX 335 has RS 232 output, right?
What is that useful for?

I’ve got a GDL 39 3D hardwired to an Aera 660. Is there any functionality the 335 can bring to my setup? Better position source for the portables?

Until Garmin opens up their data to everyone eles like L-3 does, no way in hell is one of their units going in my planes. They claim its for "security" reasons.

Why is Avidyne not sold by Aircraft Spruce?

I’ve got some work to do...

ea1fc7ce642c6ba2f11476e5e7988954.jpg

Transponder
GPS antenna
Transponder/ADS-B blade antenna
New coax with ends
Wiring harness
Altimeter/encoder calibrated

Final price: $3995

I’ve got some work to do...

ea1fc7ce642c6ba2f11476e5e7988954.jpg

Transponder
GPS antenna
Transponder/ADS-B blade antenna
New coax with ends
Wiring harness
Altimeter/encoder calibrated

Final price: $3995

Will you be eligible for the $500 rebate?

I don’t see why not

When you start the physical install, be mindful of the fact that you've not got to have not only room for the connector on the back of the tray, but room for the fitting that will go on the encoder and the static hose that will run off of it. My initial install planning failed to take the encoder fitting and hose into account.

Good to know, thanks!

I’m hoping it’ll just be an easy replacement of my Narco.

A lot of money, but the Lynx is the best unit going.
Yes - they are more expensive but they add another display the size of a 430. If you have a small form factor GPS like the 430 or IFD440, the Lynx is a great way to add another screen to display all the ADS-B in traffic and weather. It frees up the clutter on the navigator. We were spending a fair amount of money for a new transponder that you punch in a squawk code and forget it for the rest of the flight. The incremental cost to get an extra screen showing the traffic and weather was not much more.

Back