Ghetto engine heat preservation

The good thing was I got to meet DPE and sit down and talk a bit. When I heard how the guy failed yesterday it was reassuring to me as I don’t fly like that!

This can be a good thing. Now just relax, get all the small problems fixed and get through all this.

Bingo. My pilot cert. always behind my Drivers license in my wallet. Must have taken it out to fill out IACRA or something and just forgot. I grabbed my wallet along with the other 20 lbs of crap and never considered it. I pulled out my wallet at ride and handed over my photo ID and saw a blank space behind it- I knew I was boned. Embarrassing. Bush league. Wife asked if I had everything yesterday- said yes. (Ugh another I told so moment). DPE said it happens- can’t imagine. But I guess so. I’ve prepped so many times and gotten ready. I know I had it in there one or two cherckride Preps ago- somehow I must have moved it.

I managed to do the same thing for my multi-engine add-on checkride. The DPE just had me log on to the FAA Airmen Services website and submit a request for “temporary authority to exercise certificate privileges”. I received an email within minutes giving me that authorization (basically a temp pilot certificate) and we completed my checkride.

Not knowing your situation and what’s available to you, I would probably try to get checked out in a local rental IR 172, get a mock IR check ride if possible, and then do your checkride while it’s all fresh.

You’ll probably spend as much or more getting back into the 182 and regaining your skills. You are more experienced than me and everything, but just ideas.

31cd89f4-7fd7-420a-bc2a-4992a7070f5c-jpeg.69826

You did call the thread "ghetto", didn't you? It seems that this works if you leave the engine running and get out to throw a sleeping bag, comforter and towels into the prop. Cut the legs off of your yoga pants to cover the prop (wait until it's stopped for this). Be blessed.

Last edited:
You were short changed. No way to tell nav knowledge in that time. Mine was 2.5 hours, just a few years after yours.
I think the examiner could tell that I was a prodigy. Or maybe just a genius. He was correct either way

My wife swears me not Having license is a sign I wasn’t supposed to fly. Hard pill to swallow flying home CAVU without a bump or a breeze. But imagine That tank goes tits up with DPE in the plane with me. Maybe she is right.

Or, it’s time to get a new wife. One that doesn’t blend supernatural with physics.

I had a friend who’s airplane blew a prop seal while the local dpe was onboard. Oil coated the windshield. It turned out to be a very good time to have someone with that level of experience beside him. CRM and all that.

31cd89f4-7fd7-420a-bc2a-4992a7070f5c-jpeg.69826

You did call the thread "ghetto", didn't you? It seems that this works if you leave the engine running and get out to throw a sleeping bag, comforter and towels into the prop. Cut the legs off of your yoga pants to cover the prop (wait until it's stopped for this). Be blessed.

Yes I set parking brake at idle and get out and toss it on! Lol

That wrap keeps my entire engine compartment in the low 80s just off a 275w sump heater with ambient at 15 or so... :)

Flew to other side of state today for an appointment, I took the light blue flannel fitted sheet put that on her and the fleece “rough draft” version of a custom cowl cover I’m making for her to put over the flannel sheet for today. After two hours parked in mid 20s cylinder heads were still warm :).

My new one I’m making gunna be slick! Liner like a carhart has, that almost silky quilted material, then thinsulate and then a nylon shell... can’t wait to get it done. Going to go from ghetto to first class for the old gal!

Back