Owners, how do you deal with inactivity? (A rant)

Same problem no good vfr weather on days that i'm available. I go out to the airport at least 3 times a week and turn prop through 10-12 times. In a unheated hanger SE corner of MI . Hope I'm not hurting my lycoming 0-320 160hp.

You can't turn it fast enough to get oil pressure up and spray more oil when it's needed, so all you're doing is scraping oil *off* where it needs to be, and grinding metal against metal. Stop it.

I'm wondering if a pre-oiler wouldn't be a good thing to have - Anyone know how those work? Is it just an electric pump that pumps oil through the existing system? Seems like that would be at least somewhat helpful, if it's sitting for long enough for oil to come off the parts. I doubt it is nearly as good as running the engine up to operating temperature for an hour (and getting that mist of oil all over everything), but it might be helpful?

We need a hate button to go along with the like button...

<presses anti-hate button>

Besides, you don't see us Arizona guys crying about 115 degree heat in the summer, we just fly early in the morning or at night.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if a pre-oiler wouldn't be a good thing to have - Anyone know how those work? Is it just an electric pump that pumps oil through the existing system?
A friend of mine invented this. I don't know what all it would take (legal wise) to adapt it to an airplane, but I don't see why it wouldn't also prolong airplane engines. A lot of truckers, farmers, tractor/truck pullers, and drag car drivers around here have his pre-oilers installed. They work pretty well.

If you haven't flown in a while just take out all of the top spark plugs and dump oil straight into the cylinders before starting. :eek:

Honestly unless the airplane is stored in a high humidity environment I doubt a few months of inactivity are going to hurt anything. It’s the planes that haven’t been started in years I’d be worried about.

whew! Finally! acceptable day yesterday... Bird was right where I left her and started on first try... EVERYBODY was flying after a couple of weeks of crummy weather... EHO was a beehive and it is usually a sleepy little airport...My debit card got declined because it was being used miles apart within minutes...LOL... Good thing I have more than one...

Having learned to fly in northern Ohio winters, I found that it's quite rare to get seven days in a row in which one could not fly. (Of course, since the propeller folding incident, my personal max winds have decreased.)

Back