BOEING 767F crash near Houston in the bay Atlas cargo

Anything is certainly possible, but the article said they were flying Miami to Houston.
I would bet if it was a loading issue the crash would have been on departure from Miami.
Ah, I missed that part.

Weather looks fine. Will be following this one.

Damn....

This doesn’t look good. Guy who I am teaching recurrent ground to used to fly 767s, he says he thinks it was either a hazmat issue or a structural failure...

Attachments

• 35285EBE-65AF-4268-9CBC-657435274BAE.jpeg
    35285EBE-65AF-4268-9CBC-657435274BAE.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 182

Grab a hazmat book and take your pick. I don’t imagine Prime Air runs a whole lot of hazmat though, and if there was a thermal runaway on a battery fire the crew would have known about it.

This is a weird one for sure.

Two other threads going on this already. I’d imagine there will be a fourth before long.

Sorry, Mods, please merge thread

Based on number of hours and cycles, I'll cast my vote toward structural failure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They were getting vectors around extreme precip. Steve (the 767 guy) says it could have been a microburst but it would have had to be a hellacious nasty one. Plane disintigrated on impact.

Pretty good descent rate on the last 2 radar returns. The FDR will be interesting on this one. Condolences to the families affected.

@DavidWhite you may be right, but after looking at the data that is provided by FlightAware, the aircraft was at FL335 at 25 minutes past the hour. 5 minutes later, it was at FL178. A loss 15,700 feet in five minutes is pretty steep. I guess they *could* have experienced a micro-burst at that altitude, but . . . we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

@DavidWhite you may be right, but after looking at the data that is provided by FlightAware, the aircraft was at FL335 at 25 minutes past the hour. 5 minutes later, it was at FL178. A loss 15,700 feet in five minutes is pretty steep. I guess they *could* have experienced a micro-burst at that altitude, but . . . we'll find out soon enough I suppose.

That’s a little over 3000FPM. We typically descend at idle and 3-4000FPM so I wouldn’t worry about that altitude change.

According to local witnesses (in boats and shore) via a friend, aircraft nose-dived straight down into water. The biggest piece found so far is part of the vert fin with Amazon Logo. Water is 5 to 10 feet deep max. with deep mud below. Not a good day.

Now being reported as an Amazon cargo plane.
Atlas is one of the three airlines that fly for Amazon in the US. ABX Air and Air Transport International are the other two.

Any 3xxx flight number from any of those three airlines is an Amazon flight.

CNN has a picture of the debris field on their page.

These are a couple pics. Very sad.

Attachments

• 1EBDF482-7DF6-4AD0-BE2E-42CA7B933EB0.jpeg
    1EBDF482-7DF6-4AD0-BE2E-42CA7B933EB0.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 35B826BD-EBF3-412A-BD10-BF880BBAEE4D.jpeg
    35B826BD-EBF3-412A-BD10-BF880BBAEE4D.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 214
One of several crashes today. May the RIP

Just speculating here, but based on the descent rate and heading straight for the airport off to the right of the track. Cargo fire? Something serious enough to get down NOW

I live less then 10 miles away on the bay and we had a significant squall line moving through at the time...track is a normal arrival to IAH landing to the west. Sad day...

Definitely a bird strike. Probably a couple of buzzards.

Back