Approach mnemonics

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Hi all,

fairly close to my instrument checkride, and am trying to fine-tune a quick final approach fix checklist. My instructor has been teaching me to use both FAT-EL and CRAP when crossing FAP

Flags - I.e checking for correct RNAV mode (like LPV) or any error messages displayed
Altitude
Time - if needed
Everything else -flow
Lights -both plane and runway lights

Course/source - set to VOR/ GPS as needed
Route - needle centered
Altitude
Pre-landing checks

For whatever reason im not a huge fan of the layout of those checklists, but have certainly found the benefits of running through those items during my training. I spent some time playing around with order and items and so far my favorite is CRAFTED

Course/source
Route
Altitude
Flags
Time
Everything else (flow)
Darkness (wee bit of a stretch but will also seem less likely to forget runway lights this way)

Really just looking for any opinions and suggestions to improve this. Any important items you think I am missing here? Anybody have a quick FAP check they like better?

While there are other ways to do this (I do "5-A's" and a few others I know do it as simple ABC), there is no one set and final way. You need to determine what works for you and do that.

Right now, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Being close to your check ride is the wrong time to introduce chaos. If the ways you mention are working, stick with those.

Changing the way you learned to do this (or way you are currently do it) can and will create confusion and errors at a time when you need to be ON TASK and clear in your process. Anything else is going to put you behind the airplane in a very critical period.

While there are other ways to do this (I do "5-A's" and a few others I know do it as simple ABC), there is no one set and final way. You need to determine what works for you and do that.

Right now, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Being close to your check ride is the wrong time to introduce chaos. If the ways you mention are working, stick with those.

Changing the way you learned to do this (or way you are currently do it) can and will create confusion and errors at a time when you need to be ON TASK and clear in your process. Anything else is going to put you behind the airplane in a very critical period.

Very good point. Still need 9 instrument hours to go, and am going to talk to my instructor but I personally think this should be enough time to clean it up. Also, would rather try to get a system I like while I am with an instructor and not the first time I am flying solo IMC

Very good point. Still need 9 instrument hours to go, and am going to talk to my instructor but I personally think this should be enough time to clean it up. Also, would rather try to get a system I like while I am with an instructor and not the first time I am flying solo IMC
One thing to keep in mind is KISS and not to overcomplicate it.

The following is my checklist. But this is a checklist to be used AFTER the FLOW of items has been accomplished. As a checklist, it helps me to make sure I didn't skip an important item.

This was the one that instructor Ron Levy developed with me and beat into my head during instrument training with him. (many here know him as Cap'n Ron and that his participation with Professional Instrument Courses).

Is it the best for everyone? Probably not.
Does it work for me? Very much yes.
Would I make changes to this if someone points out a better idea or way? Quite likely.

Like the discussion on checklists in general, there is no "one fits all". But starting with a reliable something (such as the PoH or the appropriate FAA created source) and then adapting to your style of flying can be a good exercise.

But again, keep it uncomplicated so that, during the midst of the milk bottle conditions where you're being tossed around like a tennis shoe in a clothes dryer, you can remember and excuse the necessary items and steps.

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.41.47 PM.png

Hi all,

fairly close to my instrument checkride, and am trying to fine-tune a quick final approach fix checklist. My instructor has been teaching me to use both FAT-EL and CRAP when crossing FAP

Flags - I.e checking for correct RNAV mode (like LPV) or any error messages displayed
Altitude
Time - if needed
Everything else -flow

Route - needle centered
Altitude
Pre-landing checks

For whatever reason im not a huge fan of the layout of those checklists, but have certainly found the benefits of running through those items during my training. I spent some time playing around with order and items and so far my favorite is CRAFTED

Course/source
Route
Altitude
Flags
Time
Everything else (flow)
Darkness (wee bit of a stretch but will also seem less likely to forget runway lights this way)

Really just looking for any opinions and suggestions to improve this. Any important items you think I am missing here? Anybody have a quick FAP check they like better?

I’m a ATP and reading that is making me overwhelmed ;)

Here’s my approach checklist

E9-AA9659-CC2-C-49-F6-8201-55-BB530-D2-D7-A.jpg

My ride is on Sunday. I don’t use any of these!! Just me.
I keep it real simple. Just my basic prelanding checklist.
I will say I cue up lights as soon as I change frequency to the local. But you have to watch. One of my approaches that I likely will have to do lights are activated by a different frequency the UNICOM. Never saw that before. My CFI let me flail first time I did that approach.

Do you really need a checklist item for everything else, or keep the needle centered? Or a checklist item to point to another checklist? (Landing checks)

P.s. if you have a retract, just make you don’t forget that checklist item. It would be very easy given the stress and distraction of a instrument approach to forget it.

Tom

Tom

The "briefing strip" on our approach plates was the result of an extensive human factor study on briefing approaches. The rest is basic situational awareness and the normal sequence we use even when VFR.

A mnemonic should not be necessary.

WIRE and GUMPS

Weather
Instruments
Radios
Elevation approach/missed

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches/safety

Last edited:
I was taught WIRES slightly differently :

W -
I -
R -
E - engine (throttle, mixture, prop, check gauges)
S - seat belts

There is a very clever way to brief the approach and complete a before landing check using only the IAP chart. It covers everything needed and you can make marks on the paper chart to keep track.

I know: "Nobody uses paper any more..."

Maybe someday I'll make a tutorial detailing how to do it...

BS = GIGO. IMO.
I feel that way about every instrument approach briefing mnemonic I ever heard.

Come to think of it...

Mnemonics
Never
Eliminate
Man's
Only
Nemesis -
Inadequate
Cerebral
Storage

Most are worthless. Except the approach brief ones - all are worthless.

How would I ever remember to get the weather, change the radios to the proper frequency, and load an approach if I didn't have a mnemonic to remind me?

I agree, Mark. Far too often I remember the mnemonic but not what it means. Like TOMATO FLAMES--it's quite a memorable phrase, but my Owners Manual has a nice list of required instruments for Day, Night and IFR.

But I don't use one for approaches, just the briefing strip across the top, the profile view and check the diagram for actual elevation.

I was taught WIRES slightly differently :

W -
I -
R -
E - engine (throttle, mixture, prop, check gauges)
S - seat belts
The "E" in WIRE has stood for a number of things. The best one I've heard explains it's true usefulness: "Everything else."

You've heard the saying, "a solution looking for a problem." This is similar "a mnemonic looking for a meaning."

So definitely understand the feeling the over use of mnemonics in aviation, but this is the one place I have really found a strong use for it. The whole check is really just a redundancy to make sure ive done everything I should have done already, and personally gives me piece of mind crossing the FAF that everything is right.

So definitely understand the feeling the over use of mnemonics in aviation, but this is the one place I have really found a strong use for it. The whole check is really just a redundancy to make sure ive done everything I should have done already, and personally gives me piece of mind crossing the FAF that everything is right.
If it makes you feel better I, for one, am all for it, whatever "it" is. The important thing is that what you use is personal, effective and consistent. That "briefing strip" (BS) never did anything but annoy me when they jammed it down our throats. Reads like a product of a committee of desk jocks in consultation with student pilots and run through the legal department. When I review a chart, I find most of the "killer items" are elsewhere, like step-down fix MDAs and doglegs in the approach course. So, do what works for you and revise it all the time. That's my advice, FWIW.;)

What I would do instead is figure out what critical items I tend to miss and create a checklist item for it. The problem with 99% if mnemonics is they tend to be a collection of items without regard to whether they are things which get missed.

You are on an IFR flight. You are nearing your destination. Do you need a mnemonic to remind you to begin checking the weather early so you know which approach you want or expect to begin with? If you choose an ILS, do you need a mnemonic to remind you to put it in the box? If a GPS, a mnemonic reminder to load it? As you proceed, do you need a mnemonic to switch com frequencies to the next one ATC gives you?

I'm guessing not.

OTOH, have you found that you sometimes forget to switch from VLOC to GPS? Or time a VOR because you rarely fly approaches which require timing? Plenty of pilots do. Then, by all means, create a short "approach briefing" checklist to reference.

If it makes you feel better I, for one, am all for it, whatever "it" is. The important thing is that what you use is personal, effective and consistent. That "briefing strip" (BS) never did anything but annoy me when they jammed it down our throats. Reads like a product of a committee of desk jocks in consultation with student pilots and run through the legal department. When I review a chart, I find most of the "killer items" are elsewhere, like step-down fix MDAs and doglegs in the approach course. So, do what works for you and revise it all the time. That's my advice, FWIW.;)
The "briefing strip" is, IMO, more of a "setup strip". Go through it, and your avionics will be set up for the final approach course.

Unfortunately I see it abused quite regularly in crew situation with a "how fast can I talk" fashion, which is the antithesis of a good briefing because it takes time for the pilot flying to absorb what's being said.

If you're having trouble remembering and don't understand the approach plate briefing strip for whatever reason. Instead of memorizing some stupid mnemonic and then trying to remember what each letter stands for, make a checklist of the things you need to do and just go down them one by one.

Hi all,

Altitude
Time - if needed
Everything else -flow

Route - needle centered
Altitude
Pre-landing checks

Course/source
Route
Altitude
Flags
Time
Everything else (flow)

I always enjoy a good CRAP after I FAP.......

Use a mnemonic to get you through a check ride for one or two sticky areas.
reenforce good habits flying with your CFI and stay proficient instead of just current so
You don’t have to think about your flow- it will just happen.
Except. CRAFT. I always write that down my page. Lol.

What's CRAFT?
One of the (very :D) short list of useful training mnemonics.

It is the order in which an IFR clearance is given.

Clearance limit
Route
Altitude
Frequency (departure)
Transponder code

It's often taught to student pilots too since (except for the clearance limit) it also reflects VFR clearances when departing from a Class B primary and VFR departure instructions from the ground at a Class C primary.

The letters I used to write on my kneeboard/clipboard were:

C Cleared to [clearance limit]
V Via [routing]
M Maintain [altitude]
D [Departure Control Frequency]
S [Squawk code]
[Special Instructions, like Void Time]

This is not a mnemonic. The letters represent the first letter of the exact words ATC must use in the clearance.

The letters I used to write on my kneeboard/clipboard were:

C Cleared to [clearance limit]
V Via [routing]
M Maintain [altitude]
D [Departure Control Frequency]
S [Squawk code]
[Special Instructions, like Void Time]

This is not a mnemonic
If you say so :D

Here's my non-mnemonic for copying a clearance.

upload_2019-2-16_8-21-50.jpeg

Last edited:
One of the (very :D) short list of useful training mnemonics.

It is the order in which an IFR clearance is given.

Clearance limit
Route
Altitude
Frequency (departure)
Transponder code

It's often taught to student pilots too since (except for the clearance limit) it also reflects VFR clearances when departing from a Class B primary and VFR departure instructions from the ground at a Class C primary.

That always messed me up

Found using short hand, and copying it as it’s given was much faster and easier than trying to play clearance bingo with “craft”

That always messed me up

Found using short hand, and copying it as it’s given was much faster and easier than trying to play clearance bingo with “craft”
It not as bad as BINGO since it's always in the same order, but pretty much agreed. That's why I referred to it as a "training" mnemonic. Once you get used to the order, you simply copy it.

We see CRAFT scratchpad pages in EFBs, but I never saw one of those in which "R" worked with anything much longer than "as filed."

Not sure I've see this discussed anywhere. When you read back an IFR clearance where they say "Bug Destroyer 666, cleared Podunk as filed," do you read back "as filed?" OR do you read back the route that you filed?

Not sure I've see this discussed anywhere. When you read back an IFR clearance where they say "Bug Destroyer 666, cleared Podunk as filed," do you read back "as filed?" OR do you read back the route that you filed?
I read back "as filed" and I think most do. There is definitely the possibility of an error. I've seen it happen but it's rare.

There are alway exceptions. If, for example, I filed a flight plan early, and due to weather changes, modified it, I'd either read back the full clearance or ask for it.

That always messed me up

"Clearance bingo", I like that a lot. :) No need for knowing "CRAFT" unless you're a student—controller, that is. What happens when you don't happen to get everything in perfect order like the book says you should? You're all set up for sand in the gears looking for a place to write it. Just write the elements as they come, vertically down the page not horizontally (except the routing, as necessary). When they say, "thousand", write a zero (one five thousand ten minutes after departure = 150/10). No need to spell out the destination either, you know where you're going. Read back just what you write in the same order.

Last edited:
Mark and I use the same clearance template. I don't even bother scratching it in any sort of vertical or horizontal fashion. My last one was written like this: (not gonna mess with taking a pic and uploading)
PTK AF
3000 EX 8 10

The previous one was
YNG AF TOL 5000

I didn't even write down the squawk or freq because I picked up my clearance in the air.

Hi.
If you did not have enough, here are some more that one can use that cover most elements:

VFR.
ACCGUMPPS
. Accessories, Carburetor Heat, Cowl Flaps, Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Pump, Safety: Seat Belt, Doors, Brief.... This Can Be Used during a level off, climb, gear down and before landing or any other time a change is made.

IFR.
8T's-Time, Turn, Twist, Throttle, Talk, Tank, Tires, Track. It Can Be Used during The Approach, entering Hold or before Landing....

CRAFT-Cleared to; Route; Altitude; Frequency; Transponder. This Should Be Used for Instrument Clearances as a guide.

Hi.
If you did not have enough, here are some more that one can use that cover most elements:

VFR.
ACCGUMPPS. Accessories, Carburetor Heat, Cowl Flaps, Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Pump, Safety: Seat Belt, Doors, Brief.... This Can Be Used during a level off, climb, gear down and before landing or any other time a change is made.

IFR.
8T's-Time, Turn, Twist, Throttle, Talk, Tank, Tires, Track. It Can Be Used during The Approach, entering Hold or before Landing....

CRAFT-Cleared to; Route; Altitude; Frequency; Transponder. This Should Be Used for Instrument Clearances as a guide.

Pepe-Silvia-Scene.png

Sometimes we make things way harder than they need to be for the sake of trying to make them easy.

Hi.

VFR.
ACCGUMPPS. Accessories, Carburetor Heat, Cowl Flaps, Gas, Undercarriage, Mixture, Prop, Pump, Safety: Seat Belt, Doors, Brief.... This Can Be Used during a level off, climb, gear down and before landing or any other time a change is made.

IFR.

e9e7ac4c7f50655d75ee0173aebed553ac1d19907617021e8290e3b4d3512c46.jpg

ACCGUMPPS
8T's
The two worst examples of mnemonic abuse: take a simple, arguably useful, mnemonic and mangle it beyond recognition.

My all time favorite mnemonic discussion was a heated argument about whether "Turn" or "Time" was required to come first. :rolleyes:

My all time favorite mnemonic discussion was a heated argument about whether "Turn" or "Time" was required to come first. :rolleyes:
Sounds like something that a Ron Levy is just waiting to pounce on.

Hi all,

Altitude
Time - if needed
Everything else -flow

Route - needle centered
Altitude
Pre-landing checks

Course/source
Route
Altitude
Flags
Time
Everything else (flow)

Using mnemonics is an unnecessary use of brain cells. You need to remember the mnemonic, then you need to remember how to translate it to words, and then you have to do the tasks. You are making life unnecessarily difficult. Just write down the tasks in the words that makes the most sense to you. No need for mnemonics or clever acronyms. Actually, don't even look at the checklist until after you have done them. Then look at it only to make sure you didn't miss anything.

I always liked 5T’s because it can be used at all points during the approach. I call it out at each fix.

The OP was asking about mnemonics to use at the FAP. IMO this is a late and busy point to be playing memory games. I do a pre-landing check, then 5Ts just before the FAF.

That always messed me up

Yep. Exactly.

I also begin with a blank piece of paper and write down exactly what I hear, using shorthand. I don't need a reminder of the elements of an IFR clearance.

I do recite the five "T"s over the appropriate fixes, though...

Back