Approach mnemonics

Hi everyone.
The two worst examples of mnemonic abuse: take a simple, arguably useful, mnemonic and mangle it beyond recognition.

Actually there is another T and S for everyone interested?

I do hope that the OP, and everyone, understands that all these answers, complete thread, is an exercise in futility, and make sure that you do not go for a check ride and you use only a mental checklist and are not using a written checklist for every phase. In most cases that will be disqualifying if you do not.

Hi everyone.

Actually there is another T and S for everyone interested?

I do hope that the OP, and everyone, understands that all these answers, complete thread, is an exercise in futility, and make sure that you do not go for a check ride and you use only a mental checklist and are not using a written checklist for every phase. In most cases that will be disqualifying if you do not.
I've heard as many as 12 Ts and far more bastardization of GUMP. I have GUMMPCPPGPFLCC in my collection, but no clue what it stands for. I suspect one would crash while trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
I've heard as many as 12 Ts and far more bastardization of GUMP. I have GUMMPCPPGPFLCC in my collection, but no clue what it stands for. I suspect one would crash while trying to figure it out.

My favorite so far is ATOMATOFLAMESFLAPSGRABCARD.

I feel that way about every instrument approach briefing mnemonic I ever heard.

Come to think of it...

Mnemonics
Never
Eliminate
Man's
Only
Nemesis -
Inadequate
Cerebral
Storage

Most are worthless. Except the approach brief ones - all are worthless.

How would I ever remember to get the weather, change the radios to the proper frequency, and load an approach if I didn't have a mnemonic to remind me?

How would you ever remember to put the landing gear down without a checklist? Yet, that's why we have checklists...

I don't use a lot of mnemonics, but in this case, I do have one that I use.

fairly close to my instrument checkride, and am trying to fine-tune a quick final approach fix checklist.

IMO, if you need something at the FAF, you're not prepared for the approach. Really, the only thing one should be doing at the FAF is dropping the gear and initiating the descent - 5 Ts tends to work just fine here.

I prefer to be prepared much farther in advance, but I do have a mnemonic I use for IFR approach readiness (starting 20-30 minutes prior to landing): PAIN CALL.

Position - Think about where I am relative to the approach and gauge how much time I have and any additional turns I'll need to make to get onto the procedure.
ATIS (or AWOS) - obtain
Instruments - Set DG to compass if applicable, set altimeter
Nav radios - Here, there's the sub-checklist "TITS": Tune the frequency, Identify the station (if it's not GPS), Twist the OBS to the FAC, and Set the marker beacons to on on your audio panel.
Com radios - Set tower in standby (assuming you're already talking to approach), maybe set ground in #2.
Approach briefing - Brief the plate one last time.
Listen - for your approach clearance
Landing checklist.

And I like this because doing it in this order makes sense as you're approaching your destination.

I agree, Mark. Far too often I remember the mnemonic but not what it means. Like TOMATO FLAMES--it's quite a memorable phrase, but my Owners Manual has a nice list of required instruments for Day, Night and IFR.

But I don't use one for approaches, just the briefing strip across the top, the profile view and check the diagram for actual elevation.

I already have my PPL, working on IFR...but I agree with this regarding mnemonic phrase to remember what I should have for day, night, and IFR planning. The fact is I can't remember what all the letters stand for. Just curious, if a check ride is suppose to be like real-life, if I were asked on a oral exam and was asked, why couldn't I just tell the examiner that if something fail, rather than try and remember everything, I would just know in my Owners Manual where to look to find the list and then show it to the examiner? I would think something like these list would be okay. Besides, even if I learn it for the test, after a few months of nothing breaking, I wouldn't remember it anyway.

I already have my PPL, working on IFR...but I agree with this regarding mnemonic phrase to remember what I should have for day, night, and IFR planning. The fact is I can't remember what all the letters stand for. Just curious, if a check ride is suppose to be like real-life, if I were asked on a oral exam and was asked, why couldn't I just tell the examiner that if something fail, rather than try and remember everything, I would just know in my Owners Manual where to look to find the list and then show it to the examiner? I would think something like these list would be okay. Besides, even if I learn it for the test, after a few months of nothing breaking, I wouldn't remember it anyway.
That most likely IS what the examiner is looking for, except that the foundation is 91.213, which guides you to the AFM/POH, among other places.

Mark, truthfully, I'm with you 100% :) We just saw an opportunity for a bag-stuffer when we were exhibiting at a show. I agree that once you're comfy flying in the system, a blank screen/sheet is fine. The only reason I use the CRAFT option in FF is because it's front and center as an option when using the scratchpad.

Mark, truthfully, I'm with you 100% :) We just saw an opportunity for a bag-stuffer when we were exhibiting at a show. I agree that once you're comfy flying in the system, a blank screen/sheet is fine. The only reason I use the CRAFT option in FF is because it's front and center as an option when using the scratchpad.
LOL! I'm slightly kidding. I like is plain. I know a lot of pilots like forms like this. Many (most? all?) of us learned cross country planning on a big 2-sided form with dedicated spaces not only for waypoint, courses, headings, but with areas in the back to record different portions of our weather briefings. For towered and Class C/ARSA, an ATIS or CRAFT form helped us understand the Greek-to-me of the language and sequence. So like mnemonics themselves, a lot of us understandably we get used to them and like them. I can probably find a few attempts at writing this type of form for myself buried somewhere.

Seeing your bag-stuffer, I'd grab a few :)

Back