Do I need to OH propellers before sale ?

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
I am getting my airplane ready for sale. While discussing with mechanic he suggested that propeller OH might help with sale. Its 3 blade Hartzell installed new on 10/2000 .Since then TT on propellers is 2080 hours. According to Hartzell owners manual OH limits are 2400 hrs or 72 months. Of course its impossible to meet calendar requirements for the most private owners. When I OHed the engine in 2008 we decided not to OH propellers due to good condition. Propellers seems to be in good shape no leaks, very rarely needed to file them.I always get compliments from other plane owners who fly with me about how smooth the propellers sound. The plane flies regularly and rarely sat more than 1 week without flying.
Question is should I OH propellers and price the airplane accordingly or let the potential new owner decide on his own and give him price break?

It sounds like you're the kind of seller I would like to buy an airplane from. I'd probably just let the new owner decide how they would like to proceed.

Generally, after 10 years, prop shops insist on overhauls instead of IRANs, this is a recommendation from prop manufacturers.
If the prop has been overhauled or sustained damage, you may end up replacing the blades. Most people serviced the prop and governor (if constant speed) when overhauling the engine, since almost no labor is required since it’s removed anyway.
What is the condition of the prop?

Tom

Generally, after 10 years, prop shops insist on overhauls instead of IRANs, this is a recommendation from prop manufacturers.
If the prop has been overhauled or sustained damage, you may end up replacing the blades. Most people serviced the prop and governor (if constant speed) when overhauling the engine, since almost no labor is required since it’s removed anyway.
What is the condition of the prop?

Tom

Thanks Tom
There is no damage history on this propellers. Conditions is good and during last 11 years of my ownership there has been no leaks and it needed filing only 2-3 times so very little loss of metal.
Now the reason I brought this topic up was because here is what I am thinking. The new owner might agree with that propellers are in good condition but given the time and hours he will end up with OH in the future and he might argue that I should factor in the price of new propellers during the sale because there is no guaranty that old propellers will be good enough to be OHed. But if I Oh them and take chance on them right now I can keep my sale price slightly higher.

Last edited:
If the cost of the OH is more than what one will get out of the sale, why bother? Sounds like the prop will keep on keepin' on for many years. I'd be leery of a freshly OH'd prop for no other reason than "because." (What's the owner trying to hide?) I would be thinking that the engine took a slow-mo prop strike and bent a blade - and the prop strike AD was ignored. I'd walk and find another airplane. I am also a believer that a younger component has a greater probability of failure compared to a well maintained component with high TIS. I'd rather buy your airplane with the prop that you have dutifully maintained vs a newly OH'd prop.

If that is your plane in the avatar, the market is pretty good for sellers, imo.

I would leave it alone or have it inspected, repainted, and re-sealed. I suspect that would run $1500 or so to have done. The potential issue with that is if they discover any out of specification components that you would then have to address.

If the cost of the OH is more than what one will get out of the sale, why bother? Sounds like the prop will keep on keepin' on for many years. I'd be leery of a freshly OH'd prop for no other reason than "because." (What's the owner trying to hide?) I would be thinking that the engine took a slow-mo prop strike and bent a blade - and the prop strike AD was ignored. I'd walk and find another airplane. I am also a believer that a younger component has a greater probability of failure compared to a well maintained component with high TIS. I'd rather buy your airplane with the prop that you have dutifully maintained vs a newly OH'd prop.

If that is your plane in the avatar, the market is pretty good for sellers, imo.

Good points . Agree 100% Thanks
yes that what I heard that market is good. But its a T tail Lance and has 7100 Hrs TT on air frame but otherwise it is very well equipped and well maintained with lots of new things in last few years. We will find out soon what market has to offer

when they OH a prop they cut them down. After so many, they condemn it by not meeting min specs. You shorten the life of props when you OH, which is different than engines. Leave that thing alone. As a buyer, I would prefer you actually NOT touch the prop, so that as a buyer I can get more service from it. IRAN is the way to go. But in your case it's not giving problems, so the answer is do not touch. Prop shops of course frown at this advice, but they've never found a prop that didn't need condemning.

Selling the Lance? Should take about 0.69 seconds in this market. Judging by the twin marker thread, is that's where you're heading for the upgrade?

If I was buying I'd prefer they not be "freshly overhauled" if they are working fine. You probably won't have to discount anywhere near what an overhaul would cost, so it's probably better for you to leave well enough alone.

If it's the ONLY thing standing in the way of a sale to a legitimate, qualified buyer then make that decision at that time is my recommendation.

Let the buyer decide. Always worked well for me and it’s what I want when buying.

If I was buying I'd prefer they not be "freshly overhauled" if they are working fine. You probably won't have to discount anywhere near what an overhaul would cost, so it's probably better for you to leave well enough alone.

If it's the ONLY thing standing in the way of a sale to a legitimate, qualified buyer then make that decision at that time is my recommendation.
I'd agree. Sometimes a fresh "fix" is viewed with a little suspicion, too. ie. Did the owner have an unreported prop-strike?

when they OH a prop they cut them down. After so many, they condemn it by not meeting min specs. You shorten the life of props when you OH, which is different than engines. Leave that thing alone. As a buyer, I would prefer you actually NOT touch the prop, so that as a buyer I can get more service from it. IRAN is the way to go. But in your case it's not giving problems, so the answer is do not touch. Prop shops of course frown at this advice, but they've never found a prop that didn't need condemning.

Selling the Lance? Should take about 0.69 seconds in this market. Judging by the twin marker thread, is that's where you're heading for the upgrade?

Well initially thinking about a twin but my children had grown up now ( still in college but just don't want to fly with me anymore ) so I do not see any need for large airplane. Instead seriously thinking about start training for a rotary wing and I have pretty good prospect of getting into partnership for nice Enstrom 280 C.

Sell it as is,you most likely will not get your money back from the overhaul.

Well initially thinking about a twin but my children had grown up now ( still in college but just don't want to fly with me anymore ) so I do not see any need for large airplane. Instead seriously thinking about start training for a rotary wing and I have pretty good prospect of getting into partnership for nice Enstrom 280 C.
Can you adopt me? I mean, if your kids don't wanna fly.....I like twins. I've even flown them, Royal ones, some even numbered cezznas, South American ones, PNW ones. Can do windows as well. References upon request.

If you are done with long flights and want to fly for fun again getting into a Enstrom 280 or any other helicopter is a great idea, have fun try a few other helicopters before you decide.

I wouldn’t

Just list the times and don’t make something a problem unless it is a problem.

Thanks Tom
There is no damage history on this propellers. Conditions is good and during last 11 years of my ownership there has been no leaks and it needed filing only 2-3 times so very little loss of metal.
Now the reason I brought this topic up was because here is what I am thinking. The new owner might agree with that propellers are in good condition but given the time and hours he will end up with OH in the future and he might argue that I should factor in the price of new propellers during the sale because there is no guaranty that old propellers will be good enough to be OHed. But if I Oh them and take chance on them right now I can keep my sale price slightly higher.

That’s exactly what I was thinking, kinda of depends on the condition of the blades vs the rest of the plane. If your plane is excellent condition but the prop isn’t, then they might stand out.
It’s too late now, but I would recommend anyone getting their engine overhauled to at least have the prop resealed and repainted, thereby not removing any material. A good prop shop should not take off anymore than required.
I would just put the plane up for sale, after all if the prop or anything else becomes a problem, you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Tom

Back