Install time and difficulty CGR-30 COMBO

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
My Super Viking is getting 3 cylinders overhauled and I have figure a engine monitor should go with it.
The CGR-30 combo is the way to go with the panel space.
What is a reasonable install time for a shop (CGR-30P and CGR-30C, with hook up to 430W and removal of tach and MP GAUGE)
What is a reasonable install time to do it myself and how difficult is it?

When I had a CGR-30 (the P only, not the C) installed in the 206 it was about 25 hours or so - never saw the bill, it's a company airplane. There was a fuel flow already tied to the 430W so they didn't need to mess with that side of things. If you have to do that part from scratch it can take a while depending on the access behind your panel. The actual install of the instrument and wiring isn't very difficult but the routing of the wiring and making it neat can also take some time - again depending on the access a Super Viking has.

I've probably got 40 hours in it, I bundled and sleeved the entire harness, made brackets to hold the EDC and MP sensor, replaced the fuel hoses with new (this airplane never had a fuel flow) made all new 8 gauge bus cables that connect the ammeter, replaced valve cover screws with longer engine bolts and spacers to add adel clamps to hold the harness near the cylinders.

If you wanted the fuel quantity system in it that's a whole mass of potential traps to mess with as digital equipment do not work well with existing junk fuel level transmitters.

If you wanted the fuel quantity system in it that's a whole mass of potential traps to mess with as digital equipment do not work well with existing junk fuel level transmitters.
Thanks for the info.
I understand the CGR can hook up to existing fuel level transmitters, like the current gauges.
In case this does not work as well, upgrading the transmitters and re-connecting things, is something that could be done, like a year later or so, right?

Thanks for the info.
I understand the CGR can hook up to existing fuel level transmitters, like the current gauges.
In case this does not work as well, upgrading the transmitters and re-connecting things, is something that could be done, like a year later or so, right?

That should be correct. As I read on EI's site, you would need to pull the fuel senders and send them to EI for calibration of the new units.

Thanks for the info.

If they can't even get the system to calibrate the installer shouldn't be signing it off. I won't EVER open that can of worms again, either plan on buying new fuel transmitters or don't mess with fuel quantity at all. $0.02

I just finished a Aerospace Logic FL202D fuel gauge with Cies senders, was the easiest calibration I've ever done. Unfortunately I have no experience with the EI ones which are slightly cheaper.

I have the CGR-30P in my IO-390 Commander 112, been fine with me. I have the fuel flow but not any tank sensors hooked up. I just reset the fuel onboard after filling up, or going the 48 gallons to the tabs.

For what I do this way works fine. My fuel gauges work pretty well, and the extra cost was a factor.

No problem re-configuring the system for our new senders if you elect to replace the factory senders in the future. There is a small matter of re-configuring the system, which we can do via e-mail. Additionally, there is a small amount of rewiring to be done and the tanks will need to be re-calibrated.

This is what was needed to install in my Tiger. I did, I think, have the misfortune of my install being on the job training for the whole shop in the CGR-30P and particularly for the junior A&P who did the install. In addition, the first unit I got was defective and it took the shop some time to recognize that the problem they were seeing was due to the bad unit and not an install error. That said, there is a great deal of stuff that is installed along with a highly outfitted CGR-30P, so the install time is pretty long even under better circumstances.

Install CGR-30P 29
Troubleshoot defective CGR-30P 1
Remove engine & vacuum gauges 1
Fabricate 2 fuel hoses 1
Review & prepare paperwork 1
Total hours 33

Back