Red Bull Super SkyMaster

Re-read my above post. You'll figure it out. ;)
My point was to have a rear loading cargo door. No idea how a 21o plays into that. You may have well mentioned that Cessna also made a 150 at one time.

Damn... always thought the Skymaster was a cool plane.. this is some great footage. Especially love the interior cockpit shots of this

One day when Tantalum is rich I'll have a 337 in my hanger
I used to have a bunch of 337s in my logbooks...does that count? :)

This airplane is my ideal, affordable, ordinary private pilot, Caribbean cruising machine. I too am one of those drawn to the Skymaster.

I am still unsure about a Skymaster. I have about 8 hours in one in 4 legs. It was a Riley conversion. Really nice interior and exterior paint. Two of the legs had problems. On one leg in the clouds we lost the vacuum pump and soon after the attitude indicators. Between the two pilots sitting up front we were able to do an approach and land.

The other problem was we lost electrical, meaning we lost all electrical equipment including the radio. In the clouds. Which means we were navigating by TLAR. (that looks about right) With one pilot flying and the other going through the emergency checklist, we were able to get one alternator online and get vectored into VFR conditions and land.

But the other two legs when everything was working it was a pleasure to fly. When everything wasn't working it was a bear. Maybe that is why the owner would not fly it by himself. And the owners wife refused to ride in it. I do feel it was more of that particular airplane and not the entire fleet of Skymasters that was the problem.

I am still unsure about a Skymaster. I have about 8 hours in one in 4 legs. It was a Riley conversion. Really nice interior and exterior paint. Two of the legs had problems. On one leg in the clouds we lost the vacuum pump and soon after the attitude indicators. Between the two pilots sitting up front we were able to do an approach and land.

The other problem was we lost electrical, meaning we lost all electrical equipment including the radio. In the clouds. Which means we were navigating by TLAR. (that looks about right) With one pilot flying and the other going through the emergency checklist, we were able to get one alternator online and get vectored into VFR conditions and land.

But the other two legs when everything was working it was a pleasure to fly. When everything wasn't working it was a bear. Maybe that is why the owner would not fly it by himself. And the owners wife refused to ride in it. I do feel it was more of that particular airplane and not the entire fleet of Skymasters that was the problem.
Sounds like an individual airplane issue. Not enough to condemn an entire type of airplane. It seems like the same issues you had, could happen in any airplane with a vacuum system and electrical system. WRT this particular airplane, follow the wife's lead. She knows...

What would have made the skymaster awesome is 400HP on the front, dump the rear engine, and a have a rear loading cargo door. Though 300 and Turbo would probably work too.
Our maybe go the other way?
Cessna-337-Skymaster-OPV-Pelican.jpg

How about a turboprop single engine version?
099d1dae0af2157f9fbcc4b41f0b2780.jpg

Back