Ever smell pot in the air while flying?

giphy.gif

Never smelled pot, but I smell Little Debbies baking all the time, as the plant is nearly right below the traffic pattern of a nearby airport that I frequent.

Never smelled pot, but I smell Little Debbies baking all the time, as the plant is nearly right below the traffic pattern of a nearby airport that I frequent.
That's awesome.

No of course not. Why? What did you hear? Not that there would be anything to hear.

You can smell the Hershey Chocolate plant from 20,000’ while decending into NYC.

No joke, I smell fried chicken every time I fly over Detroit. There must be some kind of chicken cooking/rendering plant in Detroit.

4FCC8EF5-CF88-45F4-930B-2CDDC2CB329C.jpeg Huh....what?

I didn't think it had much of a smell unless it was burning. I walked through a field of it (in another country) and didn't smell anything unusual. In fact I didn't even realize it was marijuana until someone pointed it out to me.

I didn't think it had much of a smell unless it was burning. I walked through a field of it (in another country) and didn't smell anything unusual. In fact I didn't even realize it was marijuana until someone pointed it out to me.

Umm, a grow room has a distinctive danky odor......a friend informs me.

Umm, a grow room has a distinctive danky odor......a friend informs me.
A grow room would be different that a field outside, and definitely different than smelling something from a helicopter

At Flagstaff the company that makes cones for ice cream cones is next to the airport. Really smells good.!!

Maybe they should move next to each other....

A grow room would be different that a field outside, and definitely different than smelling something from a helicopter
....agreed, of course.....but just countering your proffered opinion that “it had much of a smell unless burning”.

You can smell the Hershey Chocolate plant from 20,000’ while decending into NYC.

Back in the old days, there was a Hershey plant in Oakdale, CA. It was directly abeam the missed approach point of the VOR approach into the airport. If I couldn't see the runway, I still knew where I was when I could smell the yummies!

There used to be a Stella d'Oro cookie plant next to the Major Deegan Xway (I-87) in the Bronx. When the wind was from the west ... MMMMmmmm!

-Skip

There is a cookie factory on one approach to KLUK. Made by elves.

Takes me back to the PSA midnight freaky flyer from SFO-LAX back in the 70's.......little orange glows all over......a cheap second hand buzz....lol

I'd have flown right over it and never noticed. I've read a number of articles about pilots/police whose job it is to spot it from the air. Apparently it stands out because it's not quite as dark green as surrounding forest. No kidding, it could be right in front of me and I still wouldn't be able to find it.

Of course, you're talking to someone who had runways right in front of him and couldn't see them in the pre-GPS days.

Did my primary at N57... for our solos we were signed off to MQS or OQN... I remember the instructor telling me if I get lost just open the window and follow the smell of the mushroom farms..

I'd have flown right over it and never noticed. I've read a number of articles about pilots/police whose job it is to spot it from the air. Apparently it stands out because it's not quite as dark green as surrounding forest. No kidding, it could be right in front of me and I still wouldn't be able to find it.

Of course, you're talking to someone who had runways right in front of him and couldn't see them in the pre-GPS days.
I hangar in the country, and one time my daughter and I went up to see if we could find some. In ten minutes we found four marijuana fields. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy. I did some checking and two of the four were state-legal medical marijuana.

You can sure smell it outside the dispensary grows around here.

I read the title of this thread quickly and thought it said Ever sell pot in the air while flying? that be some mad skillz if ya did.

I have smelled pot in the plane, and a lot of other nasty smells. Part of flying in northwest Alaska.

Couple years ago I was making a short hop from C75 to 3MY (17nm) on a cool calm May evening. Short trip so I was at 2k feet. I passed over Summer Camp http://summercampfestival.com and in an instant the only thing I could smell was weed and BO.
Come over to KAAA sometime and take a whiff as you climb out on the departure end of rwy03. One time they had some sort of HVAC or temp control problem at the Cresco labs plant and they had to blow the vents to the building. I was practicing T&G’s and daaaaaayum did it smell like every Phish concert I’d ever been too....minus the smelly hippies.

lol, I don’t buy it. They likely acted off info from an informant and made up that story.

At Flagstaff the company that makes cones for ice cream cones is next to the airport. Really smells good.!!

Maybe they should move next to each other....

Maybe they should through a little love this way.... these are the guys that make Sirracch sauce

In October 2013, the city of Irwindale, California, filed a lawsuit against the Huy Fong Foods factory after approximately 30 residents of the town complained of the spicy smells the factory was emitting while producing Sriracha sauce. The plaintiff initially sought an injunction enjoining Huy Fong from "operating or using" the plant.[23] On November 27, 2013, Judge Robert H. O'Brien ruled partially in favor of the city, declaring Huy Fong Foods must cease any operations that could be causing the noxious odors and make changes to mitigate them, though he did not order that operations cease completely. According to the judge, although there was a "lack of credible evidence" linking locals' complaints of breathing trouble and watering eyes to the factory, the odor that could be "reasonably inferred to be emanating from the facility" is, for residents, "extremely annoying, irritating and offensive to the senses warranting consideration as a public nuisance."[24]

In late January 2014, the city of Irwindale announced it was expanding its case against Huy Fong Foods to include a claim of breach of contract, alleging that the plant violated a condition of its operating permit by emitting harmful odors.[25] The case was scheduled for jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court on November 3, 2014.[26] On May 29, 2014, it was announced that Irwindale had dropped the lawsuit against Huy Fong Foods.[27] During the legal battles, a Texas delegation offered incentives to move operations to Denton.[28] Other states had also made offers for potential relocation.[29]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce_(Huy_Fong_Foods)#cite_note-29

Back