Red Bull Super SkyMaster

Tantalum

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
San_Diego_Pilot
Damn... always thought the Skymaster was a cool plane.. this is some great footage. Especially love the interior cockpit shots of this

One day when Tantalum is rich I'll have a 337 in my hanger

[QUOTE="Tantalum, post:

One day when Tantalum is rich I'll have a 337 in my hanger[/QUOTE]
I always liked the 337, heard the cabin is very noisy.

Not a bad video, but I'm not sure what the purpose of having Red Bull associated with it is. Unless they're going to do aerobatics or something with it, it just seems kinda boring by Red Bull-standards.

They were scooting along pretty good there. Looks like it was fire walled the whole demo.

Looks like it was fire walled the whole demo
Saw that too.. the airspeed indicator was blocked for most of it but just judging by the rate of change on the VSI and those turns they were probably pulling a solid 2 or 2.5 Gs. I love the dude in the right seat just hanging out

I'm not sure what the purpose of having Red Bull associated with it is
Cool looking plane? Red Bull takes a surprisingly keen interest in aviation. Their DC6 is beautiful too

I always liked the 337, heard the cabin is very noisy
I've heard the same.. but with a pair A20s on honestly it becomes a non-issue

I love how clean that 337 is. That plane was manufactured in 1969.. looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Both its certification and airworthiness dates are from 2011.. wonder what the back story to the plane is..

Wonder if the pilot is an O2 driver from the old days. With the boom-failure history on that thing, not sure I'd be pulling Gs /doing mild acro in it... I know, I know... don't say it!

Not a bad video, but I'm not sure what the purpose of having Red Bull associated with it is. Unless they're going to do aerobatics or something with it, it just seems kinda boring by Red Bull-standards.
That's not a plane that has been sponsored by Redbull, that's a plane that's OWNED by redbull.

Very impressive fleet:
https://www.flyingbulls.at/en/fleet/

With the boom-failure history on that thing
Yikes! I'm sure the plane has been well inspected and in theory if they stay within the operating G limitations they're "ok" - did they have ADs for it, or? Never knew they had issues with the booms

Engine cooling is an issue. I don't understand why there are not cowl flaps.

Yikes! I'm sure the plane has been well inspected and in theory if they stay within the operating G limitations they're "ok" - did they have ADs for it, or? Never knew they had issues with the booms

Caveat... I tried to find some references but couldn't, but I remember a specific case where it was determined that one of the booms failed...killed 4, as I recall...this was more than 10 years ago and not sure whether it was a 336 or 337 and I don't know if the airplane was flown outside of its envelope to cause it... after reflection, maybe I overstated the concern...

Engine cooling is an issue. I don't understand why there are not cowl flaps.
There are cowl flaps on the 337 series. The original fixed-gear 336 (1964) had an adjustable intake at the top of the rear firewall with an axial exhaust fan around the rear prop shaft.

cessna_336.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-15 at 9.49.22 AM.png

The major redesign for the retractable 337 (1965) included a fixed scoop on top (looked like an upside-down P-51), with electrically-operated cowl flaps on the sides of the rear cowl.

cessna_337.jpg

I think the Skymaster is a great looking plane, but I know others feel quite differently!

That's not a plane that has been sponsored by Redbull, that's a plane that's OWNED by redbull.

Very impressive fleet:
https://www.flyingbulls.at/en/fleet/

That explains it a bit more. I was under the impression that this was a demo of an aircraft they use for airshows, not just a form of transport.

why was the dude wearing oven mitts?

I don't feel like looking it up but how 'spensive or those, roughly?

Lol, I noticed that as well. I figured he was wearing the gloves so that the feel was the same as when he was doing an air show, but since it's not likely an airshow bird, it makes less sense.

Caveat... I tried to find some references but couldn't, but I remember a specific case where it was determined that one of the booms failed...killed 4, as I recall...this was more than 10 years ago and not sure whether it was a 336 or 337 and I don't know if the airplane was flown outside of its envelope to cause it... after reflection, maybe I overstated the concern...

I seem to remember that failure. If I recall correct, the owner had a habit of high speed passes with sharp pullups at the end. I believe it was during one of those hard pulls the boom failed.

this may sound silly but you need a multi-engine rating for this, right?

My buddy has a Navy O-2. There were only 6 the Navy bought from the air force for testing.

He got his multi in a civilian 337 back in the day so he has a Centerline thrust limitation on his cert.

I always though it was a cool looking plane. But for a “twin” it’s amazingly slow. But it can haul some stuff that’s for sure. Looks like this guy has it walled!!!

Trade-a-plane shows six in the $60k-$80k range and a pressurized G model at $200k as the outlier.

Don't know why @Tantalum needs to wait until he's rich. Just need to be comfortably well off.:)

Wonder if the pilot is an O2 driver from the old days. With the boom-failure history on that thing, not sure I'd be pulling Gs /doing mild acro in it... I know, I know... don't say it!
What boom failure history?

Don't know why @Tantalum needs to wait until he's rich. Just need to be comfortably well off.
for some reason this is reminding me of the scene from Office Space where he asks his neighbor what he would do with a million dollars

I could be wrong, but I thought the Skymaster was Never certified for 3 bladed props???

The fixed gear 336 was a dog.

why was the dude wearing oven mitts?

Why those are the best fire retardant military flying gloves ever made by the lowest bidder you can find.....

Several years ago I took a pair to Alaska to use a summer flying gloves. They lasted about a week before they fell all apart.

Skymasters are cool Like @Tantalum, I always wanted to own one and I understand several on this forum have one. I need to find someone with one and see if I can at least get a ride. I’ve heard they can be an expensive maintenance hog especially if there has been delayed maintenance which many in the $60-80K have. There is an STC for 3 bladed composite props by MT. Saw one for sale with big Continentals (300 hp) and 3 blade props, turbos with intercoolers, etc. about a year ago. IIRC, there were asking $300K or so. Riley Rockets are also up there. Oh well, never going to be rich (I retired) so I am probably not going to own one unless someone want to trade for my Tiger..

this may sound silly but you need a multi-engine rating for this, right?

Yup. And if you get it in a Skymaster you are limited to only centreline thrust twins (which for all practical purposes means only Skymasters).

...I've heard the same.. but with a pair A20s on honestly it becomes a non-issue...

Not quite. Sandwich yourself between the two engines and you'll notice quite a difference compared to a conventional twin, A20s notwithstanding.

What would have made the skymaster awesome is 400HP on the front, dump the rear engine, and a have a rear loading cargo door. Though 300 and Turbo would probably work too.

210s have a door on the centerline?

Back