Thinking about a PlayStation[something]

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm not much of a video game person. Mom didn't get me them growing up. But in 3rd grade a friend of mine gave me his Nintendo (his parents got him a Super Nintendo) and so I had that for a year or two before giving it back to said friend. We have one of those Atari classic consoles with something like 30 games on it. We have fun playing it from time to time.

In high school, I got an original PlayStation and had some games that I got with it. I played some of them, but really the only one that I liked was Gran Turismo. Racing. In the 2000ish timeframe the graphics were phenomenal. Then GT2 came out. More cars, more tracks, even better. I really enjoyed that game, being a car person. Really, I still am a car person. I can't remember the details, but somewhere along the line I sold it.

Fast forward to today. I'm still not much of a video game person. BUT I miss playing Gran Turismo. When the PlayStation Classic came out I was hoping that GT or GT2 would be on it, but alas, neither were on. For that reason I didn't buy it.

I haven't kept up with any of the PlayStation whatevers since high school or the different Gran Turismos. I remember towards the end of high school a friend got a PS2 and GT[whatever] that was made for it, I want to say GT3. More tracks, more cars, etc. etc. I'd imagine that continues to go on up that each version of GT has more tracks and more cars than the previous one.

So now, I'm thinking about buying a PlayStation of some sort. But it looks like $300 or so for a PS4, so figure $350 for a PS4 plus the latest Gran Turismo. I have a hard time bringing myself to that but it seems like used PlayStations of any sort sell for more than they should.

Or should I just get a PS Classic and hack it so I can then put on GT1/GT2?

Summary: I'm old. Get off my lawn. Any of you kids out there know what I need?

If you want an old school Playstation I’d just emulate it via PCSX (or whatever - lots of options) and get a USB Playstation controller. Works great for me on both Mac and PC, and since it’s installed on my laptop I can take it with me too.

If you want an old school Playstation I’d just emulate it via PCSX (or whatever - lots of options) and get a USB Playstation controller. Works great for me on both Mac and PC, and since it’s installed on my laptop I can take it with me too.

Do you have that for PS1 or PS2? Or both?

I only played at any length with GT1 or GT2. It seems by some of the later ones they got to some pretty insane numbers of cars and tracks, which honestly I view as a good thing given my ADD-ness when it comes to vehicles and keeping it interesting.

I only have it for PS1, although I’d imagine the PS2 emulators would be just as good.

I have GT1 for my emulator, and it does a fine job.

If youre looking to scratch the racing itch consider buying a used xbox one 149-199 depending on model. Forza is in many ways a better "sim-lite" game than GT.
You might be able to emulate PS2 pretty good on a PC depending on HW specs.
The numbered forza series is more "sim" the Horizon series is more arcade.

The ps2 had some good flying games as well. We have a ps2 and a red Baron game (with Snoopy) and the gt franchise up to 4. Good games.

The graphics for the gt1 & 2 are sad on today's computer age.

I can't bring myself to get the latest PlayStation since they aren't backward compatible. Hundreds of dollars of games that v would be paperweights. I've scored some pretty good ps2 games at those resale shops.

Once you play a PS3, the PS2 is horrible.

The PS3 to PS4 isn't quite as big of a leap.

I say PS3. You get a blu ray player as well, and good graphics.

I have Forza 7 (sim style) and Forza Horizon 4 (arcade style) on Xbox One. Assetto Corsa on Xbox One is pretty awesome too if you're into drifting

I didn't have great luck with PS2 emulators and didn't like being dependent on someone else for the games so I refurbished my old PS2 early this year. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank FTW. A used PS2 is pretty cheap and probably less headache than an futzing with an emulator if my experience is any indication.

OTOH, I got a PS4 after a preview of the remastered The Last of Us, just to be able to play it. Worth every penny. I've found a few other PS4 games that are good, but nothing I've found compares with TLoU - but I'm not a driving game kinda guy. As @StevieTimes alluded to, there's no comparison between a PS1/2 and a PS4. Unfortunately the 3 and 4 are not backwards compatible with the 1/2.

Nauga,
who sees @Ted DuPuis as more of a GTA guy ;)

Nauga,

You make an interesting point there, Nauga, as well as some food for thought.

I've enjoyed GTA as well, although I had the most fun with it with the cheat codes where I'd end up getting the police into full on military trying to kill me, but I was invincible. I never played any of the GTAs beyond the early ones.

One thing that's come to mind is that I enjoyed playing GTA mostly in the days before I'd started driving much. In New York at the time you couldn't get your permit until 16, license until 17, and my mom had a Volvo. At least it was a red one. A number of the inaccuracies in GT and GT2 might be more annoying to me now, that I suspect they'd have tuned out by the later versions. For example, my primary car was the 3000GT VR-4 (Mitsubishi GTO). When going for the Stage 4 turbo kit, for example, the "turbo lag" was coupled with RPM, which isn't how it works. The engine would be bogged down at low RPM in neutral until the "lag" went away and then it would shoot up. In reality the engine would still accelerate freely, it's just that the power wouldn't come in until later.

The earlier versions were also very heavy on Japanese cars, which I don't much care for now. Looking through the car list, it looks like GT6 gets to the point of having a lot of cars that interest me today, certainly moreso than looking at a GT1/2/3.

So, maybe that makes the decision for me. Maybe.

I didn't have great luck with PS2 emulators and didn't like being dependent on someone else for the games so I refurbished my old PS2 early this year. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank FTW. A used PS2 is pretty cheap and probably less headache than an futzing with an emulator if my experience is any indication.

OTOH, I got a PS4 after a preview of the remastered The Last of Us, just to be able to play it. Worth every penny. I've found a few other PS4 games that are good, but nothing I've found compares with TLoU - but I'm not a driving game kinda guy. As @StevieTimes alluded to, there's no comparison between a PS1/2 and a PS4. Unfortunately the 3 and 4 are not backwards compatible with the 1/2.

Nauga,

It's strange... MY ps3 is indeed backwards compatible, and I can play PS2 games on it. You're right though, in that not ALL PS3s are backwards compatible:
https://www.lifewire.com/can-your-ps3-play-ps2-games-2717135

As for GTA; best. game. ever.

You make an interesting point there, Nauga, as well as some food for thought.

I've enjoyed GTA as well, although I had the most fun with it with the cheat codes where I'd end up getting the police into full on military trying to kill me, but I was invincible. I never played any of the GTAs beyond the early ones.

One thing that's come to mind is that I enjoyed playing GTA mostly in the days before I'd started driving much. In New York at the time you couldn't get your permit until 16, license until 17, and my mom had a Volvo. At least it was a red one. A number of the inaccuracies in GT and GT2 might be more annoying to me now, that I suspect they'd have tuned out by the later versions. For example, my primary car was the 3000GT VR-4 (Mitsubishi GTO). When going for the Stage 4 turbo kit, for example, the "turbo lag" was coupled with RPM, which isn't how it works. The engine would be bogged down at low RPM in neutral until the "lag" went away and then it would shoot up. In reality the engine would still accelerate freely, it's just that the power wouldn't come in until later.

The earlier versions were also very heavy on Japanese cars, which I don't much care for now. Looking through the car list, it looks like GT6 gets to the point of having a lot of cars that interest me today, certainly moreso than looking at a GT1/2/3.

So, maybe that makes the decision for me. Maybe.

That's what's so great about the latest GTA; no more driving, if you don't want to. Take a taxi! Also, the cars have GPS that warn you, verbally, about impending turns.

Driving can be fun, but it can also get you into trouble. I found taxis were the best. Also trying to steal the big jet was great.

Reactions: Ted
You could go all in with VR on the PS4. I really want some Ace Combat.

MY ps3 is indeed backwards compatible, and I can play PS2 games on it.
That's good to know....and PS1 too! I'll have to pay closer attention to the stack of PS3's in pawn shops I scout from time to time.

Nauga,
nostalgic

So, after looking through the list, it looks like GT5 or GT6 is what I'd want. GT6 really. But, I found someone selling a PS3 with GT5, some Indy car game, and something else for $50. Looked to be in mint condition, so I picked that up.

I might hook it up after the kids go to bed and see if I can still remember how to drive a computer.

She’s great at crashing into walls.

8CAE03D8-E42C-4A12-8A66-CB2542A08F2B.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-27_20-23-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-27_20-23-56.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3
Back