Aerobatic amphibian?

stevenclin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Lin
Just daydreaming about a fun 2nd plane, and the thought occurred to me -- does anyone know of any aerobatic planes that can be put on amphibious floats?

Of course I wouldn't expect it to be aerobatic _while_ on the floats - presumably the float STC would restrict operations to non-aerobatic. But just curious - seems like it would be a way to scratch two itches with one plane.

Some close-but-no-cigar examples: the 7GCBC Citabria is obviously aerobatic (or airbatic), and has an STC for Edo straight floats, but not amphibious. The similar 8GCBC Scout has an STC for amphibious Wipaire floats, but is not aerobatic.

Any suggestions?

The Piaggio a Gull is aerobatic, IIRC. Pretty unique for a pusher twin amphibian.

Waco biplanes are available with amphib floats.

5752d7_8a00c91709f64782832f318a5d5a1841~mv2.webp

Anyone know of any SUVs with a ton of ground clearance that will corner like a sports car?

Some close-but-no-cigar examples: the 7GCBC Citabria is obviously aerobatic (or airbatic), and has an STC for Edo straight floats, but not amphibious. The similar 8GCBC Scout has an STC for amphibious Wipaire floats, but is not aerobatic.

Any suggestions?
I was going to suggest a 7GCBC as well, but it looks like you already looked into that. Also worth noting the 8GCBC Scout is not aerobatic (But still one hell of an airplane!).

Waco has some beautiful planes on floats. I've seen a Pitts on floats and I'm pretty sure it's been done more than once.

Oh that reminds me, In Indiana Jones there was an N3N (small Stearman like military trainer) on floats. Not sure about Amphibs though.

Anyone know of any SUVs with a ton of ground clearance that will corner like a sports car?
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio actually fits that bill as close as anything could.

I'm gonna be like everyone else and post something about a cool airplane on floats, even though the OP is asking about amphibs.

Except for the name and the likelihood of it being inoperable when you wanted to drive it, lol
You just call it a "Stelvio", and remember that it's many times better than a 1960's British automobile. Well, somewhat better.

Well here's the reality of what would happen if you actually attempted this silliness - this acro "itch" would be over after a few flopped loops and barrel rolls and you'd realize the airplane sucks at acro and is very limited. If you are considering this in the first place, you probably have little serious acro interest and would be better off paying for a little acro dual and just buying a traditional plane on amphibs.

I'm gonna be like everyone else and post something about a cool airplane on floats, even though the OP is asking about amphibs.
It would be interesting to get a group of POA'ers in a room and play that game where one person whispers something to the next person and it goes down the line...

While he may have said amphibs... he also clearly said, "Of course I wouldn't expect it to be aerobatic _while_ on the floats - presumably the float STC would restrict operations to non-aerobatic." Perhaps he's confusing a plane on floats with an amphibious plane, but I think his intention was to find a plane that could be aerobatic without floats, then converted to a float plane when he wanted it.

Amphib?

I was going to say citabria but I don’t think Ive seen one on amphibs

A waco or stearman would work

However you know none of these planes will check many of the boxes in your other post, none come to mind that are very good cross country machines, even as far as float planes are concerned.

Last edited:
Well here's the reality of what would happen if you actually attempted this silliness - this acro "itch" would be over after a few flopped loops and barrel rolls and you'd realize the airplane sucks at acro and is very limited. If you are considering this in the first place, you probably have little serious acro interest and would be better off paying for a little acro dual and just buying a traditional plane on amphibs.
I think I would get tired of adding and removing floats, but what if someone did this once a year. My friends add their skis once a year so they can still fly. I can imagine having something like a Super Decathlon with floats, pull them off and enjoy the plane as an aerobatic platform. For most of us, every airplane is a compromise.

I would like a Decathlon or something similar that would give a limited aerobatic platform, but also make a good photo plane. Of course this is nothing like putting on and removing floats from a plane. I have no experience with this.

Amphib?

I was going to say citabria but I don’t think Ive seen one on amphibs
I just Googled Citabria on floats. I think that would be a cool way to get most of what the OP is asking for.
d1245dbaaf724aefaecf9ffb150a45f6.jpg

I just Googled Citabria on floats. I think that would be a cool way to get most of what the OP is asking for.
d1245dbaaf724aefaecf9ffb150a45f6.jpg

He just better get one with 150hp or better, the low power ones are not a good option, if they do make a amphib that’s a bit extra weight, though I have seen supercub amphibs.

I'll plead ignorance here. I know you have a lot of float plane or amphibious experience. I forget, what is the difference?

I know you have planes that have a hull, like a Lake. You have planes on floats like the one I showed above that have no wheels, then you have planes with floats and retractable wheels. What would you call each? Float Plane, Amphibious?

He just better get one with 150hp or better, the low power ones are not a good option, if they do make a amphib that’s a bit extra weight, though I have seen supercub amphibs.
I've seen Cessna 140s with floats and the original 85HP. I have to believe this makes for a terribly long takeoff run.

I'll plead ignorance here. I know you have a lot of float plane or amphibious experience. I forget, what is the difference?

I know you have planes that have a hull, like a Lake. You have planes on floats like the one I showed above that have no wheels, then you have planes with floats and retractable wheels. What would you call each? Float Plane, Amphibious?

Amphib means it has wheels that come down from the floats so it can go from water to land, like this

s-l1000.jpg

I've seen Cessna 140s with floats and the original 85HP. I have to believe this makes for a terribly long takeoff run.

For sure, lower power planes take a little more skill, and can get yourself nto a bad spot as they normally are slow enough to, with a difficulty level of only 2 or 3, get you into a place small enough that it’s a difficulty level of 7 or 8 to get back out of, plus depending on load you could only be able to take off into the wind, even when the terrain would favor taking a light tailwind instead.

Amphib has wheels on the floats (or landing gear in the case of hulls) so it can land on water or land without pulling the floats. A float plane only has floats and can only land on water (or snow, or mud or wet grass). Typically they can only take off from water.

Amphib has wheels on the floats (or landing gear in the case of hulls) so it can land on water or land without pulling the floats. A float plane only has floats and can only land on water (or snow, or mud or wet grass). Typically they can only take off from water.

Minor nit but a plane with amphib floats is still a float plane. A non amphib float plane is said to have straight floats.

Minor nit but a plane with amphib floats is still a float plane. A non amphib float plane is said to have straight floats.

Agreed. I didn't want to go to far down the pedant trail...

Oh and also not all hull or flying boats are amphibs. Some were just for water only.

For sure, lower power planes take a little more skill, and can get yourself nto a bad spot as they normally are slow enough to, with a difficulty level of only 2 or 3, get you into a place small enough that it’s a difficulty level of 7 or 8 to get back out of, plus depending on load you could only be able to take off into the wind, even when the terrain would favor taking a light tailwind instead.

So that would be a water loop instead of a ground loop?

Back