Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit - FCC site search

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I may start flying some international flights and realize I should have my FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit (RROP) to make sure I'm legal.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure I had one back in high school when I was active in the CAP. I believe we had to get one in order to use handheld radios on CAP frequencies and be assigned a callsign. This would have been somewhere between 1988 and 1992.

Of course, I now have no idea where it might be after 30 years. Back then I'm pretty sure it was free, now it's $70. I went on the FCC's website "ULS Archive search" at http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/LicArchive/searchArchive.jsp

but couldn't find it. I do wonder how complete that database is, though, for those years. As a test, I ran a search for "Smith" from 1988 to 1992 for RROP and it returned all of three results.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Do you know if the database is complete? If I called the FCC would they be able to look it up? Am I out of luck and should just pay the $70?

Of course it is possible that I never actually had one, but I really think I did.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I suspect the database is not accurate.
I searched for my license and that of my son-in-law, and neither of them turned up.

Couldn't find mine either. Seems I originally had to get one when I started flying in 1979. I think they were mandatory back then. One of the 'Rs' in ARROW.

mine came up, try to search under "Licensee" in this format
last name, first

Bob Smith would be

Smith, B

you need to put the comma in too

mine came up, try to search under "Licensee" in this format
last name, first

Bob Smith would be

Smith, B

you need to put the comma in too

That didn't work either. I have a very unique last name, should have been an easy search.

From doing some other queries, it seems that anything before sometime around the mid-90's is pretty hit-or-miss.

This conversation convinced me to get my RR. might as well, it isn't going to get cheaper in the future and it's good for life. much like a pilot certificate..

If you lost it, it's the same price to get a replacement anyway.

I suspect the database is not accurate.

Yeah, it's a bit off. My Dad's old license shows up, but mine from that same time (with a very similar ID) doesn't appear, although I did find my original card a few years ago...it's around here somewhere...

I'm sure they are putting the $70 to good use, right? Possibly securing the airwaves against terror.

Actually, if you get a GROL or a Radiotelegraph license, that suffices and it's free (as far as the FAA is concerned). You do have to pay the testing center to take the test modules.

Amusingly, when you get it, they send it to you as a PDF file with an "Official Copy" watermark. If you go to the site and ask for a duplicate it's watermarked "Duplicate." Of course, if you tweak your address or something you can get it to spit out another "Original Copy."
Backup your PDF file and you can print as many Originals as you like.

No joy on mine either, from back in 1970. Still have my faded copy though.

Actually, if you get a GROL or a Radiotelegraph license, that suffices and it's free (as far as the FAA is concerned). You do have to pay the testing center to take the test modules.

Amusingly, when you get it, they send it to you as a PDF file with an "Official Copy" watermark. If you go to the site and ask for a duplicate it's watermarked "Duplicate." Of course, if you tweak your address or something you can get it to spit out another "Original Copy."
Backup your PDF file and you can print as many Originals as you like.

Is there a “Sheppard Air” equivalent for the FCC tests?

For the aviation restricted radio there was no test as long as you’re already a certified pilot.

580-EF107-01-D3-42-D4-80-BA-1-E24-FC803-C73.jpg

Back