Idea for Bendix King - KLN94 slide-in replacement

Aviator305

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Juan
@Steve P

This is an idea for Steve who works for BK and started a thread a while back stating that they want to attempt to make a comeback.

I inherited a KLN94 during my airplane purchase. The truth is that I really like this GPS. Knowing me, I would have picked it over the 430 back in the late 90’s because the user interface is much more efficient to me. However, here we are in 2019. I gave you guys a chance during Sun n’ Fun 2018, and the people showing off the KSN 770 could barely answer my questions such as, “if I load a T-route assigned to go to the IAF, how do I scroll to the IF or FAF if I am cleared direct to either of those or VTF?” Looking more at the reputation of this unit, it does not really inspire any confidence.

So, here is my idea for BK. If you want to keep your current users, make a WAAS version of the KLN-94. Maybe even skip on the touch screen to save on costs, but let it interface with electronic flight bags so that we can upload a flight plan. I really hope you guys can make a comeback.

Great thinking have one in 182
Thanks. I hope that they make one. I am of the opinion that the KLN-94 was underrated even in its prime. When I trained for my IFR rating, I flew with two different CFI's that had experience with the -94 on one of their trainers. They were completely unaware that you could pull out the right inner knob to quickly scroll through waypoints on the map view, and they were unfamiliar with other nifty nuances. Everyone that is used to the 430 tells me how much better it is, and then they fly with me when I show them how quickly I can load an approach and scroll through things almost without looking - mostly tactile - and they all have an "oh, I didn't know you could do that type of response." Anyhow, this is not to get into a discussion about what's better. I just feel that there is a market out there for BK to capitalize on.

Yeah, the KSN 770 is a steaming pile IMO, and I was really surprised that they hadn't considered how to retrofit all of the planes that have an 89B or 94 with a pair of KX155s underneath. Y'know, like mine used to be.

It would have been very smart to have the KSN be a slide-in replacement in those instances, but they didn't do it. I'm not sure it would make any sense now, since so many of those planes have already gone Garmin.

I had an 89B (which the 94 was the slide-in replacement for it) in the Warrior and also used the -900 at work (the military face plate version of the 90B). All had the same UI logic across the KLN family, and I really didn't mind it at all. I actually found the approach loading and activation capes of the KLNs superior and less user labor intensive than the garmin counters. The -94 improved the usability of the moving map, and otherwise would have made an excellent candidate for a WAAS.

Like the OP, I too long for a true affordable alternative to the current baseline of GPS offerings, which only offers either touch screen WAAS or "go away peasant, you don't belong in the hobby". I'm also generally a fan of navigator-only installations, as they save big money on labor. They would also save money on the hardware, but OEMs jack up their prices in order to not cannibalize their flagship (GPS/NAV/COM units) sales.

@Steve P

This is an idea for Steve who works for BK and started a thread a while back stating that they want to attempt to make a comeback.

I inherited a KLN94 during my airplane purchase. The truth is that I really like this GPS. Knowing me, I would have picked it over the 430 back in the late 90’s because the user interface is much more efficient to me. However, here we are in 2019. I gave you guys a chance during Sun n’ Fun 2018, and the people showing off the KSN 770 could barely answer my questions such as, “if I load a T-route assigned to go to the IAF, how do I scroll to the IF or FAF if I am cleared direct to either of those or VTF?” Looking more at the reputation of this unit, it does not really inspire any confidence.

So, here is my idea for BK. If you want to keep your current users, make a WAAS version of the KLN-94. Maybe even skip on the touch screen to save on costs, but let it interface with electronic flight bags so that we can upload a flight plan. I really hope you guys can make a comeback.

I 100% agree that a WAAS option for the 94 or a slide-in replacement would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I'm low enough on the totem pole that I don't hear about the new products, until they are close to being announced. I know this topic has been discussed, but I have no idea where we would be at in terms of developing anything, if we are.

I don't think your question is a failure of the KSN, but a failure of the person demoing the unit. That being said the KSN is very much like a commercial FMS (thanks Honeywell), so if you've flown professionally it has a shorter learning curve.

There are still a number of the the 94's out there even though Garmin has definitely dominated with the 430 and 430W.

Cheers,

Steve

I too would love to see a slide in replacement for the 89/90/94 with WAAS capability. Touch screens suck while flying so don't waste the money. Those old gps are so easy to use and straight forward.

I 100% agree that a WAAS option for the 94 or a slide-in replacement would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I'm low enough on the totem pole that I don't hear about the new products, until they are close to being announced. I know this topic has been discussed, but I have no idea where we would be at in terms of developing anything, if we are.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. If you can't get the higher-ups to listen to the idea, then I for one don't know who can. How do they know what customers want? The path here seems reasonable: upgrade path to existing users --> do not invest in touch screen = reduced cost to manufacture = > more profit to BK and/or less cost to customer. Cheaper price and no installation cost would be attractive.

I don't think your question is a failure of the KSN, but a failure of the person demoing the unit. That being said the KSN is very much like a commercial FMS (thanks Honeywell), so if you've flown professionally it has a shorter learning curve.

Then someone from BK has to make sure that the people demoing the units are proficient. Otherwise, people like me are going to the wrong idea. Either you're in it to win it, or don't show up.

Best to you, Steve. Thanks again for listening.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. If you can't get the higher-ups to listen to the idea, then I for one don't know who can. How do they know what customers want? The path here seems reasonable: upgrade path to existing users --> do not invest in touch screen = reduced cost to manufacture = > more profit to BK and/or less cost to customer. Cheaper price and no installation cost would be attractive.

I don't think a touch screen has much to do with cost. In fact, I would imagine that at this point, a capacitive touch screen is likely cheaper than anything with mechanical buttons and knobs, and certainly more robust and easier to maintain.

The real problem is the cost of certification.

Back