Out of state police officer?

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I was on the highway this afternoon and I passed by a Sheriff that was out of Mississippi. I don’t recall which county or department it was from, but it wasn’t a state trooper, just a regular ol’ Sheriff’s deputy. As I passed by him, I looked over and he gave me ‘the eye’, almost like he knew I was trouble or something (okay, he didn’t actually do that!)

Any idea what they might’ve been doing traveling through Southeastern Tennessee? I thought it was odd to see an out of state Sheriff, especially one from Mississippi (200+ miles from here).

Could have just been transporting a perp

Going home ? transporting prisoners?

Could have just been transporting a perp
To here? I figured if they did that, they’d atleast haul them in the patty wagon or something, not just a patrol car.

To there, or from somewhere else. Who knows?

Why not just use a patrol car?

Conference, training, picking up someone extradited, or???

To there, or from somewhere else. Who knows?

Why not just use a patrol car?
I dunno, I just thought it was unusual. I’ve never seen an out of state trooper from that far around here before.

To here? I figured if they did that, they’d atleast haul them in the patty wagon or something, not just a patrol car.

Not always. I was asked to fly a local sheriff down to Florida to pick someone up once. I passed on the deal because I don’t have a 135 certificate, making the situation questionably legal at best.

They were likely there doing some kind of work, even if it didn’t look like it.

Used to get that a lot in Jacksonville. I think there was some sort of training facility in the area and they would drive there patrol cars down.

The only issue I ever had was when Clemson was in the Gator Bowl. The South Carolina troopers came down with them. They would block traffic so the Clemson buses could go through intersections unimpeded. It ****ed me off and caused a bit of a stink locally. As far as I'm concerned, those guys became regular citizens as soon as they crossed into Georgia and had no right to block traffic. Not sure whatever happened with that.

Funeral maybe?

Always thought funerals are weird in this respect. If an officer on the payroll (i.e. not retired or fired) dies off duty, every county in the state sends a car. If an officer on duty dies, every county within 3 states sends a car. Dude is just as dead either way. Shrug.

A friend of mine a Texas DPS State Troopers Stationed in the Texas Panhandle would drive thru Oklahoma to eat at a steak house in Kansas because that was nearest steak house some 40 miles away.

Funeral maybe?

Always thought funerals are weird in this respect. If an officer on the payroll (i.e. not retired or fired) dies off duty, every county in the state sends a car. If an officer on duty dies, every county within 3 states sends a car. Dude is just as dead either way. Shrug.

A bunch of years ago a friend from my reserve unit, that was a fire fighter, died in the line of duty along with another firefighter. We went to the funeral as an honor guard for him. It seemed that every single police and fire department in the state had a vehicle there. The public procession was quite impressive. The private service was not quite the spectacle.

I was on the highway this afternoon and I passed by a Sheriff that was out of Mississippi. I don’t recall which county or department it was from, but it wasn’t a state trooper, just a regular ol’ Sheriff’s deputy. As I passed by him, I looked over and he gave me ‘the eye’, almost like he knew I was trouble or something (okay, he didn’t actually do that!)

Any idea what they might’ve been doing traveling through Southeastern Tennessee? I thought it was odd to see an out of state Sheriff, especially one from Mississippi (200+ miles from here).
The guy just needed some good BBQ. and went to get it.

For a previous job, I parked in a parking garage for a hotel. Every year they hosted a convention for police officers. There would be police cars in the parking garage from various states.

I am Sheriff Buford T. Justice of Texas. I am in high speed pursuit. Don't you hear good?

I do, but the fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.

The ****** Germans got nothing to do with it.

There was a gathering of some sort in Gatlinburg last week. I saw buses there with sheriff emblems from states as far as Florida.

You are the target of a multi state surveillance AGAIN?

Before I retired, I sometimes transported extradited prisoners back from other states. I also attended training in other states. Back in the day, this was often done in a marked patrol car.

Pursuing a lead in an investigation? Perhaps going to interview someone?
Or perhaps he works in a jurisdiction that allows him to use his vehicle for personal use.

As an MSHP recruiter I travel out of state frequently to colleges and military bases looking for good candidates. BTW I only wear my hat when out of the car.

Last edited:
They umoften take department cars when going to training or conferences.

There was a gathering of some sort in Gatlinburg last week. I saw buses there with sheriff emblems from states as far as Florida.
Ah, that would explain it.

The guy just needed some good BBQ. and went to get it.

Well hell, Tom, he was lost.

Texas is way south, and west, of Tennessee.

I work fairly close to Cal OES. There is a constant flood of cops and firefighters filtering in there from all over California and most western states. The place is seminar city.

Used to get that a lot in Jacksonville. I think there was some sort of training facility in the area and they would drive there patrol cars down.

There is a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center right up the road in Brunswick, Ga. When I flew for the regionals, we would fly there with a plane load of armed LEOs for a week of training. A week later we would pick them up to go home.

Noah W

Back