Holy wind!!!

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
0A8476E5-F9CE-4634-B6BF-9FB41CE19041.png seems like we are in for some legendary winds in NEPA. Can’t imagine trying to fly the 182 in this stuff. Calling for gusts into the 50’s!!!

Had to cancel a PnP flight for tomorrow due to winds. Always a bummer.

We’re getting G27kt here. A little on the breezy side for me!

Pass.

Quick! Plan an overnight cross-country somewhere WNW of you. Take a pic of your GPS ground speed.

I was flying through that crap yesterday. Coming home sucked.

You may be able to find a 70 kt tailwind below 10k, flying East. You just have to be able to land when you get where you’re going.

Funny, don’t see any light airplanes up now.

How would you enter a holding pattern today, by the book or roll your own?
Would be interesting!! Fortunately the wind is aligned with the course. Was playing numbers and looks like I’d cross the FAF at like 40-50kts. For the Localaizer my timing would almost double! Type of crap you do in a sim!
I know ppl higher up are always flying in this wind. But they have much faster planes! Not used to seeing close to 60kts at 6k.

Meh. I've gotten 65kts right on the tail at 9000. Adam and Adam had ~80kts crossing Lake Michigan once.

Most of my hold practices have been in winds like that, makes life interesting. Depending on the mission I would not cancel on that info alone, need more info. That said, going to be windy here tomorrow, surface winds forecast to gust to 45 knots, nope, not flying.

Fortunately the wind is aligned with the course.
The AIM's recommendation has credence today, "All fixed wing aircraft conducting holding should fly at speeds at or above 90 KIAS to minimize the influence of wind drift."

Some of the airline flights are showing ground speeds in excess of 600kts/700mph heading west to east.

We had gust over 50 kts in Detroit today. First time that I saw that jets landed on the ‘short’ RW 27...

Night like this I check the FlightAware app on my phone, see who’s out there. No GA singles but was surprised to see a Navajo streaking across to KELZ-that is socked in. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Seems like their home base- the desire to get in will be great.

Speaking of winds. Was returning from Diego Garcia back in 1980. Our first leg to Yokota AFB for fuel then was suppose to fly to Anchorage for customs. Captain of our World Airways DC-10 told us we were flying the fastest ground speed of his career something like 800 mph. We got approval for direct Travis AFB in CA and were many hours early. Oh, and I had 185kt GS at 2.5K once in a 180hp Mooney Ranger. Nothing spectacular but memorable. Good times

Just cancelled a flight I was going to make today from the Knoxville area SÉ to Sumter SC.

SIGMET for severe turbulence 12k and below, reported by aircraft. Winds at 9,000’ around 50+ kts from the NW with 6,000’ mountains along the route. Plus, the flight was to get a friend, who’s a fresh Private Pilot, to Sumter to pick up a Remos Light Sport he had just purchased. Certainly not a day for Light Sport flying at altitude, in any case.

It was soo bad (the wind and dust) at KELP last Friday even several of the big iron was going missed on numerous approaches!

It was gusts into the 50s if not low 60s on the ground here, I would be in ground effect at that! I thought about going and lashing the 140 to a tree and getting some hours in without having to burn fuel! Fly her like she's a kite!

ASOS at KBJJ (just across the runway from the house) was reporting G53@5PM, G55@7PM, G51@10PM.

My wife postponed her return flight in the Citation yesterday due to wind....coming back today.

The wind woke me up around 4AM this morning (and we don't normally hear wind...concrete walls (ICF)) Will be interesting to see those figures!

Jim

In Kotzebue years ago the wind was sustained 60. And right down the center line. I was flying a C-207 and using 65k for final. My roll outs after touchdown were measured in inches. I would touch down on the threshold and exit the runway on the taxiway to enter the runway.

Meanwhile, in Indiana...

uy6vhmkgdpi21.jpg

I checked this thread thinking it would be about surface winds. Most of those winds aloft wouldn’t even be remarkable if they were at the surface up here. I flew a few groups of Boy Scouts for their aviation merit badge in 20G40 that was about 60 degrees off the runway. That’s the day I really learned that the wind direction does change with the gusts.

—Bill Brasky
upload_2019-2-25_19-43-57.png

So like, this wind, a Tuesday in Ketchikan? Or on a Monday in Juneau? Back in my day, airplanes didn't have wind limitations! Breaking action nil, down hill, both ways, NDB to a hunnert feet! And we liked it! Get off my lawn!

Joking aside, I hope all the planes make it through without ripping out the tiedowns. With that wind, I'd be afraid my hangar stayed together.

Back