Video of r/w flight vs XP11

Jim Rosenow

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Rosenow

A new user on the X-Plane sim forum posted this over-under view to youtube.com.

To record the flight for XP11, he used an app developed by Austin Meyer...developer of XPlane....called Xavion. First I heard of it, but it's piqued my interest.

Thought you folks might find the vid of interest. It's amazing how far home sims have come.

Jim

PS- I have no financial or personal interest in XP or Xavion. XP user, but just found out about Xavion, which does much more than record flights....impressive so far.

Last edited:
Hi Jim and everyone.
While it may look like this is impressive, to some, this scenery resolution, and better, existed in other sims, like MSFSX for over 10 years, by using Ortho photos, and in G. sim view.
Have a close look at the horizon and see the poor definition of the peaks / mountains. In addition the best you can get from XP is about 50SM of visibility, even when you set it to 100.
Adding insult to injury the flight dynamics in the light GA is very poor, and 15 years later, after they already declared the best flight model theory, blade element, they are still making changes to the flight dynamics, at the level that many of the acft. in the same version, XP11, are not back wards compatible and you have to redesign to make it work.
It is unfortunate that only seem to concentrate to the eye candy area / visual model, smoke and mirrors, that takes a lot of processing power, and not what is really needed in the Flight simulator, flight dynamics.
There are some better sims that do a better job, in flight dynamics, and use less processing power, if that is what you want.

XP11Vid2Scrs.jpg

Hi, bluesideup! Guess I was more going for 'how cool is it to do this?' rather than endorsing any particular sim in this thread. I'm....um....what would it be?...not ambidextrous, cause there's 3 choices.... amtrixdextrous? I've got SSD's with the 3 major sims on them....less than a minute to swap them out. Not gonna do the better-than thing....use what works for you, of course!

Jim

Hi Jim.
For me that kind of stuff is superficial, if it lacks the ability to identify ground references, like the mountains in this pic, and many others around the city, like towers that are missing, it is not very useful as a VFR Tool. Add to that the inability to set a cockpit view, in the C172, like you see in real life, with the top of cowl, and the wing tips, it diminishes it's VFR / Tool value further.
In addition, if you cannot demonstrate maneuvers like Spins, fly the numbers.. restricts it to a very narrow window of use, more like fun / game than a flight sim.
Over the years there were many real World pilots suggesting, and pointing out problems, that could have been fixed but they completely ignored their inputs, and are just now trying to implement some.
Some of the older flight acft models, that did a decent representation / simulation are no longer compatible / working in the latest version, hat give one, that wants a tool, a very low level of confidence that this will ever be a serious flight sim. The only use I can see, with limitations, is for scenery view and some IFR practice.

Thanks for posting that Jim! Neat to see how far sims have come over the last decade or so.

Bluesideup, I have to disagree with a lot of what you say. It's true that a simulator will never be a great VFR tool, but their use goes far beyond viewing scenery and limited IFR practice. When I was going through my PPL training I flew every one of my cross countries in the sim, multiple times, before doing it in real life. I was able to practice focusing on control (even though it was a bit different) while managing navigation, radios and my flight plan. It was also helpful in practicing those rote procedures that you need to run a hundred times to drill into your brain. That type of practice was invaluable for me and let me keep my head in the practice game even during breaks in training. No doubt in my mind that it helped. Now that I'm going through IFR training it's even more helpful. I takeoff, establish the climb and then zoom in on the instrument panel. Again it helps me drill procedures and the juggling act of avionics, communications and navigation into my head.

Hi TF.
When I was going through my PPL training I flew every one of my cross countries in the sim, multiple times, before doing it in real life. I was able to practice focusing on control (even though it was a bit different) while managing navigation, radios and my flight plan. It was also helpful in practicing those rote procedures that you need to run a hundred times to drill into your brain.

What you describe was available in the Radio Shack and Vic 20 computers 40 years ago. You can also do most of it in G Earth, with much better ground reference views, for free.
I expect a simulator to do a lot more nowdays, like Spins, Steep turns that behave like the real acft, L8, ability to demo Ground reference maneuvers... demonstrate proper views of the acft from inside the cockpit, like in a real acft, and outside which XP does fine in, ability to demonstrate Xwind technique, taxi with maximum demonstrated Xwind capability, even some of the finer behaviors like adverse yaw, ability to control the acft using rudder, proper behavior when behind the power curve....
I am not disputing, and I always was a proponent to everyone including the FAA, of the flight simulators, what I am trying to point out is that what is shown, and everyone is going Ga Ga, about is very superficial and not even close to what makes / is a Flight simulators.
As to your IFR rating, that can be useful assuming you get the proper set up configured, and get an acft that simulates/ looks like what you use in real life. For IFR there is a lot of very fine / subtle maneuvers / touches, distance and size between instruments, that, if you want to practice correctly and develop a proper scan, must be dressed and I would suggest that you have your CFI help you and tell you what you should, or should not, practice. Negative knowledge / learning transfer can be very difficult to correct.
Getting into one of these Heavies, and pretending that I am some hot shot super stick, pushing buttons, does nothing for me, or most pilots for that matter of fact.

Last edited:
Hi TF.
What you describe was available in the Radio Shack and Vic 20 computers 40 years ago.
Hey, I resemble that remark. :)
ifr_cov1.jpg

http://www.wanttaja.com/ifr.html

Ron Wanttaja

Hi Ron and everyone.
I really enjoyed reading your write up. I still have a couple of CPM boxes in my garage somewhere, and a mother / breadboard with the 8080 still, which was the first micro computer I had, having to write my OS, Bios... Lots of fun and frustration, that machine language is enough to give one brain short circuits. Assembly and Basic came along, what a relief, but I still had to bread board most of the controllers, until Tarbell and a couple of others came along, then, Apple, RShack, Vic.....
I apologize for side tracking the thread but a lot of neurons and synapses, that I thought were dead and gone, were reawakened and started firing.

Back