A Potato Salad thread

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
We wore out the coleslaw. So, what are people's opinions on potato salad and favorite style/flavor? And is potato salad really salad?

I like a sweet potato salad. Locally here it is Southern style from Kroger or Amish style from Meijer.

Is that potato salad with a sweet dressing or salad made from sweet pototoes?

I'm more happy with a "german" potato salad. More vinegar and less goo preferably. Mayonaise is the white death.

Is that potato salad with a sweet dressing or salad made from sweet pototoes?

I'm more happy with a "german" potato salad. More vinegar and less goo preferably. Mayonaise is the white death.
Potatoes with sweet dressing. Did not think about the difference. Not a fan of sweet potatoes.

Potato Salad, Tuna Salad and Deviled Eggs are acceptable uses for mayo. Just keep that stuff off my sandwich.

For Potato Salad
1) Not a salad
2) Good with BBQ and baked beans

Recent change in my thinking - I was in Frankfurt in Nov and had German potato salad. It was served cold. It was pretty okay. It's always been served to me warm or hot here in the US. -Icky

It’s REALLY hard to find a good store bought potato salad. I seem to recall Costco’s house brand ‘Kirkland’ having a decent one though. Too much mayonnaise ruins it.

I grew up with mayo and mustard potato salad. Most I've ever eaten I have liked. But the best I've ever had is the smoked potato salad at Brew 'n Que in Cary, NC. They fry the potatoes in the fat rendered from smoking their pork.

Potato salad shall be yellow from the mustard and shall be firm. and not be similar to lumpy mashed potatoes.

And the skin shall be left on.

:popcorn:

I grew up with mayo and mustard potato salad. Most I've ever eaten I have liked. But the best I've ever had is the smoked potato salad at Brew 'n Que in Cary, NC. They fry the potatoes in the fat rendered from smoking their pork.

Pork BBQ? That's like putting Mayo on a sandwich.

It’s REALLY hard to find a good store bought potato salad
Never, Ever do I buy store bought potato salad.

Potato salad shall be yellow from the mustard and shall be firm. and not be similar to lumpy mashed potatoes.

And the skin shall be left on.

:popcorn:
Skin lift on when you cook it, then gently removed before adding yellow mustard and mayo..:)

"I got thrown out of bar in New York City..."

Potato salad. I like it with Miracle Whip & mustard as a base. Then it needs lots of hard-boiled eggs in it & sliced on top. Lots of onion is important too especially Walla Walla Sweet onions!

"Back when I used to eat potato salad..."

Gotta have some texture, celery, chopped egg and mustard. Although I generally like potato skins, I'm not partial to them being in a potato salad. Although, when it is made, and I don't make it, it is generally mashed potatoes with mustard and a couple other things thrown in. I suppose that is better than hard, undercooked potato chunks.

But that is all moot. Cole slaw is my potato salad.

Actually the only way I will subject the carb torment of a potato to my body is to endure it in the form of a baked potato. With loads of butter, sour cream and chives. And bacon. Lots of bacon.

Potato salad should be simple. Potatoes, celery, onions, eggs, mayo and a little mustard.

If you are low or no carb make it with cauliflower instead of potatoes. Add an extra egg or two to get the more creamy starchy feel that the potatoes give.

Miracle whip in potato salad or anything that makes it sweet is a criminal offense.

who the frick thought of putting EGGS in potato salad. or even regular salad. that's just weird AF.

who the frick thought of putting EGGS in potato salad. or even regular salad. that's just weird AF.
X87ww3a.jpg

Bag of small red potatoes cooked
Onion raw
Celery raw
Bell pepper raw
Big bottle of ranch dressing
Full bag of shredded sharp Chedder
Salt and pepper
Mix up and refrigerate
It’s pretty awesome :)

It may be weird to some, but it's darn good!

I'm not even disputing whether they are good or not. I'm wondering who was the first person who said "I'm making potato salad. and you know what's missing? EGGS, dammit!"

I'm not even disputing whether they are good or not. I'm wondering who was the first person who said "I'm making potato salad. and you know what's missing? EGGS, dammit!"
I have asked that same question several times over the years about different foods. For example, capers, who decided way back when that they should take a flower blossom, pickle it, and that it would add a deliciously strong flavor to some dishes? Who decided caviar was a good idea? I've never had caviar by the way.

I have asked that same question several times over the years about different foods. For example, capers, who decided way back when that they should take a flower blossom, pickle it, and that it would add a deliciously strong flavor to some dishes? Who decided caviar was a good idea? I've never had caviar by the way.
Hmm, this might make for a good thread.

“What weird food combinations do you enjoy eating?”

Very seldom have I encountered a potato salad I didn't like. I like the tart ones slightly more than sweet ones. All store bought for me. I wouldn't begin to know how to make one.

Store bought is nasty. Home made is very simple and allows you to highlight what you like and eliminate what you don't.

For the guys who think eggs in potato salad is weird? Mayo is eggs and oil.

If you are low or no carb make it with cauliflower instead of potatoes. Add an extra egg or two to get the more creamy starchy feel that the potatoes give.

I'm as low carb as they come, and that sounds nasty even to me.

Back