DUI arrest/PTSD diagnosis ( post DUI)

Crazyaviatrix

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
crazyaviatrix
So I have a somewhat different DUI situation. First off, I am an airline pilot and have been flying for work since I left active duty in 2013.Im also a combat veteran that deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. Back in 2017 I was in a motorcycle accident breaking my left leg and tearing my left rotator cuff. Not to long after that I was arrested for DUI for prescription medications. It was dumb on my part, I was running errands and went to a follow-up Dr appointment when I was pulled over for speeding and had my pain meds in the console. I hadn't even considered that is a zero tolerance DUI even though it's a prescription. Also during the arrest I got really anxious and kept asking for a female officer. I'm not a fan of men in uniform with gun and avoid them like the plague. Anyway, the case was dismissed and I was referd to the VA for counseling for ”PTSD”.As of this point I was never officially diagnoed for PTSD so because of the court order I had to apply for VA benefits. Now that I have that all squared away and I'm rated the FAA wants the VA initial evaluation for PTSD and my counseling notes.Anyone have any idea where to find this? The lady in OK city told me its in ebenefits .What exactly am I looking for? Is it on of those questionnaires that you fill out with the question about not sleeping etc and it assigns numbers? I feel like this whole thing happened sort of backwards as I never bothered to apply for VA benefits when I was initially discharged. Anyone have any advice on what to do so I can get my medical back and go back to work? Thanks!

I think you are in for a long haul... hopefully Dr.Bruce can give you the gory details, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be quick, and will certainly cost you a small fortune.

@Crazyaviatrix ... Dr. Bruce Chien of Bolingbrook, IL, is definitely someone you definitely want on your team. If not as the actual AME, then as your hired gun case manager.

The case as you explained it is within his wheelhouse, especially when assisting revenue pilots such as yourself.

He does frequent this forum late in the evenings and hopefully will see this thread. @bbchien

But if you wish to get a jump on things, you can start a private conversation with him through his http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html web page.

Thanks for your service,reach out to Dr. Chien,be sure to be totally honest with him.

Last edited:
Maybe Dr. Troll is the best referral. People holding Class 1 and 2 medicals really go internet surfing for this stuff.

Color me skeptical.

You’re skeptical then... I'm not intent surfing for random ideas. I'm trying to find someone who may have had been in a similar situation in dealing with the VA’s PTSD diagnosis and the FAA and has had to send to send these type docs from the VA to the FAA. I can't send them if I can't find them and all files are electronic. We have union people that help medical stuff but it not always easy to get in touch with them. Getting in touch with the FAA for clarification has been a nightmare since the shutdown. I get hung up on all the time. My AME is great but he only works 2 days a week. I'm trying to get this taken care of and I don't have all day every day to try and get in touch with people.

@Crazyaviatrix ... Dr. Bruce Chien of Bolingbrook, IL, is definitely someone you definitely want on your team. If not as the actual AME, then as your hired gun case manager.

The case as you explained it is within his wheelhouse, especially when assisting revenue pilots such as yourself.

He does frequent this forum late in the evenings and hopefully will see this thread. @bbchien

But if you wish to get a jump on things, you can start a private conversation with him through his http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html web page.

Thank you for the direction. I've been trying to find these docs and specifically what they are comprised of so I send the right ones the first time. I've been trying to get this wrapped up but getting clarification has been difficult. I'll definitely reach out.

....I'm rated the FAA wants the VA initial evaluation for PTSD and my counseling notes.Anyone have any idea where to find this? ...!

You should have received in the mail a package with your rating letter. That package includes your initial rating for PTSD.

It will have a table that about 2 or 3 (or more) pages in that will say “What we decided”.

Below that will be a table or tables with the headings Issue/Contention, Percent (%) Assigned, Effective Date, the 3rd Row will be full width, labeled Explanation.

That’s what you’re looking for for the initial evaluation. As for counseling notes, I could not tell you where to start other than with your counselor and ask for a copy of your records.

ETA: on ebenefits, look under Manage, Documents and Records, VA medical records for any records captured in the VA medical system.

Last edited:
You should have received in the mail a package with your rating letter. That package includes your initial rating for PTSD.

It will have a table that about 2 or 3 (or more) pages in that will say “What we decided”.

Below that will be a table or tables with the headings Issue/Contention, Percent (%) Assigned, Effective Date, the 3rd Row will be full width, labeled Explanation.

That’s what you’re looking for for the initial evaluation. As for counseling notes, I could not tell you where to start other than with your counselor and ask for a copy of your records.

ETA: on ebenefits, look under Manage, Documents and Records, VA medical records for any records captured in the VA medical system.

Thanks! I have the ratings table but I have to send in the initial evaluation specific to PTSD. It's my understanding they are looking specifically for GAF and PCL scores as well as the results to the questionnaire I had to fill out. Both my AME and the lady I spoke with at the FAA explained that the VA and FAA use the same diagnosis criteria for PTSD so that's why they are requesting to see those docs specifically. I was able to find some of my counseling notes under the BLUE BUTTON docs but I can't locate the initial comp and pen eval they did when I filed for benefits. I've check claims history under disabilities and the system says there are no docs to verify. I have a buddy who was in The squadron with me who went through a similar situation except he was still on active duty when he got his PTSD diagnosis. He told me what he sent in but I can seem to find something close to what he described in ebenefits. Of course he had the benefit of going to medical records on base versus dealing with the faceless monster that the VA is.

Thanks! I have the ratings table but I have to send in the initial evaluation specific to PTSD. ... Of course he had the benefit of going to medical records on base versus dealing with the faceless monster that the VA is.
You need to go back to who did your C&P exam, explain what you need and find out what their process is to get what you need. If it was done by a contractor, it was probably QTC, but if not a little google can find who does those in your area.

This may require a F2F visit to that facility.

Maybe Dr. Troll is the best referral. People holding Class 1 and 2 medicals really go internet surfing for this stuff.

Color me skeptical.

She's really put a lot of effort into making the troll look authentic.

Or perhaps you spoke a bit too soon.

:rolleyes:

Color me skeptical.
I'm skeptical of people's ability to identify trolls, especially when it's based on a single post.

One thing that I find interesting is that being a troll/catfisher may indicate that one has a personality defect that is possibly inconsistent with flight safety.

Since most airline pilots are represented by alpa and every alpa member knows alpa has a fantastic aero medical dept that where you start.

Since most airline pilots are represented by alpa and every alpa member knows alpa has a fantastic aero medical dept that where you start.

Unless she's one of the 30,000 or so pilots who work for UPS, FedEx, Southwest, American . . .

Unless she's one of the 30,000 or so pilots who work for UPS, FedEx, Southwest, American . . .
fed ex is alpa, apa at american has an aeromedical division, i dont know about ipa (ups) or swapa over at southwest but i believe they also have a program. when your medical on the line and you depend on it to eat, you go to your union first, not an internet group that is not even geared toward professional pilots. sorry dont buy it.

fed ex is alpa, apa at american has an aeromedical division, i dont know about ipa (ups) or swapa over at southwest but i believe they also have a program. when your medical on the line and you depend on it to eat, you go to your union first, not an internet group that is not even geared toward professional pilots. sorry dont buy it.

Just busting your chops about the ALPA love, wasn't sure about FedEx. No doubt union (and even company) aeromedical staff are a good start, AMAS could help as well. But I personally am thankful for an internet group that is not even geared toward professional pilots for helping to find the ultimate solution to an SI free 1st class, when those other options could not solve the problem. Even got some good RV cross country time out of it! So feel free to bust my chops on the POA love. :p

Trust me there is no love of alpa. I was an lec chair for a while. They have their problems. As does my current union. But alpas medical section is top notch. Got my medical issues taken care of quick, for the faa quick. My real point was I think it’a bit of a troll, that’s to big of an issue to deal with on the internet.there are some great laughs here but for medical issues really only a couple of people’s options matter, starting with doc Bruce and dr lou

It seems reasonable to me that an ATP might seek answers to an important personal issue anonymously. Just because she stopped in here doesn't indicate an effort to evade interaction with her employer's aeromedical office or make her a troll.

The help she asked for to find highly specific information on a personal medical document stored online made it obvious to me she was genuine. Why would someone make that up, and how would they even know the documents she referenced exist and what they contain?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back