Emeterm: Flight training without nausea

Franco1024

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Franco1024
I recently had an intro flight and after about 30 min I began to get really bad motion sickness. I still loved the experience of flight but the nausea was tiring and frustrating. But my wife baught an Emeterm to prevent the nausea during my training for my PPL. That I plan on beginning in the fall. Tx heat sucks. Has anyone had any experience with an EmeTerm and or any other type of anti emetic devices?

Just tuck your shirt in and barf down your collar :dunno:

Shorter flights
am flights
Ginger?
Wrist band-thingy.

It will pass, mine did.

My friend had this problem, went on to the USAF, flew in their famous 6-ship demo team. -16s, -15’s, A-10s.
Just so you know, it’s common, it can be licked.

I recall steep turns not sitting well with me when I first started.

Ginger gum worked well for me. After awhile my body adjusted and no longer have issues. But still get car sick if I’m not driving.

Cold damp towels in the cooler bag, place around neck/shoulders when you start feeling it. Combats Texas heat too.

+1 to ginger gum or ginger candy.

Where in Texas are you?

Last edited:
Also, make sure you are well hydrated. And it can help to have something simple and bland in your stomach (such as crackers).

I got motion sickness on my first level off during my first lesson. It was an issue I fought constantly until I started using these patches. Eventually I weened myself off them and now am good to go but they worked better then any of the other things out there for me.

MQ® Motion Sickness Patch,20 Count/Box https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S9FSPOG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q-4zCbW9F8CEV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all the tips and info. I'm in the Dallas close to lovefield. In the middle of planning my next intro flight with another school and can't wait.

Thanks for all the tips and info. I'm in the Dallas close to lovefield. In the middle of planning my next intro flight with another school and can't wait.
So who did you fly with the first time?

I read Dave's response and I was like what does being a redhead have to do with getting motion sickness?

A lot of it isn’t motion sickness.. it can be the combo of heat and the stress of everything going on. When I started I would have to hand over controls first few flights because I thought I was going to toss it. I would bring a plastic bag and make sure I wouldn’t eat before I fly. Until one day my CFI invited me to lunch. Double salami and cheese pizza. Wanted to split it. I ate- then driving back to airport I thought this will be the day I really toss it all over a hot plane over KDAB. Turned out it was the first flight I didn’t get nauseated. Eating before flying made a huge difference for me. To this day I show up at field finishing a sandwich or something.

It was with Aviator Air out of KGPM. I have been reading alot into pilot nausea and I think mine was brought on by keeping my eyes on the instruments and just not keeping my eyes outside the plane... which I have now learned is a big no no during VFR anyways so that will be a big change for next time. If anyone is in the DFW and can recomend a school to go check out I would really appreciate it.

I recently had an intro flight and after about 30 min I began to get really bad motion sickness. I still loved the experience of flight but the nausea was tiring and frustrating. But my wife baught an Emeterm to prevent the nausea during my training for my PPL. That I plan on beginning in the fall. Tx heat sucks. Has anyone had any experience with an EmeTerm and or any other type of anti emetic devices?

I have never heard of EmeTerm but I swear by crystallized ginger. It has the consistency of gum drops and kills nausea in its tracks. It is sold in the bulk foods section of supermarkets (and possibly at Asian markets...I haven't looked there).

Bob

A lot of it isn’t motion sickness.. it can be the combo of heat and the stress of everything going on. When I started I would have to hand over controls first few flights because I thought I was going to toss it. I would bring a plastic bag and make sure I wouldn’t eat before I fly. Until one day my CFI invited me to lunch. Double salami and cheese pizza. Wanted to split it. I ate- then driving back to airport I thought this will be the day I really toss it all over a hot plane over KDAB. Turned out it was the first flight I didn’t get nauseated. Eating before flying made a huge difference for me. To this day I show up at field finishing a sandwich or something.

I used to make this same mistake. I figured if I didn’t eat, at least I had less to throw up.
After talking to the doctor about my kid’s motion sickness; she said to make sure the kids eat before we go anywhere. I’ve been better off following that same advice.

Take a few more flights. The more you are flying the plane, the better it will be. Also, talk to your instructor about it, stick with shorter lessons, and don't be afraid to cry uncle before it gets bad.

I threw up all over the plane on my first lesson. It'll get better. And yet I can still get a little sour somedays with a lot of tight thermaling with no straight and level.

Eat bananas. They taste the same coming up as going down.

Keep your head and eyes outside the air plane,don’t fixate on the instruments. The more you fly the less nausea you should experience.

Totally agree. If you want to handle the demands of flight training, then you need to eat a healthy meal before every flight. Military teaches this common sense approach. Many people think the food is just ammo for puking, but they don't have flying experience. I rarely pilot when I am hungry and that would be a short flight to get food!

Keep your head and eyes outside the air plane,don’t fixate on the instruments. The more you fly the less nausea you should experience.

Or just keep your head outside the plane. That way when you yak it's easier to clean up the outside than it is the inside.

Do you know that motion sickness is caused by your brain trying to solve for a bunch of conflicting sensations? Your brain will eventually resolve the sensations.

1. Tell the CFI your concerns before your first flight
2. Relax as much as possible and understand you are not expected to single handedly slay the beast.
3. Reduce head movements and when you move your head try to have your eyes outside tracking the horizon.
4 . IF you start feeling queezy, let the CFI know immediately. He can take the plane and fly much smoother than you can. Breath, get plenty of air, relax, eyes on that horizon.

s-l1600.jpg

For the fresh air.

I know this thread is dead but I just wanted to give an update on this experience i had... i took me about 10hrs flight time to "get over it". The Emeterm help out a lot in the beginning it keeps me from throwing up but I was still feeling off sometimes during the beginning of training. Now I just wear it in case it comes back. Especially after I felt it some during unusual attitudes. If anyone has any worries about air sickness I would highly recommend the Emeterm

I was going to ask if you got sick because someone else was at the controls. Usually, one is less sick if they are controlling the airplane. But congrats on licking the nausea.

I have a friend that got sick every time he flew, but he wanted his PPL really bad. He's 70 years old. The way he "trained" himself to not get sick, he had a swing on a tree limb in his back yard. He'd go out and swing in the swing everyday for a little while, just like a kid in the park. Now he's flying without any issues at all.

Good to know - I'll likely pick up one for my wife -

Back