100 hour wonders.... amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he have a problem with his new auto pilot on that one? He should have gone missed but decided to save it in since he had some visual contact with the ground? Not making any excuses by the way.
His only problem with the autopilot in that one was not setting it up for the approach and not catching it early. Standard autopilot SOP is, "here is what the autopilot should do next. It's not doing it, so I have to hand fly." Most of us have BTDT without missing a beat. But IFR, Jerry is regularly way behind the airplane. We all make mistakes. Jerry just repeats the same one over and over again, and thinks it's just fine.

Last edited:
Pilots are a lot like controllers in the sense of confidence and self assurance. As a watch supervisor and tower CTO (control tower operator) examiner for the last 27 years, the controllers that I'm concerned about the most are the ones who think "they got it" and can handle anything that comes their way. This may surprise a few of you as many would think that is what someone wants in a controller. I'll say it again, the ones that concern me the most are the ones that think they can do it all.

I'm more comfortable with controllers that are humble and continue to learn after they've received their plastic card. (just the one pilots get but states "Air Traffic Controller" on it) Just like the pilot's, it is a license to learn and after only a year or so in training, new controllers have a lot to learn. I'm more comfortable with the controller is is unafraid to turn to the watch supervisor on duty and says, "I may need a little help as it looks like we're about to be busy." I've made the mistake of trusting the controller who has that "I've got this" and focused my attention to the other positions in the tower only to hear that dreaded ATC phrase, "I've lost the picture." and then I have to bail them out because I had a false sense of trust because of their attitude.

I've flown with pilots with thousands of hours that have concerned me with how they operate their aircraft. I've flown with lower time pilots who know what they're doing and make me feel very comfortable. It really doesn't matter how many hours one has in the books, it depends upon the individual and how they go about the task.
You know, I truly think the controllers are overburdened. You tell the to hold short of a runway, and they properly acknowledge. Somehow you are expected to catch the if they don’t. You guys, although not perfect, do an OUTSTANDING job. My hat is truly off to controllers.
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again... every controller is trained to the equivalent of ATP standards.
Well done to all controllers.

And people on here continue to say that autopilots don't cause bad pilots. He's an example of why you should always hand fly when you can, instead of pushing a button and being...well...that.

you're giving way too much credit to the " faulty autopilot " with this guy. he repeatedly does unsafe sht like this and not only that, posts the videos on youtube without even realizing what he's done. it takes, well, the rest of the aviation world to point it out. this case has zero to do with his autopilot.

And people on here continue to say that autopilots don't cause bad pilots. He's an example of why you should always hand fly when you can, instead of pushing a button and being...well...that.
Nope. Disagree. Pilots SHOULD be able to hand fly, but autopilots serve a purpose.while I’ll agee the fact they should be able to straight & level, and descend while hand flying, would you hand fly to a cat 3 approach?? Even a cat 1 approach we train for in the airlines, but wouldn’t you want the AP to do it if possible?

Nope. Disagree. Pilots SHOULD be able to hand fly, but autopilots serve a purpose.while I’ll agee the fact they should be able to straight & level, and descend while hand flying, would you hand fly to a cat 3 approach?? Even a cat 1 approach we train for in the airlines, but wouldn’t you want the AP to do it if possible?
I think I agree. There is a difference between choosing to accept the benefit of an autopilot and being unable to fly adequately without one.

We do - in fact we’re required to. But us 737 guys are friggin’ weirdos! ;)

But joking aside, I generally agree.
HUD??? Anything less than Cat 1 (and we can land Cat III 300 rvr) we are required to autoland, but we don’t have hud.

Differently said, different levels of automation should be used appropriately to manage cockpit workload and accomplish aviation tasks, and aviators should be competent in the use of each different level.

It might have been the number to cancel IFR when on the ground, sometimes you have to do that if no tower or it’s close.

Tom

Did I hear right st beginning of that video him being asked “if he had the number”. ??
He take vid down due to a deviation??
It may have been the number that ATC issued in conjunction with a Brasher Warning (PD) or it could have been a number ATC uses for cancelations on the ground to bypass Flight Service for a more expeditious IFR cancellation.

Something something reverse causality. You are assuming he ever had the skill to hand fly to begin with.

Passed a check ride didn't he?

I've said this before, I'll say it again, there is no shame in calling up an instructor and saying hey, I was on an approach, and found myself full deflection above the glide slope, 2 dots to the left of course, popped out of the clouds and made the landing, but how about some practice approaches under the hood. No shame at all in that, probably get fixed in a flight or two, plus learn some neat stuff along the way.

I've said this before, I'll say it again, there is no shame in calling up an instructor and saying hey, I was on an approach, and found myself full deflection above the glide slope, 2 dots to the left of course, popped out of the clouds and made the landing, but how about some practice approaches under the hood. No shame at all in that, probably get fixed in a flight or two, plus learn some neat stuff along the way.
First you have to admit you have a problem.

First you have to admit you have a problem.

I "use to" to fly with an elderly gentleman that had this exact problem. Even though at the time (years ago) when I was wet behind the ears, and still am:) he would not listen to anything I would mention even when things went bad and he had to know it.
I suggested many times why not get an instructor and brush up on a specific item. He had to much pride to do that.
Glad I don't fly with him any longer.

I "use to" to fly with an elderly gentleman that had this exact problem. Even though at the time (years ago) when I was wet behind the ears, and still am:) he would not listen to anything I would mention even when things went bad and he had to know it.
I suggested many times why not get an instructor and brush up on a specific item. He had to much pride to do that.
Glad I don't fly with him any longer.
Lots and lots of pilots like that. Many think 'Hmm, Jim's a good stick and all, but I'm sure glad I'm here just in case things go south...I'll be able to get us out of it!'

Not using automation is like not using flaps or a slip, it’s a tool and you should know when to use it, and when not to use it, you should be a able to fly to spec with or without it.

Also always something to learn, be it a 20hr pilot or a 20,000hr pilot.

There are SOOO MANY different facets of aviation, I mean a high time airline only guy is still a rookie on floats and vise versa, then you have gliders, gyrocopters, helicopters, skydiving, drones, ski flying, instructing, aerobatics, and on and on, plus there’s always a million different but good ways to do the same thing, with the standard issue human with good mx having maybe a 100yr service life, 18 years on one end often burned in drawn out “childhood”, and 20ish years on the other end not too useful, I don’t see how anyone could master ALL of that in say 62 years or so.

Looks like the video was pulled, but I think I know which one you are referencing here, I saw full deflection above on the gp, 1/2 deflection on the approach path and 2000+ fpm down to the runway. Can't judge minimums from the video. I don't understand why someone would not spend a few hours with an instructor and straighten that stuff out.

Here's a 128 page, 2,500+ post thread about that guy:

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/the-jerry-clown-show.247907/

If you watch Jerry long enough, you can see he's a pretty good VFR stick. Horrible risk management and a sense of invulnerability, but handles stick and rudder pretty well when he an see out the window.

IFR though, "some skills" would mean not getting into that situation repeatedly when flying the same approaches (he regularly flies between Auburn and Okaland). Get him into an unfamiliar IFR environment and it gets worse. If you have't seen them, there are others. Another one which disappeared after a while was this approach into OAK. I managed to do a screen grab of the moment he broke out of the clouds to use as a teaching tool.

There was an even worse one I missed.

View attachment 71795

[/QUOTE]

Strangely with all those things going wrong, seeing the hand in his lap perturbed me the most; I feel it represents a detachment from the airplane and the situation it's in.

Strangely with all those things going wrong, seeing the hand in his lap perturbed me the most; I feel it represents a detachment from the airplane and the situation it's in.[/QUOTE]
Guess I'm strange too. I felt the same way when I saw it. Dunno about detachment, but definitely a lack of awareness.

Here's a 128 page, 2,500+ post thread about that guy:

https://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/the-jerry-clown-show.247907/
Wow. Savage. That’s a lot of angst!!
You have to thing that at some point the FAA is going to take a peek at this stuff. He really exposes himself. Both on YT and then flamed on the sites. 2500 posts over 2 years is hilarious. Got to think that at some point some point it gets shared to someone that matters. It’s funny, he gets real quiet when the crap is hitting the fan and busts out and then it’s hooting and hollaring like a cowboy!

Last edited:
HUD??? Anything less than Cat 1 (and we can land Cat III 300 rvr) we are required to autoland, but we don’t have hud.

Yep, HUD. Not sure why we do it that way instead of autolanding like everyone else - probably cheaper. ;)

If you watch Jerry long enough, you can see he's a pretty good VFR stick. Horrible risk management and a sense of invulnerability, but handles stick and rudder pretty well when he an see out the window.

Maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky with the people I've flown with, but I don't think he's that good of a stick. It's hard to tell some things from the camera though, and frankly that's a plane wreck that I already see coming, I don't need further evidence of it.

Then they hit about a whooping 100 hrs and think they know everything, and will argue 20,000 hour ATP guys. Correct, aq
Yeah, we don’t know all the exact 91 rules you may know, but believe me, we know the real world a whole lot better than you.

Advice is worth what you pay for it. Knowledge can be helpful, but there is no substitute for experience. 3700 hours and I still see a new situation nearly every fight. Some challenges make me bolder in an area and some make me more reserved in another. Actually as I age, the emboldening ones are fewer and farther between.

I didn't realize they came down on 6PC for his videos.

They didn’t, it was over a Facebook post about only accepting cash for instruction because wasn’t a CFI. Nonetheless, the only violation was serious lack of sense of humor on someone’s part. :)

the only violation was serious lack of sense of humor on someone’s part. :)

We at the FAA have no sense of humor that we are aware of....

maxresdefault.jpg

They didn’t, it was over a Facebook post about only accepting cash for instruction because wasn’t a CFI. Nonetheless, the only violation was serious lack of sense of humor on someone’s part. :)

Yeah, I know it was a facebook post. That was sort of the point behind my response to the post that said it was due to his videos.

Wow. Savage. That’s a lot of angst!!
Understand that a lot of that angst over there on that board isn't against only Jerry. It's also against non-professional "weekend warrior" GA pilots, of which Jerry is now their imagined representative.

Understand that a lot of that angst over there on that board isn't against only Jerry. It's also against non-professional "weekend warrior" GA pilots, of which Jerry is now their imagined representative.
There are definitely those who look down on any pilot who is not up to their standards. But, even on that site, and i that tread, they are in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back