Spinner ideas

PaulMKE

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PaulMKE
Alright everyone, here’s a challenge for you.

I bought a spinner cheap on eBay with the idea to make “something “ out of it, but I’m stumped what to make. See picture.
Appears to be off a King Air or similar. It’s largish, 18” tall and 12.5” diameter.

Any creative ideas on what to do with it?

I make furniture so wood or steel work is no issue. Currently thinking to stuff an light into the inside top and have it as a display piece.

Also any ideas on how to clean it would be appreciated...

Attachments

• 2B82E72F-83C7-4ADE-8934-407AD5E5197F.jpeg
    2B82E72F-83C7-4ADE-8934-407AD5E5197F.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 65
I'll watch this thread. Lisa kept the composite spinner from my RV when it developed a need for a new prop and I went 3-blade.

She hasn't been inspired to do anything with it yet.

Get three more and make a glass table.

Or if you have high ceilings make a ceiling fan out of it.

As far as cleaning that you could put it on a propeller start the engine get some buffing compound....

Polish it with this. Use lots of elbow grease.

a76ddf30-c664-458b-98a4-4e5011c70dfe.jpg

Put the spinner on a three-blade ceiling fan, as EdFred proposed.

Ok so it’s all shiny and purty now. I cut a round base, screwed the spinner to it, ran a bolt through the center of the base and attached an old drill. Voila, the spinner spins (alarmingly fast). A little sandpaper and the metal polish above and it sparkles!

The massive cocktail idea is tempting- I think we need to develop a drink called 100LL - but I was thinking some sort of furniture. A table is also good but for some reason I’ve not been able to locate 2 more of the same height.

Putting on a ceiling fan is a capital idea!

throw some lettuce and croutons in there. then you'd have a...……...wait for it...…………………………...salad spinner...………………………...salad...………………. s p i n n e r ……………….

throw some lettuce and croutons in there. then you'd have a...……...wait for it...…………………………...salad spinner...………………………...salad...………………. s p i n n e r ……………….

Ok, that actually made me chuckle. @eman1200 get honorable mention on the internet today. (I really can't say "wins the internet". Sorry.)

Will be curious to see what you come up with.. I'm always tempted to buy cheap old aircraft odds and ends from eBay but never quite sure what I'd actually do with it. My ideas for the spinner would be:

1.) craft a table with it
2.) make a large lamp out of it
3.) finish the inside with epoxy and make a snack bowl out of it
4.) depending on how big it actually is, I like the martini / goblet idea
5.) very dorky - but this could make a cool housing for your own computer.. I had a friend who built computers out of interesting things like this

The helmet was what I was going to suggest. Years ago I had a lot of friends in the Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia. Back in the day (when people still smoked everywhere), the halls at the University of MD (especially near the elevators) had these hanging ashtrays with a conical base to them (pretty much the same as a spinner). More than a few seemed to disappear to be used to fashion battle helmets.

upload_2019-2-22_11-5-10.jpeg You could grow your own...... herbs?

The helmet was what I was going to suggest. Years ago I had a lot of friends in the Markland Medieval Mercenary Militia. Back in the day (when people still smoked everywhere), the halls at the University of MD (especially near the elevators) had these hanging ashtrays with a conical base to them (pretty much the same as a spinner). More than a few seemed to disappear to be used to fashion battle helmets.

A King Air spinner is much too big for a helmet.

As tempting as a helmet might be, it is indeed way too big, it would sit on my shoulders (I tried for you guys).

Here it is polished up with an LED light stuck inside, thinking maybe as a corner accent piece. I thought possibly to get one of those LIFX or Philips WiFi color changing lights and put inside at the top, with a nice cherry or oak base.

A side table is also a workable idea, but as I only have one spinner, stability is the concern. I'm thinking possibly a clear polycarbonate tube, maybe 4-6"diameter, tapered cut, attached (glued?) to the nose of the spinner, with a 12" round glass top attached on the tube. This would give some flexibility to get the right table height, however the tube-spinner adhesive would be critical to performance.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.JPG
    IMG_7038.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 37
As tempting as a helmet might be, it is indeed way too big, it would sit on my shoulders (I tried for you guys).

Here it is polished up with an LED light stuck inside, thinking maybe as a corner accent piece. I thought possibly to get one of those LIFX or Philips WiFi color changing lights and put inside at the top, with a nice cherry or oak base.

A side table is also a workable idea, but as I only have one spinner, stability is the concern. I'm thinking possibly a clear polycarbonate tube, maybe 4-6"diameter, tapered cut, attached (glued?) to the nose of the spinner, with a 12" round glass top attached on the tube. This would give some flexibility to get the right table height, however the tube-spinner adhesive would be critical to performance.

I like the light idea but what if you did something like this with it and put the light inside? If you hang it you can connect the pieces with rings or ??? Maybe a threaded rod through the middle???nose cone.JPG

Or something like this where you cut the top off, flip it over and weld it back on. That would make a cool ice bucket, candy dish, whatever.

Attachments

• nose cone 2.JPG
    nose cone 2.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
Put it pointing up in your yard. Build something that resembles an open silo door around it. Maybe occasionally drop a piece of dry ice next to it for smoke.

invert the spinner, make a wooden cradle, and use it to hold a container of mixed drink made from Bombay Sapphire Gin (looks like 100LL avgas)
Bombay Sapphire is clear, like most gins. Maybe some blue curacao?

Will be curious to see what you come up with.. I'm always tempted to buy cheap old aircraft odds and ends from eBay but never quite sure what I'd actually do with it. My ideas for the spinner would be:

1.) craft a table with it
2.) make a large lamp out of it
3.) finish the inside with epoxy and make a snack bowl out of it
4.) depending on how big it actually is, I like the martini / goblet idea
5.) very dorky - but this could make a cool housing for your own computer.. I had a friend who built computers out of interesting things like this

If you go with the computer housing idea ... which I like by the way ... it would be mandatory to rig an ignition start switch to turn on the computer. I once had a computer that I junked together from odds and ends. Wasn’t in a case. To turn it on I used a screwdriver to bridge the power pins. I really wanted to hook it to one of those Staples “that was easy” buttons, but never got around to it.

Cut eye holes in it and make it a full face helmet.

https://www.ebay.com/p/14th-Century...rcy-Carbon-Steel/15013088980?iid=123641072447

Back