I'm glad the FAA Color vision test isn't as hard as this one.

The USAF is finally relaxing the color vision requirements, especially since that CCT mickey mouse laptop test got implemented and 'normal' people started failing left and right. The weird thing about military medicals is, the tough part is getting in. Once you're in, they waive the snot out of things...for the most part. Med Group is still no friend of mine. LOL

The USAF is finally relaxing the color vision requirements, especially since that CCT mickey mouse laptop test got implemented and 'normal' people started failing left and right. The weird thing about military medicals is, the tough part is getting in. Once you're in, they waive the snot out of things...for the most part. Med Group is still no friend of mine. LOL

Funny. I never had a problem with either the color plates or the laptop, but the damn circles in the bar for depth perception was hit or miss.

Funny. I never had a problem with either the color plates or the laptop, but the damn circles in the bar for depth perception was hit or miss.
The laptop slide show for color blindness was timed and pretty tough, I thought. The circles were lucky guesses every year. I was told that it was always one of the middle three, and that helped but it was still a best guess.

I got 3. Is that good?

Not if my 6 puts me at the 47th percentile.

Seems to me the medical side of the FAA could take a lesson from the flight standards side of the FAA, and implement a practical test.

- “Here’s a picture of a PAPI. Are you high, low, or on glide slope?”
- “Here’s a picture of a pinpoint of light behind 1/2” tinted glass from a mile away. Are you cleared to land?”
- “Here’s a picture of two parallel rows of lights. Are you on a runway or taxiway?”

I did manage to pass the Demonstrated Abity test with the FAA. I could identify light gun signals from Opa Locka tower a LONG time ago, but the waiver they gave me does not have an expiration date.

On thing to note is that the color rendition of your particular display adapter and monitor can affect the outcome.

On thing to note is that the color rendition of your particular display adapter and monitor can affect the outcome.

Yep! I got the pink one wrong due to my phone showing the upper left quadrant as darker then the incorrect pair. After I brightened my phone it showed correctly.

My AME had one of those DMV eye test devices that I couldn’t pass to save my life. He sent me back to my eye doctor the first time I saw him. My eye doctor called and told him that his equipment was crap.

Last edited:
9/10. Missed the one about the darkest shade of orange. Had to guess.

5/10. On my phone. Bet my score on my computer will be much different, probably even different on each monitor since the two render colors very differently.

5 of 10 on phone 9 of 10 on laptop. Reminds of taking the CCT for AF physical, I see "normally" IMHO but scored 7-10 on green so got the TBNT for any rated slot.

5/10. On my phone. Bet my score on my computer will be much different, probably even different on each monitor since the two render colors very differently.
As I suspected, 8/10 on my desktop. Pretty sure I really had 9/10, but I got a little sloppy on the very last example.

I did a subliminal guess on the last question. Won't your results be skewed if you take the test again and remember what the correct answers were? I only took it once, so don't know if they change the answers around for each try.

The last red one got me. Could not see any letter or number in it. Might be my screen. Dunno. I am not red blind. I got the pink shades just fine.

Not if my 6 puts me at the 47th percentile.

Seems to me the medical side of the FAA could take a lesson from the flight standards side of the FAA, and implement a practical test.

- “Here’s a picture of a PAPI. Are you high, low, or on glide slope?”
- “Here’s a picture of a pinpoint of light behind 1/2” tinted glass from a mile away. Are you cleared to land?”
- “Here’s a picture of two parallel rows of lights. Are you on a runway or taxiway?”

I like it, but if you are taking a vision test for your first medical, and everyone says get your medical before you start lessons, wouldn't you just about be gaurranteed to fail? (I think gaurranteed is just about the ugliest word in English!)

I like it, but if you are taking a vision test for your first medical, and everyone says get your medical before you start lessons, wouldn't you just about be gaurranteed to fail? (I think gaurranteed is just about the ugliest word in English!)

Good point; didn’t think of that.

That was neat. All I saw female anatomy :rolleyes:. No answers accounted for that.

I have trouble with the plates, particularly in bad lighting or with (I think) faded plates but I got 9/10.

Not bad for a guy who was told "no military flying for you" a long time ago... The sorting test has never been an issue but I wasn't aware of that option at the time...

Back