Antenna Yaesu

SkySpy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
My Yaesu Aviator Pro (?model 100)has a 7 1/2 inch rubber antenna. Works great but circular cracks are forming. Someone suggested dipping it in that liquid rubber (think tool handle coating) but I need better advice. Perhaps someone knows what replacement antenna would work as this is an old model?

If it has a BNC connector, which I believe all the Yaesu aircraft radios had, I use a HAM radio antenna, MFJ-1717,. It is longer than the stock rubber ducky antenna and has almost a perfect match at 121.5.... better than on my HAM radios!. It is longer and a little pain in the flight bag, but does receive and transmit farther..... more range than the rubber ducky.

Mine used SMA. I adpated to BNC so I could hook to the plane's antenna.

If it has a BNC connector, which I believe all the Yaesu aircraft radios had, I use a HAM radio antenna, MFJ-1717,. It is longer than the stock rubber ducky antenna and has almost a perfect match at 121.5.... better than on my HAM radios!. It is longer and a little pain in the flight bag, but does receive and transmit farther..... more range than the rubber ducky.

"ham", not "HAM". It's not an acronym. :p

N6TPT

Thank you for these ideas...I think it is BNC ? Simple screw in..I think,other than the round cracking, it is in good shape.... could the rubber dip hurt the reception?

Attachments

• 2A8523EB-3F4E-492D-B36F-D9CA0F7620A6.jpeg
    2A8523EB-3F4E-492D-B36F-D9CA0F7620A6.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 27
Nope, that's a male SNA on the radio. Same as my old VXA-700. You can get an adapter that lets you connect it to a BNC.

However if you want to replace the antenna, you need one with a recessed female SMA like the existing antenna. The good news is you can get aftermarket ones for $20.

https://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/12160.htm

Pick the VERTEX SMA FEMALE version

Dunking or spraying tool dip on it will work fine for this rubber coated dummy load. The coating is purely cosmetic.

Nope, that's a male SNA on the radio. Same as my old VXA-700. You can get an adapter that lets you connect it to a BNC.

However if you want to replace the antenna, you need one with a recessed female SMA like the existing antenna. The good news is you can get aftermarket ones for $20.

https://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/12160.htm

Pick the VERTEX SMA FEMALE version

Dunking or spraying tool dip on it will work fine for this rubber coated dummy load. The coating is purely cosmetic.
I just ordered it...seems like the simplist way to go...I’ll return the dip, or play around with my current antenna after the new one arrives and it works. Thank you so much Ron and everyone.

That dip stuff has lots of good uses. My wife uses it to waterproof her plant racks. The only problem is if you're not careful it will turn into solid rubber sitting on the shelf.
I used the aerosol version to coat the inside of my wine dispenser.

Funny my Yeasu does have a BNC connector. I actually ordered a com antenna and will install on the bottom of my Sport and run a cable for my handheld. It's a back up incase I loose primary com. I keep the headset adapter screwed in so all I need to do is plug in a headset and I'm good to go.

Funny how we plan ahead...when I got this little Yaesu as a backup, I also bought the AA battery pack and the headset adapter wire. Of course the old style rechargeable pack has since died so I feel fortunate to have the AA pack now as primary for a backup comm ..it is great for ATIS or AWOS and other pre startup tasks. I just used it for a clearance from an uncontrolled field.

My dog ate the end of the antenna off of my portable. I put some heat shrink on it and it works fine.

Never trust the rechargeable packs in an emergency. I always have the AA pack and my Costco brick of AA cells available. I can tell you the story of my NORDO approach into IAD some day.

Amusingly, just about any antenna works OK on these handhelds. Years ago, I bought an old Sporty's handheld off one of the boards for small dollars that was missing the rubber duck. I wanted to test it so I stuck an old 144/440 MHz ham rubber duck I had hanging around. I dialed up Dulles Clearance Delivery (the tower is about two or three miles from my house) and called them. They heard me just fine. That's the antenna that's been on the radio ever since. Mostly, it gets used to talk on the local airport frequency here (or to kick the runway lights on at times).

Never trust the rechargeable packs in an emergency. I always have the AA pack and my Costco brick of AA cells available. I can tell you the story of my NORDO approach into IAD some day.

Amusingly, just about any antenna works OK on these handhelds. Years ago, I bought an old Sporty's handheld off one of the boards for small dollars that was missing the rubber duck. I wanted to test it so I stuck an old 144/440 MHz ham rubber duck I had hanging around. I dialed up Dulles Clearance Delivery (the tower is about two or three miles from my house) and called them. They heard me just fine. That's the antenna that's been on the radio ever since. Mostly, it gets used to talk on the local airport frequency here (or to kick the runway lights on at times).
Nice story...someday for the IAD story !!

You spelled "rubber dummy load" wrong...

Amen to that. Dummy load is about right for many cheap antennas. :p

I also agree with flyingron about using tool dip to fix the antenna. It certainly won't make it any worse than it already is, and if you have the dip already, that's the cheapest way to go.

Do you have a 2m handy talkie? Just use that antenna. ;) Match is so close mabe SWR of 1.1:1.

But you'd stand a better chance of radiating a signal with the 2m antenna. ;)

My Yaesu Aviator Pro (?model 100)has a 7 1/2 inch rubber antenna. Works great but circular cracks are forming. Someone suggested dipping it in that liquid rubber (think tool handle coating) but I need better advice. Perhaps someone knows what replacement antenna would work as this is an old model?

Duct Tape is the answer to this and so many other questions.

Back