Owners, how do you deal with inactivity? (A rant)

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
As some of you may recall I bought an airplane last October. After a 6 week pre-purchase and full annual I spent the next several weeks fulfilling my insurance requirements and took my wife up for one 100 burger... Since then the weather has thoroughly SUK'D and so has my work schedule... Just today (the only good wx day in the last 10) I was going to cut out at noon and fly but at the last minute was tagged for compliance training (because my boss got the dates wrong) and spent the entire afternoon (still sitting here at 3:40 PM) listening to some schmuck, who likes to hear himself talk, ramble on about total BS! So now, looking at the forecast, it could be another 7 to 10 days before there is another chance to fly. So here I sit. I can almost hear my camshaft rusting from here...

The airplane has spent its entire life, all 54 years, sleeping in a nice cozy hangar until I brought it home. Now because of non-available hangar space she sits outside in the rain (albeit with a full compliment of Bruce's Custom Covers). I worry about the damage the moisture and inactivity is reeking on my engine and systems. I used to shake my head at the guys who let their airplanes sit. But I'm beginning to see how it can be unavoidable some times... I haven't seen such consistently crummy weather as I've seen over the last year. Since bringing the plane home (three months ago) I've logged a whopping 27 hours or so, and 10 of those were over the first 2 days plus the 1.5 trip home. This is NUTS!

I haven't flown since the end of September last year, I've been working on one airplane while dad is enjoying flying the other one! (He has a pretty sweet deal hu? Bring me work and he always has a flyable airplane).

The weather this winter has made it challenging to get much done in my unheated hangar.

It happens to all of us at some point. Reality is winter for many is when flying just doesn't happen. In Pennsylvania there was a lot of low IFR that would put a hamper on flying days. Winter had lots of ice. Then you have times when life just gets in the way.

The weather will improve and you can make time to go fly. Take a deep breath.

O.K., I try to fly inside of every two weeks, usually once a week, but inside 2 is my goal. I use a bit of Camguard, though I think routine flying is more beneficial.

I suppose no hangar at a nearby airport? At least the days are getting longer. Is your airport night flying friendly?

Yes, I think your plane(and you) need to fly.

I understand! I bought in November and been a real dance to get my TW rating in and get insurance time in. Finally did, so got one of my boys up... I did the camguard thing too... I’m sure it’s not as good as flying but from what I understand- better than nothing...

I built a diy engine dehydrator based off the commercially available Engine Saver- but without a hanger you probably don’t have a 24/7 plug in spot...

I sit in my house watching the weather, dealing with whatever issue I have to deal with, etc. I sit there for weeks mad I can't fly, then I become resigned, miserable. I start wondering why I'm spending all this money on this thing I'm not even getting to use. I start wondering if I should hang it up and use all the free cash to build another garage and do more car stuff. Gradually getting more and more despondent, I forget the airplane even exists.

Then one day things line up and I have no excuse not to go anymore. I grudgingly go through the whole routine of a briefing, drag myself out to the field, go through the whole preflight BS and get the confounded thing ready to go. Now weeks maybe even weeks out of the game I depart and everything feels off. What's that noise? God if that engine stops that is going to suck I think as the plane gets bounced around by another thermal. I land, feeling awkward about the whole thing, grab my pizza or burger or whatever I came for. Load back up into the infernal machine and go through all the crap... then we climb out, level off and now it's later. The air is smoother, I'm used to the feel and sound of everything again. Actually this is pretty badass. Why didn't I try harder to get back up here? We need to go somewhere else... farther away and soon. Make a nice landing at home, regret having to put it away and go home. Start brainstorming places to go/stuff to do again soon on the way home.

That's pretty much it. I don't think the airplane it's self goes through this emotional rollercoaster.

With the recently rising prices, I had been kicking myself for not stretching the budget to buy last summer. But looking at how busy I have been at work and how dismal the weather has been, I guess I would have been kicking myself for other reasons instead if I had bought.

I did get pretty grumbly when the airport wrote 2 weeks ago to say they had a hanger for me.

As some of you may recall I bought an airplane last October. After a 6 week pre-purchase and full annual I spent the next several weeks fulfilling my insurance requirements and took my wife up for one 100 burger... Since then the weather has thoroughly SUK'D and so has my work schedule... Just today (the only good wx day in the last 10) I was going to cut out at noon and fly but at the last minute was tagged for compliance training (because my boss got the dates wrong) and spent the entire afternoon (still sitting here at 3:40 PM) listening to some schmuck, who likes to hear himself talk, ramble on about total BS! So now, looking at the forecast, it could be another 7 to 10 days before there is another chance to fly. So here I sit. I can almost hear my camshaft rusting from here...

The airplane has spent its entire life, all 54 years, sleeping in a nice cozy hangar until I brought it home. Now because of non-available hangar space she sits outside in the rain (albeit with a full compliment of Bruce's Custom Covers). I worry about the damage the moisture and inactivity is reeking on my engine and systems. I used to shake my head at the guys who let their airplanes sit. But I'm beginning to see how it can be unavoidable some times... I haven't seen such consistently crummy weather as I've seen over the last year. Since bringing the plane home (three months ago) I've logged a whopping 27 hours or so, and 10 of those were over the first 2 days plus the 1.5 trip home. This is NUTS!

With the recently rising prices, I had been kicking myself for not stretching the budget to buy last summer. But looking at how busy I have been at work and how dismal the weather has been, I guess I would have been kicking myself for other reasons instead if I had bought.

I did get pretty grumbly when the airport wrote 2 weeks ago to say they had a hanger for me.

always better to be in your hangar, listening to music/eating lunch/drinking a beer on the wing of your plane (or if you're weird, 'under' the wing) thinking about flying when the weather gets better than kicking yourself for not having made that purchase in the first place...…...

My new airplane is sitting on the ramp 1800 miles away waiting for me to go get her and fly her home. It's been two months since I bought the plane and I've been grounded or busy since... :(:(

I sit in my house watching the weather, dealing with whatever issue I have to deal with, etc. I sit there for weeks mad I can't fly, then I become resigned, miserable. I start wondering why I'm spending all this money on this thing I'm not even getting to use. I start wondering if I should hang it up and use all the free cash to build another garage and do more car stuff. Gradually getting more and more despondent, I forget the airplane even exists.

Then one day things line up and I have no excuse not to go anymore. I grudgingly go through the whole routine of a briefing, drag myself out to the field, go through the whole preflight BS and get the confounded thing ready to go. Now weeks maybe even weeks out of the game I depart and everything feels off. What's that noise? God if that engine stops that is going to suck I think as the plane gets bounced around by another thermal. I land, feeling awkward about the whole thing, grab my pizza or burger or whatever I came for. Load back up into the infernal machine and go through all the crap... then we climb out, level off and now it's later. The air is smoother, I'm used to the feel and sound of everything again. Actually this is pretty badass. Why didn't I try harder to get back up here? We need to go somewhere else... farther away and soon. Make a nice landing at home, regret having to put it away and go home. Start brainstorming places to go/stuff to do again soon on the way home.

That's pretty much it. I don't think the airplane it's self goes through this emotional rollercoaster.

Im glad my plane isnt the only one that gets that "auto rough" like condition after a break from flying her... i always think ive caught an emminent engine failure before it surprises me or shows any real signs repeatedly, after not flying for a few weeks, then it goes away and Shirley and I have a great time together... thats my plane, you can call her Shirley..

Well you could always look at the brighter side. You don't live in SE Alaska were good flying weather is hard to buy 12 months out of the year...:rolleyes:

I used to fly from Haines/Skagway to Juneau/Gustavus/Hoonah every day and only had maybe one or two weather days per month. Of course, what we flew in could hardly be called "good flying weather!"

Hi.
You may want to think about a Flight simulator?
P3d, FSXSE, XPlane11, or you can try Flight Gear which is free. It may not help the landings but it can help with Navigation, IFR training, some addon scenery can help with some ground recognition...

I used to fly from Haines/Skagway to Juneau/Gustavus/Hoonah every day and only had maybe one or two weather days per month. Of course, what we flew in could hardly be called "good flying weather!"
My point exactly.

Yeah, it sucks to not fly, and it sucks more if your not flying hurts your airplane.

If it's the latter, you can always find a buddy who will fly the plane for you if you can't fly it on one of the nice-weather days. Make sure they're on your insurance, though.

My plane has a 10-day wind-up clock. I try to fly often enough that the clock never stops...

... I figure my clock has been stopped for the past 30 days or so. It’s winter/it happens.

To the OP, I feel your pain. Picked up my plane in CA with 10 hours on the Hobbs to NY. A beautiful 21 hours last July. It’s mow late February and only 10-12 hours since then. All due to lousy WEATHER!!! It truly is depressing. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that march will be the turnaround month here in the northeast. At least, mine is hangered.

I have thought about this and came up with a process that is sure to get you in the air. I have presented it below in an easy to read format. feel free to print it out, bring it with you, study it.

deleteme.jpg

Last Jan i flew 15 hour and last Feb i flew 14 hours

this winter since Jan 1, i have flown 3.5 hours....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I try to go at least twice per week, but that doesn't happen every week in the winter. I use Flight Sim to practice procedures if I miss more than a week. It usually means I'm sitting at home in bad weather, so it's better than nothin'.

I see alot of GA planes baking, freezing and corroding rotting on the ramp at some of the smaller airports - so sad. I can see how it happens, though - lose the job, retirement income isn't the same as when working, medical issues or just too busy among other reasons. I just hate seeing the fleet of affordable planes dwindling only because of lack of use and protection. Glad I don't rely on a boat for adventure! Up here in the Northeast...

This is exactly me(are you in my head?). Except I would spend the money on Harleys and guns.

Jerry, I'm in exactly the same boat (and we need one with all the rain we've had) as you, except I got my plane in December and except I do have a hangar in my backyard to keep it in. I've been keeping busy with tinkering with the plane and learning about the plane and its systems. It's an experimental, so I have a little more flexibility in the maintenance area. And we have several other skilled RV owners on the field here, including an A&P with an RV-4 he built. While I've been grounded, I did my first airplane oil change, including filter and oil screen. I'm also in the process of replacing a cracked master brake cylinder that was seeping brake fluid, so learning about draining and bleeding brake lines. Little things like that are at least keeping me in touch with the plane. I sure hope nicer weather comes soon, though.

this has been my emotions for last 2 months.. in fact the other day i was so frustrated with WX and my timing when i can actually fly, i went to the airport fully knowing i cant fly just to do pre-flight ... do i still remember? did pre-flight, took the nav cards out and drove back home... :(

not exactly sure what that yellowy looking thing is, but there is some potential for a breakfast run next week. not sure of your work sched but u might be able to squeeze in a lunch run. I'm leaning towards breakfast on Thursday.

upload_2019-2-27_15-55-35.png

Im retired, so work doesn't get in the way. But the weather has been crap. Had to cancel my commercial check ride today due to WX. I use camguard to help me sleep at night

not exactly sure what that yellowy looking thing is, but there is some potential for a breakfast run next week. not sure of your work sched but u might be able to squeeze in a lunch run. I'm leaning towards breakfast on Thursday.

View attachment 72085
not sure where this forecast is for.. but i should consider moving

Same problem no good vfr weather on days that i'm available. I go out to the airport at least 3 times a week and turn prop through 10-12 times. In a unheated hanger SE corner of MI . Hope I'm not hurting my lycoming 0-320 160hp.

Same problem no good vfr weather on days that i'm available. I go out to the airport at least 3 times a week and turn prop through 10-12 times. In a unheated hanger SE corner of MI . Hope I'm not hurting my lycoming 0-320 160hp.

Conventional wisdom is that you're scraping the oil off of the parts that need it on your next start. Better to just leave it alone...

I hear ya OP. Sitting reserve waiting to get called to fly in this perfect AK winter weather right now. Probably won't get called for that same reason. Can't fly when I'm released since my plane is in Seattle. When I do get to Seattle to fly, the weather is terrible. So I just sit in my plane and play Tommy Toggle Hangar Pilot and make airplane noises. Shoulda coulda woulda bought a Cub....sigh. Hell of a first world problem to have to trudge through. Pause when agitated, confide in the PoA fellowship, pray for better weather - is the best I can do. :)

Back