First solo completed today!

LoneAspen

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoneAspen
After getting delayed for a little over a week by afternoon winds almost every day at KAPA (Centennial), I finally knocked out my first solo this morning!

Instructor and I did two touch-and-gos to make sure I was ready, and I dropped him off at the hangars, and I went up and did three full stop taxibacks in an SR20.

I was probably about as nervous as most people (if not more because I've seen how busy KAPA can be), but I felt everything went well. I actually wasn't as concerned with the actual takeoffs and landings as I was with making sure I understood ATC's instructions, and correctly following other traffic in the pattern.

I tried to mentally prepare myself during preflight that I was going to do three perfect landings. LOL - yeah, right. They weren't my best landings, but not my worst either. Somewhere in the middle. Probably due to nerves over soloing, and also because of a couple large flocks of geese at the approach end of the runway that I was also having to pay attention to. They didn't bother me on my first two landings, but on the third, one flock took off right as I was about to pass over and I thought I might have to do a go-around, but they stayed low and flew off to the side, so was able to land normally.

When we both went up, it wasn't busy at all, and I thought, "Good - mostly empty pattern, so I won't have to keep mental track of as many other planes." Wrong! When I taxied out, I was behind three Cessnas who were also doing some pattern work, so I had some other company in the pattern.

Also took off and landed on the 35 runways, and most times we've used the 17 runways. So using the opposite runways and having other planes in the pattern was probably a good change-up for me so I don't get too used to operating one way all the time.

All in all, it was the perfect mix of excitement and nervousness, and I learned a lot. Now to knock out the rest of the solo requirements and keep learning! Feels really good to have the first solo checked off the list :)

Nicely done! Looking forward to mine next week down here at KGUC (Gunnison). Did a bunch of t&g’s today and changed up the runways. It is definitely good to mix them up, too much of the same approach’s and you forget to think about your radio calls.

Congrats! I love these posts. Seeing people make that first milestone, and remembering mine (remember thinking “now I HAVE to land, no options”).

Congrats! You are truly a pilot now... you have done what only a very small perectage of people can do! Welcome!

Thanks everybody! And yes, it definitely "got real" when I took off by myself and realized now I have to land by myself!

did you leave your shirt tail at the FBO?

No shirts were harmed in the making of this solo :) My instructor actually writes the date, the reg number of the plane, and some other cool stuff, on your shirt. I've never been big into having a bunch of pictures and stuff hanging in the house, but this is extra special for me, and I'm going to have it framed and put it in my home office.

It's definitely a very special day I'll never forget!

Congrats! Were you in 3GS?

Great job! Nothing like the feeling of "Holy crap, I'm doing this by myself" turning into "Holy crap, I have to do this by myself"!!!

Congratulations!
I did mine a little over a month ago and I'll never forget it. Did three good laps around the pattern and my CFI asked if I was ready. I could barely talk through the huge grin. She told me to taxi back to FBO and let her out. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be - more.. what? focused? Did three pretty good ones and came back with the same huge grin on my face. She cut off my tail, wrote the details on it. A bunch of experienced pilots were in the FBO and they all shook my hand and gave me congrats. It was like joining a club... I know I have more to go to really join that club, but it felt really good.

Anyway, congrats! Now you get to go out to the practice area by yourself (if your CFI endorsed you outside the pattern). I did my first flight solo outside the class D to the practice area a few weeks ago. Let me tell you - there is nothing like taking off, getting cleared VFR (I have to fly outside the SFRA first) and just experiencing the feeling of freedom that flying by yourself on a beautify clear winter day gives you. I thought I had the flying bug before - let me tell you I am obsessed with it now.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey. Congrats and good luck!

Congrats and welcome to the club! It's a great feeling now proving you can do this by yourself.

Congrats! Were you in 3GS?

Yep! I think 3GS was also the plane I went up in when I took my first lesson.

hope someone videoed the event

Unfortunately not. I thought about getting a GoPro and trying to video it, but didn't have time, and figured it would just be a distraction getting it set up, on a day when I didn't need any distractions. But, as my instructor starts signing me off for other solo work, I might get one so I could record my operations and ATC calls so I can review them later and learn from them. I actually downloaded the LiveATC feeds from when I was up, and was reviewing them and learning where I could clean things up. I would probably benefit a lot from being able to review video and my ATC calls after a flight.

Thanks everybody! And yes, it definitely "got real" when I took off by myself and realized now I have to land by myself!...
Congrats!
My first solo was almost 24 years ago, but I still remember looking over at that empty seat (where the instructor normally sat) and thinking, "This just got serious!"

I actually downloaded the LiveATC feeds from when I was up

I thought I was the only one who did this! It's strange hearing your radio calls on LiveATC isn't it? My voice never seems to sound like I think it should sound.

Congrats ,you never forget that first solo.

CONGRATS!!!!

Great job! Nothing like the feeling of "Holy crap, I'm doing this by myself" turning into "Holy crap, I have to do this by myself"!!!

Isn’t that the same feeling every time ?

Congrats OP, big day, you will remember this day for a long time.

Awesome job! It's something that'll alway be one of the highlights of your life.

I remember thinking as I climbed out on my first solo take-off: "If I never fly again after this, I can always say I flew an airplane - all by myself!" I could've quit right then with that satisfaction of accomplishment (although that same inner voice would've some day said, "You idiot! Why did you quit?!?").

I wonder how many student pilots have quit their training at this point, for pretty much the same reason.

SINCERE CONGRATS!! It certainly gets very, very real when the first time wheels lose pavement contact, and you're by yourself.

Non pilots have no idea what this is like. Pity...

Congrats Pilot!

Oh... and I hate you for flying a SR20. :p Just kidding! OK, so I’m (a little) jealous.

Back