Aircraft insurance is not logical.

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I've decided to put my soaring business on hold this year. For the last two years my wife & I have busted our rears every warm weekend at the airport running the business. We decided we need a break.

I changed my 182 insurance for personal use only. Full coverage with high liability limits & hull coverage was only $470.00 for the year. Not bad.

To keep my two-place glider in it's locked trailer with non-flight, full hull coverage is $1,300.00 per year! When I questioned the agent he stated that gliders were fragile & they have a lot of expensive claims with the gliders damaged while stored in their trailers.

Something seems out of balance to me.

I've decided to put my soaring business on hold this year. For the last two years my wife & I have busted our rears every warm weekend at the airport running the business. We decided we need a break.

I changed my 182 insurance for personal use only. Full coverage with high liability limits & hull coverage was only $470.00 for the year. Not bad.

To keep my two-place glider in it's locked trailer with non-flight, full hull coverage is $1,300.00 per year! When I questioned the agent he stated that gliders were fragile & they have a lot of expensive claims with the gliders damaged while stored in their trailers.

It's all about population versus payouts, all insurance is that way to a degree. Of course when I moved into town to be closer to work, my insurance went up because town is much more dangerous than a rural area. And then when I moved ten miles out of town, my insurance went up again because I was commuting so many more miles a week. We're just paying a bookie to place a bet that something bad is going to happen to us, they make up the odds.

My guess is wind blows trailers over and people steal the gliders in trailers.

To keep my two-place glider in it's locked trailer with non-flight, full hull coverage is $1,300.00 per year!

The key word is "trailer".

Everyone knows that tornadoes seek out trailers. Tell them that you are parking the glider on the ground about a 100 yards from the trailer and they will cut your glider insurance, but raise your trailer insurance.

Back