VIRB / Go Pro Settings

C-1 PILOT

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
C-1 PILOT
What settings are best? 1080 and 30 FPS or 1080 and 60 FPS? Right now only shooting in daylight.

60 FPS will always be better, but will take more storage.

What settings are best? 1080 and 30 FPS or 1080 and 60 FPS? Right now only shooting in daylight.
Most likely 1080/30 is going to be a sweet spot for flying. ND filters for the cameras are a must if you ask me when shooting through the prop. If shooting 60 FPS, the footage is going to take up 2x the space on the data card, and a bit more than 2x to write all that data...and drain the battery faster. (Ya gots a fast data card already, right?) If you want to do some slomo stuff, 60 fps will be pretty cool when the playback speed is played with. 30 FPS will look smoother, less staccato, vs 60 (24 even smoofer). Another issue is going to be how much effort your computer will need to chew through the data. Higher FPS will definitely cause the computer to work harder for maybe little return. Might be enough to frustrate one to the point where one might not make videos for PoA'ers to watch. Or, your computer might be good'nuff.

I haven't found the need to shoot much video in greater than 30 FPS. Start there to begin with?
Two similar content videos, subtle differences, preference yours.

This video is shot and edited with 1080/30, ND filters. 8:10 where the cool part starts.

Heres a similar video, but 1080/60, dunno about the ND filters. 7:43 where the cool part starts.

Eric, thank you for the informative explanation and corresponding videos. Question asked and answered. I’m just getting started, having made only one decent video at 1080/30. I’ll stick with that.

Back