How to get the most out of IFR currency using sim or approved flight training device?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
A local airplane rental company has recently added a Touch Trainer sim. And I'm thinking of making use of it for some of the required IFR Currency items.

Besides setting the weather to minimums, and slewing he aircraft to somewhere outside of the initial fix, what other things could I do to make the session productive?

And when I record this activity in my logbook, what do I record in the aircraft make/model columns?

‘Random’ eqpt failures requiring partial panel ops

^^This. But I don't know how well that would work if you're running the sim yourself; I've only done that when a CFI was running the sim.

Having a "CFII in the loop" may be more expensive and more complicated to schedule, but can add a lot of value. They can set up specific scenarios in the sim, then provide detailed feedback during debrief. Even if you find a sim that can randomly insert failures so you don't know about them in advance, you may not get all the benefit that you would if a CFI was observing your performance and giving feedback afterward.

Often, the value I get from my CFII during sim training is recommendations on different techniques to consider to address deficiencies he observes in my performance. Sometimes, I know I'm not doing something well, but don't really know how to improve it. Other times, I don't really even realize there's room for improvement...

Sims are awesome for IFR.

I’d fail the DG and just keep following it

Try to land at a large field 0/0

Engine failure at 500 after departing

Icing

Normal stuff too, circle to land to a missed.

I’d also fly NDBs, airways and to a ILS with no moving map.

+1 on Missed approaches from various approach types and unpublished holds (although the only unpublished holds I've gotten in real life have been "on your inbound course" and "present position ", so the entries were pretty easy.)

Turbulence, wind, and failures - pitot/static, instrument, vac system, and electrical.

You should list under Aircraft Type PCATD or whatever that simulator is listed as. Under Aircraft Type, it should be the specific on you are using. You should record somewhere on the line where the simulator lives (flight school name is good enough usually.. the FAA would like to know where to look to find it if they need to). Especially if it's an AATD.

For the Elite I have, I log PCATD then Elite PI-121. I''m not sure how the touch trainer is certified.

For the time I had in the Redbird at Aviator Air, it's logged as AATD where I would normally put PCATD, and then the flight school where it's located.

My DPE had no problem with how I logged any of this in my logbook for my IFR checkride.

Also, it's suggested you get a copy of the LOA that follows the specific sim you are using and keep a copy in case the FAA ever has a question.

For the Elite I have, I log PCATD then Elite PI-121. I''m not sure how the touch trainer is certified.

Also, it's suggested you get a copy of the LOA that follows the specific sim you are using and keep a copy in case the FAA ever has a question.

Your Elite PI-121 is considered to be a BATD now, here is a link to the current LOA. The link says 135 but the same LOA covers the 121 also.
https://flyelite.com/downloads/faa/pi135.pdf

I can’t find it right now but I have seen where the FAA interprets the requirement to log the ATD’s identification to mean that you have to log the serial number. You would log Elite PI-121 under aircraft type, serial number under aircraft identification, and then the location.

Your Elite PI-121 is considered to be a BATD now, here is a link to the current LOA. The link says 135 but the same LOA covers the 121 also.
https://flyelite.com/downloads/faa/pi135.pdf

I can’t find it right now but I have seen where the FAA interprets the requirement to log the ATD’s identification to mean that you have to log the serial number. You would log Elite PI-121 under aircraft type, serial number under aircraft identification, and then the location.

Should be a new LOA coming from them sometime this year to carry the certification forward.

Sims are awesome for IFR.

I’d fail the DG and just keep following it

Try to land at a large field 0/0

Engine failure at 500 after departing

Icing

Normal stuff too, circle to land to a missed.

I’d also fly NDBs, airways and to a ILS with no moving map.

Cool, just like we learned to do it way back when the highest end avionics you could get was the KNS-80 RNAV unit Circa early 90's.

Cool, just like we learned to do it way back when the highest end avionics you could get was the KNS-80 RNAV unit Circa early 90's.

Always good to make sure you’re still sharp when you peel back all the niceties of automation and screens, like staying proficient with iron sights and holdover.

Back