Landings-to-PIC hours ratio

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
As student pilots, we spend a lot of time practicing landings. Our logs may show 30 landings in 6 hours of flight. Then we "graduate" and we start spending more time cruising than buzzing in a pattern. Our logs show fewer landings (maybe just 1) per leg. And later, some of us return for more training. Again, more landings than flight hours.

So, what is your current ratio of landings-to-PIC hours?

Mine, at about 100 hours post-PPL, stands to 3.71, i.e., 3.71 landings for each hour logged as PIC.

The most landings I logged were 21 during 2.5 hours of flying. I was still a student, trying to overcome my discomfort with crosswind corrections, and I spent the entire 2.5 hours working the pattern at KPWK to show that opposite rudder pedal who's the boss.

Last edited:
too much effort to try to figure it out, but yeah, of course I'm doing fewer landings per hour

I think I'm down to about 1.5 landings per hour.

Hard to say. I might do a two hour cross country with one landing at the end but I'm just as likely to spend a half hour or hour in the pattern shooting landings just because I enjoy it.

I’m sitting around 1.6. That number will most likely start creeping up again as my flying now is currency only. Hopefully once I get my plane built I can start getting it back down.

I'm at about 2.9 landings per hour, as of today. When I passed my PPL checkride it was just over 4.4

I'm pretty close to 1:1, maybe even less than 1:1. Would have to check when I get home.

It seems like I'm now at 0.84. Certainly many airline pilots will be much lower.

For me, about half my total time is instructing, so I'm not logging many landings myself.

I'm a student pilot and don't keep track of the number of landings I make. Is this something I should be doing?

Easy enough to fill in the landings in your logbook every time you fly. (see right column in this example)

Jeppesen-Logbook-Left-Page.jpg

What about pilots that bailed and parachuted?

So does that still hold true for a Cirrus driver that pulls the red handle?

I said, freshman class; not graduate level course :)

And @dmspilot is right because one student whose father is an A320 pilot said that the pilot who performs the takeoff may not be the pilot who does the landing. Then he asked for extra credit :)

3.07 right now and getting lower ...

So far I have the same number of landings as I have take offs.....

I have crawled over the front seat and logged a landing or two with no takeoff. I have also climbed to altitude as PIC, then transferred the controls and jumped out, logging no landing.

2.1 for me after 174 hours. I have 5 more takeoffs than landings. My first instructor had me do takeoffs the first few lessons and he landed.

All landings counted...
1.106:1 based on total flight time

PIC landings and PIC flight time:
1.039:1

Non-training landings and flight time:
0.971:1

1.28 landings per hour. However, my XC is 0.67 to 1. I flew a lot of XC between PPL and IFR.

I usually have the same number of landings and takeoffs. But I have found that when I have one less landings, I am generally happier.

As far as ratio to hours, probably above 2. Most times I fly, I will make sure I renew currency.

I usually have the same number of landings and takeoffs. But I have found that when I have one less landings, I am generally happier.

As far as ratio to hours, probably above 2. Most times I fly, I will make sure I renew currency.
I actually have one less take off than landings :p Flew with a friend, he took off, I landed. Split the time in two with each of us logging half the flight.

0.95. (759 landings, 797 hrs)

763/560 for 1.36, because of flying a single-seat taildragger experimental for a few years. It was 167/70 for 2.38 at checkride time.

Back