Running engine for a short time

Nope

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Do you need a license or endorsement to taxi a airplane onto the movement area of a controlled airport? At first I would think you would, but then again what if a mechanic needs to taxi a plane from one part of an airport to another and enter the movement area to do so.

Do you need a license or endorsement to taxi a airplane onto the movement area of a controlled airport? At first I would think you would, but then again what if a mechanic needs to taxi a plane from one part of an airport to another and enter the movement area to do so.
I asked these same questions when I purchased my plane for training. My CFII was also an IA and actually explained and showed me in FAR/AIM. As for FAA, doesn't care. Insurance Companies may ask questions and care if damage occurs.

Not 100% about controlled areas. I was at a small airport so we didn't speak of that.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Do you need a license or endorsement to taxi a airplane onto the movement area of a controlled airport?
FYI: this is determined by the airport policies. They determine and control the aircraft movement area. In some airports, as a mechanic, I can taxi aircraft anywhere to include the active runway with the appropriate ATC clearances. Others I can't. I can also drive a vehicle around in some with the correct authorization, ATC clearance, if needed, and required equipment. So it depends on the airport not your certificate or lack thereof.

FYI: this is determined by the airport policies. They determine and control the aircraft movement area. In some airports, as a mechanic, I can taxi aircraft anywhere to include the active runway with the appropriate ATC clearances. Others I can't. I can also drive a vehicle around in some with the correct authorization, ATC clearance, if needed, and required equipment. So it depends on the airport not your certificate or lack thereof.

Do you have a FAR for that?

Does your plane have rudder pedals? Or steer on the ground strictly with yoke?

Just to be pedantic, since this IS PoA. I'd say it causes the most "wear" instead of "damage".

Are you a pedant, or can you actually “be pedantic”? Is pedantic only an adjective? (Look man, you started it, not me; Even though I may be wrong, I can’t help myself.)

-Pedantic pedant

The fact that there's no intended flight backs his point of no certificate required. Since there's no federal prohibition (nor explicit allowance), we're left looking at lower jurisdictions.

Since there are thousands of airports and airport authorities that could create such rules, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume some airport somewhere has a local prohibition on non-authorized taxi operations, however they so choose to define authorized. The only prohibition at my base is no (non ops) motor vehicles other than aircraft on the runway or inner taxiways.

If nothing else, AC 150/5210-20A, seems to allow for such local rules:

The airport’s rules and regulations for vehicle operations should provide adequate procedures for the safe and orderly operation of vehicles and aircraft that are taxied or towed by anyone on the movement and safety areas of the airport.

It then goes on to offer some suggestions and topics for consideration.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5210-20A.pdf

Part 139 for airports serving Air Carrier ops or are required to be certified. The policy would be in their Airport Certification Manual. In some circumstances, if a GA airport receives FAA funding they are sometimes required to follow these same rules.

Here are a couple google examples.

upload_2019-2-22_13-44-49.png
upload_2019-2-22_13-44-8.png

Last edited:
+1

I have wondered where in the FAR's it says this is possible.....or.....is it a case where there is no specific exclusions in the FAR's so its up to any other entity to regulate it and if not, then anyone can do it?

The fact that there's no intended flight backs his point of no certificate required. Since there's no federal prohibition (nor explicit allowance), we're left looking at lower jurisdictions.

Since there are thousands of airports and airport authorities that could create such rules, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume some airport somewhere has a local prohibition on non-authorized taxi operations, however they so choose to define authorized. The only prohibition at my base is no (non ops) motor vehicles other than aircraft on the runway or inner taxiways.

If nothing else, AC 150/5210-20A, seems to allow for such local rules:

It then goes on to offer some suggestions and topics for consideration.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5210-20A.pdf

If the FAR doesn’t say you can’t, that means you can.
I stopped asking for permission to do things I rightfully can do as I outgrew childhood.

Also lots of APs who are non pilots who taxi and do run ups.

If the FAR doesn’t say you can’t, that means you can.
I stopped asking for permission to do things I rightfully can do as I outgrew childhood.

Also lots of APs who are non pilots who taxi and do run ups.
I agree with you. The law doesn't say no, so it's not illegal, thus it's legal. I'm just saying that there *could* be local rules/law/ordinance to that effect. Local rules can add additional burden beyond the law as well, since it's not illegal for them to add local rules. That being said, I've never been made aware of any such idiotic local rules.

There's no reason not to let somebody competent/qualified taxi an airplane, insurance permitting. It's not rocket surgery.

I agree with you. The law doesn't say no, so it's not illegal, thus it's legal. I'm just saying that there *could* be local rules/law/ordinance to that effect. Local rules can add additional burden beyond the law as well, since it's not illegal for them to add local rules. That being said, I've never been made aware of any such idiotic local rules.

There's no reason not to let somebody competent/qualified taxi an airplane, insurance permitting. It's not rocket surgery.

Indeed.

Aviation is run by the FARs, now shy of a private field where someone built it with their own money in which case I’ll honor their rules, aside from that I’ll follow the FARs and beyond that, their move.

Back