GPS question

With two inputs , the only I can think of , would be to maintain some kind of trend representation ( based on historical data) and then , if the sources disagree, measure deviation from the trend and go with the less dramatic input ...

Decent. But if you've just started up, what do you use for a trend?

besmirching ForeFlight is not slamming a poster.

Anyway, to further clarify that IFR doesn't require GPS but is benefited by it, There are many airports that only have GPS IAPs. An Approach Certified GPS opens up a lot of otherwise no-goes in the weather.

En-route certified GPS gives you Direct routing, but also, the VOR removal program is slowly progressing. It will likely be years, but eventually my fancy nav radios will be as useful as an ADF or LORAN.

Not sure how much GPS oriented training you're getting from your CFI, but not all GPS's are created equally. En-route, Approach, and WAAS are concepts to know, since they allow different things. [ICBW, but I don't think there is a WAAS GPS that is NOT Approach certified]

Don't let that ForeFlight ground track get you lazy about flying headings and knowing the WCA's. Trust me, I'm guilty of "coupling up" at 1000' and letting the 430W and Auto take her up, level her off and go to the right place. My role at that point is to adjust power and monitor the situation. Oh, and to communicate since I always use FF. <- yup, Flight Following

Decent. But if you've just started up, what do you use for a trend?

Nothing . Just throw an exceptions that inputs disagree.
The idea is to smooth out, without involving the user ,temporary disruptions of service - even that is dangerous and requires massive testing with real-life gps data to verify that the trends algorithm is even meaningful in this context.

Nothing . Just throw an exceptions that inputs disagree.
The idea is to smooth out, without involving the user ,temporary disruptions of service - even that is dangerous and requires massive testing with real-life gps data to verify that the trends algorithm is even meaningful in this context.

Fair enough. In my day job we work (among other things) on helicopter sims. The primary advocate on the Army side keeps reminding folks: "If we get this wrong, people die." It's a sobering reminder.

The only time I'd fly an airplane without a panel mount GPS is if I was doing aerobatics or something of the sort. If you are going to get an instrument rating, you should be as comfortable as possible programming an IFR GPS before you start that training, and even VFR in complex airspace is much safer and more rewarding if you have good equipment on board. If I had to learn how to program a 430 at the start of IFR training, it would take forever.

I've found that after a good basic introduction, IFR flight training is probably the best way to learn your gear.

I have a G3X Touch and use an iPad Mini directly above it to run Garmin Pilot. The G3X has some functions not available on iPad but the functions that both do? No difference. Don’t underestimate the iPad.

Back