Very happy with these results....

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Instrument Ground Instructor and Flight Instructor - Instrument.....

DONE!

fullsizeoutput_156.jpeg fullsizeoutput_154.jpeg

Used Sheppard Air and their study strategy. About 40-ish hours of study combined. And even though this is rote memorization, I still picked up a few good and needed items. And was reminded of the details for some others.

Observations:
  • About 85% of the questions are the same between the two question banks.
  • Helicopter questions do appear. They pertain to IFR fuel minimums, and "if you are only IFR Rated in one (fixed or rotary), can you fly IFR in the other. Maybe 8 total questions.
  • Sheppard Air's "Read the Explanation" call outs are on point. 3 of the questions I had were of this type. Remembering the details in the explanation and choosing the correct answers is what got me the big score on the IGI.
  • I suck at the test questions that involve an HSI (because I don't fly with one). So I had spent extra time and effort memorizing the details of these question. Then I don't get a single one on either of my exams.
  • Pro Tip... make sure to read the question entirely before jumping to the answer. Same with reviewing the figure in the test supplement you're told to look at. I caught a wrong answer that at first I just read half the question and "knew" the answer. But during my review pass, I looked again and caught the mistake.

If anyone is on the West side of DFW and is looking for a testing center, I cannot say enough of the place I was at today: Pro Test located in the administration building of KTFW. I didn't need an appointment, just walked in. The owner of the test center is your proctor and very friendly. Just let him know what you are there for, present your credentials to take the exam, and he will get you setup and ready for success.

Last edited:
Something I'm wondering about now.... Since obtaining the ATP is in my no so distant future.... when should I get busy studying for that written?

Congratulations! FYI, I'm still looking for a CFI to finish my IFR. If you decide to move to Iowa, look me up!!!

Congrats,good luck on the ATP,it’s never to soon,serves as a good refresher of info,you have studied before.

Congratulations! FYI, I'm still looking for a CFI to finish my IFR. If you decide to move to Iowa, look me up!!!
Depending on how far along you are, and you want this done in the very near future, I'd suggest seeing what @SbestCFII's and @jesse's availability is. Also not far from you is @ja_user.

But if you haven't done anything by the time I do have the double eye, then we might see what can be done.

Congrats Mike, I might need to hire you instead of going to a school. Good luck on the ATP

I might need to hire you instead of going to a school.
We can definitely talk about that. Send me your contact info via private message (click my name, then "start a conversation") and we can begin to find out where I can help you.

More competition for me. I'm going to have to lower my rates.

Congratulations Mike!

Thanks.... did you get my text message from earlier today?

Not sure yet.
I've been working about 80 hours a week because Microsoft NAV sucks worse than anything that has ever sucked.
I'm behind on any sort of communications with anyone. Phone is in a drawer around here somewhere.

will check shortly.

Something I'm wondering about now.... Since obtaining the ATP is in my no so distant future.... when should I get busy studying for that written?
Two days before you take it. Its not bad at all. They say it shouldnt take you more than 20hrs. Run through the 1300 questions twice and your good

Take the 135 ATP written instead of the 121 written unless you want to fly for an airline. The 121 test concentrates on flying for the airlines and rules, regs and performance of the big jets. 135 test concentrates on the rules regs and performance of smaller 135 aircraft. Don't think the 135 is as involved as the 121 and is easier to fathom what they are asking. The end result is the same. Your certificate will simply say...Airline Transport Pilot.

Noah W

Take the 135 ATP written instead of the 121 written unless you want to fly for an airline. The 121 test concentrates on flying for the airlines and rules, regs and performance of the big jets. 135 test concentrates on the rules regs and performance of smaller 135 aircraft. Don't think the 135 is as involved as the 121 and is easier to fathom what they are asking. The end result is the same. Your certificate will simply say...Airline Transport Pilot.

Noah W
Thanks for this info.... I wasn't aware the ATP came in different "flavors"

Two days before you take it. Its not bad at all. They say it shouldnt take you more than 20hrs. Run through the 1300 questions twice and your good
It’s more than 2 days of material. Even with Sheppard Air, it’s more like two weeks 2-4 hrs a day.

It’s more than 2 days of material. Even with Sheppard Air, it’s more like two weeks 2-4 hrs a day.
The nice lady who answered and took my order said about 20 if you do it their way. I did the lazy way and got 93 cause i just guessed on anything i had to calculate. Its an easy test compared to instrument i thought.

20hours is about what I found. but when you bundle them the next ones go a LOT quicker.

Thanks for this info.... I wasn't aware the ATP came in different "flavors"

They did when I took it many years ago. Not sure it is that way any more. The helicopter ATP written is only one version.

I was told the same thing: "Take the 135 written..." That was terrible advice! It was much more difficult than the 121 version. I took the dispatcher written to practice for the Airplane ATP and it was mostly weight and balance and flight planning stuff. Much easier!

Back